Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2017 3:19:45 AM EDT
Thinking about having the Brush Hog package done but man... that is spendy. Anyone have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience with them but I emailed Lew Bonitz last year about building a Marlin SBR in 357 magnum.  He turned me down saying he had decided to focus on his own models instead.  Funny thing is a few months later he emailed me saying he would take the work but I had moved on at that point.  

Wild West Guns also builds SBRs for a lot less money than Grizzly.  I would recommend Ranger Point Precision but don't think they hold a Class 3 FFL, at least they didn't last year when I was talking to them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]
For me it would depend on how often I planned on using it.

Are you a guide that would use it all the time?

Do you just want to use it occasionally for fun?

Do you just have a ton of money to burn?

I would like one too, but I could never justify the cost if it was going to be in my safe 99.9% of the time.

If you get it, please post pics!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll let you guys know when mine comes back, hopefully before hunting season starts.

I'm pretty much going to have one lever gun so I figured all the mods I wanted to get done should get done by a professional.  I really like the look of his rifles and from what I've read, his work top notch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#4]
What is it you like about the package?

You can send your gun off and have a chopped and threaded barrel for less than $200. A diy smoothed action can be done with a set of stones and some Fitz. DRC sights, XS rail, sling, and lever can be bolted on without much trouble.

I'm pretty sure there is a place you can send your stock of to get the correct LOP.

On the high side you can have a close example for $1100 excluding LOP, but including the rifle (if purchased recently using the rebate).
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that is very expensive.  I shortened my guide guns barrel, added an extended magazine tube and mounted a Wild West guns Scout scope mount for less than $200.  I used a drill press, a hacksaw and a couple special files.  If your action is rough, lube it and use it.  It will smooth out.  I've shot the rifle a lot and am really happy with it
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello all, got my rifle back today.  It is as smooth as silk when loading, cocking and pulling the trigger.  

If you have the $, I recommend it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice! Now we need a range report.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Only thing I didn’t like about em was the “blast and blue” finish.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Took her out today for sight in and didn’t need to make an adjustment.  At 25 yards I was grouping less than an inch standing (sorry range was hot when I left, left my target up).  I was nailing the 6” steel plates at 100 yards five out of six times standing.  Clean break every time, I knew exactly when the hammer would fall.

I was in a bit of a rush and didn’t take my time to get exacts but for now minuet of deer is sufficient until the season is over.

Finish is ceracoat btw.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Took her out today for sight in and didn’t need to make an adjustment.  At 25 yards I was grouping less than an inch standing (sorry range was hot when I left, left my target up).  I was nailing the 6” steel plates at 100 yards five out of six times standing.  Clean break every time, I knew exactly when the hammer would fall.

I was in a bit of a rush and didn’t take my time to get exacts but for now minuet of deer is sufficient until the season is over.

Finish is ceracoat btw.
View Quote
@JPNY23
Which ceracoat color? Rifle looks great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@JPNY23
Which ceracoat color? Rifle looks great.
View Quote
Thanks!  It’s flat black, though you can choose colors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top