Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 12:23:00 AM EDT
So I finally saved Grandpa's 99 from my brother who is still behind enemy lines in a  liberal state.  The serial number puts it at about 95 years old, it was apparently Grandpa's favorite deer rifle. It is a take down model too and the take down mechanism on these things is really cool. The bluing has gone to a nice brown patina and I've got the round counter cleaned up nicely, I'm not going to mess with any of the metal other than just keeping it well oiled from now on.  The wood is dirty and scratched and dented.  

I love restoring the furniture on guns and have had really good luck with citrus stripper and a cycle in the dish washer finished with BLO or Tung Oil.  I'm just a little apprehensive with something so old and I'm looking for guidance so I don't screw it up.

Also, I kind of feel like a good hunting rifle needs a sling just like a good pistol needs a good holster.  So how do I tap the fore end for a sling with out screwing something up?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not the one to ask on tapping for sling swivels, but I think a drill press should be involved to keep everything steady and squared up. Look elsewhere for real advice.

Which chambering is your 99? Does it have the internal rotary magazine with the round counter on the side? I always thought those leverguns were the epitome of steampunk-ish transitional technology.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're not going to refinish the metal, don't touch the wood either please.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
old school loop around sling to avoid using a swivel. aka no drill sling, bayou sling harnessed sling.  No reason to drill holes just for a sling.
eta- also, unless the wood is oil soaked with oil that will continue to soften the wood, I wouldn't mess with it much. Just tung oil it or whatever. The wood that covers the action is really thin, stripping and getting it wet is a bigger gamble then on normal stocks.

Might be better off getting a second stock so you van drill and soak it all you want without cracking out the original trying to drill on it or by softening the wood.

99's are great rifles. Pinnacle of lever guns imho.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys.  Sorry, but I don't internet well enough to put pictures up.

It is one of the ones with the rotary mag and the brass round counter.  It's chambered in .300 Savage and it really isn't much to look at beyond being a 99.

I think I really like the suggestion for the sling and will be looking for those.

The wood is very dark and dirty looking.  Is there a way to just clean up the wood on the gun?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
To clean the wood, start with a simple, low risk approach - mineral spirits.  Soak a cotton cloth in mineral spirits and wipe it down.  The dust and dirt and sweat will come off leaving everything else intact.  It won't hurt the metal or its patina.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys.  Sorry, but I don't internet well enough to put pictures up.

It is one of the ones with the rotary mag and the brass round counter.  It's chambered in .300 Savage and it really isn't much to look at beyond being a 99.

I think I really like the suggestion for the sling and will be looking for those.

The wood is very dark and dirty looking.  Is there a way to just clean up the wood on the gun?
View Quote
I was going to call bullshit until you said what caliber it is :)
I've always wanted one in 308, you've pushed my buttons OP, I have a 308 AR Variant. I have the cash so I might as well start looking.

Thank you Sir
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've always wanted one in 308, you've pushed my buttons OP, I have a 308 AR Variant. I have the cash so I might as well start looking.

Thank you Sir
View Quote
hehe…  I also got a Winchester 88 that I so wish had been in .308, but alas is in 243.  Great gun great caliber, but I was trying so hard to consolidate calibers...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I use this, Howards feed and wax
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't use mineral spirits, it might strip away the original finish. Warm water, Murphy's oil soap, a toothbrush, and soft cotton cloth. Used this combination with great success on handgun grips. Just make sure the wood is completely dry before putting it back together with the metal.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
old school loop around sling to avoid using a swivel. aka no drill sling, bayou sling harnessed sling.  No reason to drill holes just for a sling.
eta- also, unless the wood is oil soaked with oil that will continue to soften the wood, I wouldn't mess with it much. Just tung oil it or whatever. The wood that covers the action is really thin, stripping and getting it wet is a bigger gamble then on normal stocks.

Might be better off getting a second stock so you van drill and soak it all you want without cracking out the original trying to drill on it or by softening the wood.

99's are great rifles. Pinnacle of lever guns imho.
View Quote
Sound advice. All of my 1899's are unmolested and are worth way more than Bubba'd ones that people can't give away. That thing has been around for nearly a century as is, if you must modify something, please just buy a newer rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
putting the wood in the dishwasher could wrap it I wouldnt do that
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Just to update and thank everyone for the replies and input.

I found some stock cleaner and used as directed, then put about six coats of pure tung oil on.  Kept the stock on the gun.  The wood didn't clean up as well as I would have liked.  Most of the older guns that I"ve refinished I've been amazed at the quality wood that lay beneath the scratches and grime and old finish.  This one, just not quite what I was hoping for.  I'm not wanting to do too much to it though because it is nearly a 100 year old rifle and i have a modern 45-70 stock that has glossed beautifully from me just carrying it in the field.  So I'm just going to leave the wood as is  for now.

Most importantly,I've taken her out shooting. With the buck horn sights at 25 yards I had the first three rounds touching just below the bullseye at 25 yards from a rest.  Shooting from a rest was bruising to the shoulder so I stood up to shoot steel at 100 yards and hit it consistently.  The recoil is stout and a little more than I expected from .300 Savage but way more manageable from standing than from a rest.  Really looking forward to getting this old rifle back into the field and trying to take a deer with Grandpa's favorite rifle.  

There's just something special about family guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a 1949 EG model in excellent condition that's chambered in 300 Savage with a first year, steel tube, Weaver V7 II scope.  Great old design only 5 years after the 1894 Winchester, decent trigger, and fun to shoot with performance in the 150 grn bullet class mid way between the 30-30 and the .308 at 2,660fps from it's 24" barrel.  The action is smooth, the blueing and stock are in excellent, original condition, the bore is bright and crisp, and it's clear it wasn't carried out in the field.  I picked it up for an excellent price from a friend of a friend after deer and elk season a number of years ago to round out my collection.  Pretty soft shooting rifle and very advanced when it was first released.  While mine is only 68 yrs old, it's a keeper that my son will get one day.

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank you Sir
View Quote
I have had a few.  What you really want on a 308 is pre million serial, that means it will have the lever safety and brass counter with rotary mag.    I had a 99 E that was a decent gun but I sold it a few years ago.  Last year I came across a 1957 99 F in 308 bought it.  Boy the F series are really nice and lightweight and the thing shoots really well, like bolt gun well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
With no pics, it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:42:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use this, Howards feed and wax
View Quote
Had some of this lying around and tried it.  Made all the difference, thanks for the suggestion, worked great!
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I would clean it leave the finish as is and shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top