Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2017 1:29:33 PM EDT
It's an MVA #130 with their version of the Hadley eye cup. It compliments the rifle nicely and I may even be able to shoot it without my glasses.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you get it?  

What did it cost?  

Did it require any modifications to install?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the Tang mounted Peep sight club!!! I have Marbles Sights (windage and elevation adjustable) on some of my lever actions and LOVE THEM. Historically a sound concept for achieving better accuracy from lever guns, easier to use than barrel mounted rear sights, especially for longer ranges, they are the best option in my humble opinion. I think you will find that you will have an easier time getting good groups from your gun than you imagine. One of my favorite guns to shoot and hunt with is my 1954 vintage Win Model 94 in 30-30. With the Hornady Leverevolution ammo I am comfortable with shots out to 175-200 yards. Likely won't shoot game at that distance as I like to have a little more energy out there, but know that if I HAD to hit something out there, I can do so with confidence. ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My first exposure to tang sights was a Marbles on a 92. This thing is in a whole different league, though, but it's also 3x as expensive.

I bought it from Montana Vintage Arms. It was $365 for the sight and Hadley eye cup. My Winchester is already drilled and tapped for a tang sight so it was just a matter of tightening down 2 screws.

I think I'm going to pick up a Soule sight for my Winchester 1885 45-70.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Great sight.  Tang sights with a target aperture (about .040"-.045") are great for us older shooters or those with less than 20-20 vision as the small aperture very close to your eye increases one's Depth of Field so that even those of us who need 'zoom lens' on our glasses (bi-focals or blended lens) can still see both the front sight and target clearly.

I've got a Marbles tang sight on my 24" Rossi '92 357mag I use to shoot steel at 300 yds with:

And a Lyman Tang sight on my 24" Uberti '73 45 Colt I shoot 240grn lead out to 250 yds with:

Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Winchester 1892 made in 1893 Turnbull, restored ..........

Winchester 1876 made in 1882, restored .............

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#6]
drfcolt's real Winchesters are truly beautiful; both are a work of art . . . . . . . . . . and therein lies the problem with them to me.  They are too valuable and too beautiful to actually use.  Like some of my WWII collection, both Axis and Allies which are too valuable to use, they just sit there in my gun room.  S/N matching, correct, pristine examples of the arms of the last World War.  Preserved as part of history but too precious to use.

So I'd just ogle them once in a while but never, ever consider actually shooting them.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own either one of drfcolt's beauties but I could never bring myself to shoot one.  That's why I get the reproductions.  They are modern copies of those beautiful pieces but not worth much intrinsically other than to use and enjoy.  I can shoot them to my heart's content and not worry about damaging them, 'cause if they break, I fix them and start shooting again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
drfcolt's real Winchesters are truly beautiful; both are a work of art . . . . . . . . . . and therein lies the problem with them to me.  They are too valuable and too beautiful to actually use.  Like some of my WWII collection, both Axis and Allies which are too valuable to use, they just sit there in my gun room.  S/N matching, correct, pristine examples of the arms of the last World War.  Preserved as part of history but too precious to use.

So I'd just ogle them once in a while but never, ever consider actually shooting them.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own either one of drfcolt's beauties but I could never bring myself to shoot one.  That's why I get the reproductions.  They are modern copies of those beautiful pieces but not worth much intrinsically other than to use and enjoy.  I can shoot them to my heart's content and not worry about damaging them, 'cause if they break, I fix them and start shooting again.
View Quote
+1, they are beautiful and valuable.  

Now, where'd I put my Uberti?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally got to the range with my new 73. Unfortunately, it was an indoor range, but I had a good time nonetheless. I was shooting 225 gr Winchester cowboy loads. Here are my observations. 

1. This gun is a blast in 44-40.
2. Shooting 44-40 really does keep the action clean.
3. The tang sight made a huge difference and made shooting a pleasure.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I finally got to the range with my new 73. Unfortunately, it was an indoor range, but I had a good time nonetheless. I was shooting 225 gr Winchester cowboy loads. Here are my observations. 

1. This gun is a blast in 44-40.
2. Shooting 44-40 really does keep the action clean.
3. The tang sight made a huge difference and made shooting a pleasure.
View Quote
NOW go get some black powder loads (or roll yer own if you are a reloader) and go shoot them...........................wait for it..............AT NIGHT!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I can already tell I'm going to need to start reloading. 
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's why I also have shooters ..................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top