Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2017 5:00:25 PM EDT
This will be my first year hunting with my 45/70 and am looking at recomendations for the best hunting grain bullet for it. Ill be hunting 125 yards or under on food plots as well as hunting some thicker brush from ground blinds. I currently load 300gr Hornady rounds and plan to load some hotter ones if I decide to hunt with them. What grain would be best? 300, 325 (FTX), 405, cast rounds etc?

Any recommendations would be great! This will be used on white tail and hogs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hunting deer?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hunting deer?
View Quote
Yes, white tail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
My preference is for 350 to 405 grain cast bullets shot at modest velocities through a suppressor.  They were killing deer and hogs with trapdoor level loads a long time ago so I don't see any need for T-rex killer ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My preference is for 350 to 405 grain cast bullets shot at modest velocities through a suppressor.  They were killing deer and hogs with trapdoor level loads a long time ago so I don't see any need for T-rex killer ammo.
View Quote
Of course. I guess my question is, what would be best for punching through light brush. I will ONLY take shots where I am sure I can humanly take the animal but that doesn't mean there will not be some brush etc in the way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Of course. I guess my question is, what would be best for punching through light brush. I will ONLY take shots where I am sure I can humanly take the animal but that doesn't mean there will not be some brush etc in the way.
View Quote
If you can't get a clear shot due to heavy brush then you need to get closer or thin your shooting lanes.  Relying on any caliber gun as a 'brush buster' is likely to result in a missed or wounded deer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you can't get a clear shot due to heavy brush then you need to get closer or thin your shooting lanes.  Relying on any caliber gun as a 'brush buster' is likely to result in a missed or wounded deer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This only needs saying once.........even though I have 30 years of Guns and Ammo, Rifleshooter, and half a dozen other gun mags from the 70s-2000s all saying the same thing over and over.

"Brush Buster" bullets are quite simply a complete and total "MYTH". Physics and stuff ya know.......
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright, this thread is already going in the wrong direction. I am not talking about shooting through privet hedge, thorn bushes, thick bunches of small trees etc. I am talking about a deer, standing next to a small sapling with small limbs on it. IF I take the shot, I would be looking at small twigs and leaves being the main culprit to be hit possibly. I am not going to risk an animals life due to some limbs being in the way. I do not mind waiting for a deer all season and never taking one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Really like the HSM COWBOY loads as it's the original 45-70 speed and grain.  It's a flat face so yes it does punch through brush better than a spire, multiple videos proving this.  I also like the leverevolution 325 grain, although it can mess up meat badly if your off.  It used both and both were drt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
It is a 45/70 for goodness sake. Pretty much any load you pick is going to do a more than ample job on whitetail inside 125 yards.

I would buy a couple, and pick the one that shoots best through your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Personal preference for this size game is a 300 grn JHP.  If they aren't DRT, they generally penetrate completely and leave a big enough hole to guarantee a decent blood trail (assuming they haven't piled up within view).

But as mentioned, anything from a Trapdoor level 405 grn lead bullet to an elephant stomping 525 grn hard cast round will work.  

Geesh, it's only a deer not a Panzer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Geesh, it's only a deer not a Panzer.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Alright, this thread is already going in the wrong direction. I am not talking about shooting through privet hedge, thorn bushes, thick bunches of small trees etc. I am talking about a deer, standing next to a small sapling with small limbs on it. IF I take the shot, I would be looking at small twigs and leaves being the main culprit to be hit possibly. I am not going to risk an animals life due to some limbs being in the way. I do not mind waiting for a deer all season and never taking one.
View Quote
I think the point is that it doesn't matter what bullet you use.  If it hits anything on its way to the intended target it may act in an unpredictable manner.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
IV8888 has a video demonstrating different calibers shooting through very thick brush. The verdict was heavier and slower is the way to go with a brush gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Hornady FTX for factory ammo --- not much drop at 200 yards either if I ever have to take a shot that far
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#15]
You know, heavy and slow bullets are better on brush than light fast ones right up until the time you actually hit a bit of brush.  Then it's a crap shoot as to which is better.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Powder coated Lyman Gould mold 330gr HP bullets destroy things.

I’ve shot them out of my 458 SOCOM. The hollow point front breaks up into 3-4 pieces and the base of the bullet keeps on going.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IV8888 has a video demonstrating different calibers shooting through very thick brush. The verdict was heavier and slower is the way to go with a brush gun.
View Quote
I have seen that video and Eric did a fine job!
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#18]
405 gr cast and powder coated bullets sized at .460 shoot lights out with 49 gr AA2015 out of a guide gun. Chronos 1800 fps
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I would experiment with what shoots best through the gun and what you're willing to shoot (if recoil sensitive).

45-70 will handle everything in North America, I wouldn't get too in the weeds about whitetail.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
In my 1895 SBL I use Hornady Lever Evolution 325s. I have never had anything walk away from it and longest shot was about 150 yards.

In my Ruger #3, I use a handloaded Barnes TSX 300 gr solid copper hollow point loaded with 47 grains of IMR 4227. About 2300fps.

That is like launching a meteor at them. I have never had anything do anything but flop over DRT with those.

What ever route you go you will be fine, but like another poster mentioned, the shooting through brush thing is bs. Get a clearer shot and you’re golden.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top