Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 6:04:26 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just bought a Marlin 1895G and was thinking about scoping it.  I have never used or handled a "Scout" setup.  I shoot with regular scopes (not recently) and mainly only red dots over the past few years.

I was wondering if any of you all have this set up and how do you all like it?  I would hate to jump on a $600.00 scope and not like it.

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I put an aimpoint  9000L on one and like that. Scout scopes and pistol scopes with long eye relief can vary in what the eye relief is by a lot. I tend to think Leupold's scout scopes are better than others.  I have had a 1x Burris that I liked naturally they quit making it and nothing else I have ever bought from Burris have I ever been satisfied with.  Scout scopes generally speaking are for fast action shots so low power easily seen reticle which brings me back to the Aimpoint. One can mount a traditional scope on a Marlin lever action and even a 2-7 Redfield is probably a good match for these as they really are made to use out to about 150 yds max. Pretty steep trajectory and varies significantly by bullet weight and powder charge. They shoot a lot like a musket so one of the Nikon Muzzleloader scopes might have hold over marks in about the right place.

https://swfa.com/vortex-2-7x32-crossfire-ii-scout-scope.html   this Vortex 2-7 scout scope 9.45 in eye relief is only $149.99  good no fault warranty this brand.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have scout scopes on a couple of guns.  I prefer them over a red dot though I have those too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have that scope on an M-1A Scout, got it with the intent that I could throw it on the Guide Gun (my primary hunting rifle) as my eyes get older.  It's a great scope and works well on the M-1A, I'm sure it will serve well on an 1895.  I've only used it on paper at the range but I have no doubt it will perform well in the field.  I guess the emergence of holographic sights kind of brought an end to the scout scope, don't seem to see them much any more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried the scout scope setup on an 1895G and didn't like the change in balance and it made it awkward to carry for me. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally had a holo sight on my GS.  But, as I continue to age I've found I really need the advantages of a scope.  I happen to have the Leupy you mention on mine.  I'm happy with it.  I think it does ruin the lines a bit (but then I think that of all optics on leverguns) but the advantages far outweigh my since of aesthetics.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feed back guys!!!  I think I am going to look for a VXR regular, not scout.  As mentioned above I would hate to change the balance of it.

Also I shot it yesterday and I love shooting this thing!!!

Now time to look into reloading equipment.  I can't shoot $35-$50 ammo too often.

Thanks!
D
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If you mount a scope in the traditional location, make darned sure you get the eye relief right, and learn to ride the butt stock.  Elsewise you will have a nice crescent shaped scar above your master eye.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you mount a scope in the traditional location, make darned sure you get the eye relief right, and learn to ride the butt stock.  Elsewise you will have a nice crescent shaped scar above your master eye.
View Quote
LOL!  I have seen this on youtube all the time, that cracks me up!!  LOL!

On second thought, I want to try to get the eyepiece to sit just above the receiver, I don't like the look of a scope sitting further back.  Also I've never been smacked by a scope, nor do I want to.  I made the mistake of not resting my cheek on the stock when I was young.....  I went blind in my right eye for about 45-60 seconds..  that was scary...

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Leupold Scout Scope on my guide gun and a low power variable(1-6) on my AR-10.  The variable on my AR is a recent addition and is really quite nice.  I've had the Scout scope on my guide gun for close to,twenty years and have no complaints,  If I had to do it again I think I would put a 1-4 on the Marlin.  I might miss carrying the Marlin with my hand around the receiver.  I think you are headed in the right direction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top