Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2017 7:57:20 AM EDT
Hey all,
I'm trying to help a friend here. He has a marlin 336 in 30-30 with a straight stock ( non pistol grip ) and needs a new stock. Most all the stocks I see are for the pistol grip model. I've seen a few on ebay but they all require fitting, sanding, and drilling. Is there an easy swap out stock for this model? from what I've read the pistol grip style will not fit on it, is this true?  I'm not a lever action guy and my friend is not technical about guns.  Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#2]
lever is different too,The straight stock tends to be more desirable,rare though.Might be able to trade on the Marlin forum
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
They are out there and sometimes show up on ebay, gun broker, Numrich, Brownells etc.  You just have to be patient and look. FWIW the 39, 336, 1894 and 1895 buttstocks are interchangeable though the recoil pads vary.  I converted this 336 Spikehorn to a straight stock using parts from a 1895G:
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Will a guidegun stock fit? 1895G?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
It takes more than just a straight stock. You will also need the straight bottom metal and lever for a straight stock or mill off part of the curved lower tang and modify the curved lever to work with the straight stock.  Stocks, forearms, and bottom metal for the 1895, 444 and 336 series rifles will fit.

https://rifleshooter.com/2012/11/marlin-336-straight-stock-conversion/
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It takes more than just a straight stock. You will also need the straight bottom metal and lever for a straight stock or mill off part of the curved lower tang and modify the curved lever to work with the straight stock.  Stocks, forearms, and bottom metal for the 1895, 444 and 336 series rifles will fit.

https://rifleshooter.com/2012/11/marlin-336-straight-stock-conversion/
View Quote
OP has a straight stock, but I do get what you are saying.  I dislike the pistol grip stocks.  I sold my 336 because of it, but at least I made a profit on it.  The gun was a great shooter.  

Why does he need a new stock?  Getting rid of the checkering?  Why not refinish?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP has a straight stock, but I do get what you are saying.  I dislike the pistol grip stocks.  I sold my 336 because of it, but at least I made a profit on it.  The gun was a great shooter.  

Why does he need a new stock?  Getting rid of the checkering?  Why not refinish?  
View Quote
Ohhh... I need to pay closer attention! For whatever reason I thought he was asking about changing from pistol gripped to straight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top