Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 7:39:51 PM EDT
And would it benefit from being a scout style or regular just fine.

(If i do this, it will be my first lever gun that I plan to shoot.  I have several collectors Winchester models )
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
To scope a 45-70 is just a crime, the bullet drop at 150 yards is a ton, open sights is the only way to go for a great 45-70.
Henry is a fine rifle, you will have fun with that smoke poll.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with factory irons, or at most a new rear peep sight. It is  a sacrilege to scope a .45-70 lever gun.

If you have vision issues or just getting old like me, maybe a scope is the only logical way to go, if in that case,
Maybe go with a 2.5x fixed compact, or a small lite weigh 4x. If in the variable range go with a 1-4, 1.5-5, or if you have something laying around 2-7 with 32mm or 36 objective in a Scout configuration, maybe....
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sacrilege and criminal behavior aside....  I prefer low powered, somewhat compact scopes on my lever action rifles.  I have a Leupold variable (1.5-5x?) on my Marlin 444P and a fixed 2.5x Weaver on my 1895G. The Weaver is an old steel tube El Paso K series. Works great in strong daylight but lacks some in low light conditions.   I may end up replacing it with one similar to my Leupold.

Because of the somewhat stiff recoil of some .45-70 loads, I would recommend that you spend the money for a good quality low to medium powered scope mounted in good steel rings.

I have no experience with scout scopes so I cannot comment.

Attachment Attached File

Not all of my levers are scoped.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sacrilege and criminal behavior aside....  I prefer low powered, somewhat compact scopes on my lever action rifles.  I have a Leupold variable (1.5-5x?) on my Marlin 444P and a fixed 2.5x Weaver on my 1895G. The Weaver is an old steel tube El Paso K series. Works great in strong daylight but lacks some in low light conditions.   I may end up replacing it with one similar to my Leupold.

Because of the somewhat stiff recoil of some .45-70 loads, I would recommend that you spend the money for a good quality low to medium powered scope mounted in good steel rings.

I have no experience with scout scopes so I cannot comment.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/28721/IMG_2465-308238.JPG

Not all of my levers are scoped.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/28721/IMG_2466-308239.JPG
View Quote
I have been seriously looking at the Leupold VXR in German 4 recticle.

As far as scout scopes...
To keep from getting scope eyed
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have either a FX2 2.5X ultralight or VX3 1.5-5X on my leverguns - like both just fine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a scout set up on a 308 it take a little getting use to it. You can try a cheap scout scope to see if you like it.

I have shoot my friends marlin guide gun with a scout scope I believe it was a Leopold 2x6 good group at 200yds.
Modern loads for modern
Guns are quite stout not for the recoil sensitive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Weaver 1-3X Classic V.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top