Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 1:46:57 AM EDT
Sighted in my 16" Rossi 92 with factory iron sights. At 25 yds the 158gr 38 FMJ's hit dead center about 1.5" high, all holes touching. Switched to 158 gr 357 mag FMJ's and the group 1/2" below center as expected but was about 1.5" to the right, again all holes touching. Drifted rear sight and got group centered, switched back to 38's and now they were 1.5" to the left. I repeated this several times with the same results. What would cause this ? Is this normal ? I'm at a lose. I ending up splitting the difference and now 38 is 3/4" left of center and 357 is 3/4" right of center. Very confused. Any thoughts ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Slower velocity bullets drift more.  Perhaps there was a crosswind.  Otherwise, I have one more idea.

Years ago I was shooting a friends SMLE.  I kept hitting consistently to the left.  I'm a southpaw he's right handed.  It seemed that as the rifle recoiled it pulled off to the opposite side when the upper body shifted (we were shooting standing) and thus had a different point of impact.

So, could the difference in to recoil account for a different shifting of the rifle on firing, thus throwing off the POI?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You right handed?  The heavier recoil of the .357 mag is pivoting the rifle to the right before the bullet leaves the barrel.  If not, I'm at a loss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top