Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2017 9:12:47 AM EDT
Ive pondered this idea for a few years now and have finally made the plunge. I am using lever actions for everything now from the range, truck gun, SHTF gun, hunting and so on. I think my fondness of ARs simply has worn off over many years of owning them and however many tens of thousands of rounds I fired out of them. I actually already like the lever guns much more than the ARs and I love the selection of rounds available for them. I feel a little crazy for going this route and a little odd for not owning an AR but I think its a good move!

My current two are a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and a Marlin 1895GBL in 45/70.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
you need to remove "gun" from your user name.

nothing wrong with a good lever, but I would want more options than a 30-30 / 45-70.

I'm not one for pistol caliber rifles either.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you need to remove "gun" from your user name.

nothing wrong with a good lever, but I would want more options than a 30-30 / 45-70.

I'm not one for pistol caliber rifles either.
View Quote
Haha Ive owned my fair share of things over the years, the name is sufficient for the past! I myself do enjoy pistol caliber rifles so will be adding a 357/38 lever gun at some point. I live in northern GA so really 30-30 and 45/70 are great rounds for around here.

Funny thing is, I have a KAC NT4 can sitting in my safe. I need to find a bolt gun to place that on now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Do what you want, but it would surprise me that after owning AR's for years that you wouldn't keep just one under the bed for "just in case"? I mean not to get into it but you know that shooter being the same the one with the AR over the lever wins, most of the time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do what you want, but it would surprise me that after owning AR's for years that you wouldn't keep just one under the bed for "just in case"? I mean not to get into it but you know that shooter being the same the one with the AR over the lever wins, most of the time.
View Quote
I understand where youre coming from and I will be building another one soon to just stick in the safe. Ive just lost all interest in the ARs and the AR world really. It sure wont hurt to keep one around which is why I have kept my 5.56 ammo and 5.56 can. I think just for my new "do all" rifles, itll be lever guns for a while at least until I find a major flaw with them. Theres just something about leaver guns that I cant get over.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I understand where youre coming from and I will be building another one soon to just stick in the safe. Ive just lost all interest in the ARs and the AR world really. It sure wont hurt to keep one around which is why I have kept my 5.56 ammo and 5.56 can. I think just for my new "do all" rifles, itll be lever guns for a while at least until I find a major flaw with them. Theres just something about leaver guns that I cant get over.
View Quote
I completely get you, my personal tastes in firearms have changed multiple times since becoming a gun owner, AR's can definitely get stagnant and levers totally have more soul. A .357 lever shooting .38's is come of the most fun you can have at a plinking range, and .45-70's loaded hot are nothing to joke about. I really want a Marlin 1894 SBL
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Variety is the spice of life.  I have 8 leverguns, 6 semi-auto traditional mil style (e.g. M1, etc.), and 3 ARs.  Currently, like you I enjoy shooting my leverguns better than the ARs.  In fact, I enjoy shooting my Mini-14 set up like my M1A better than my ARs as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ive pondered this idea for a few years now and have finally made the plunge. I am using lever actions for everything now from the range, truck gun, SHTF gun, hunting and so on. I think my fondness of ARs simply has worn off over many years of owning them and however many tens of thousands of rounds I fired out of them. I actually already like the lever guns much more than the ARs and I love the selection of rounds available for them. I feel a little crazy for going this route and a little odd for not owning an AR but I think its a good move!

View Quote

I understand completely. While I love my ARs  (and will be keeping them), I am sick of the "Tacticool" crowd and am going though a traditional revival myself. This comes after years of 3 gun competition and police training. Leverguns have so much Americana soul, and I love them. They are also very versatile and handle amazingly well. I could live happily ever after with good lever guns.

Interestingly, the same goes for boring plastic pistols. Give me a good 1911 or S&W revolver and I am a happy camper (literally).
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm with ya. I stopped being tacticool years ago, but I do still have an AR because I believe it's likely another ban will come eventually.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally speaking, I am so wrapped up in match rifles and AR-15s I cannot bring myself to buy another rifle even though I have a serious lust for a nice Winchester lever action in 357.

For you, I'd say you need a 22LR lever rifle.  They are super-fun!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Personally speaking, I am so wrapped up in match rifles and AR-15s I cannot bring myself to buy another rifle even though I have a serious lust for a nice Winchester lever action in 357.

For you, I'd say you need a 22LR lever rifle.  They are super-fun!
View Quote
But you know you NEED it! I am looking at some Marlin 39As and Henrys for a 22 lever action currently. I have a Marlin Model 60 but need a lever too!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I feel you.  I'm not going to get rid of any of my ARs, and they are my workhorse rifles......but I do want a lever gun for fun.  And a couple bolt actions.  And a 357 revolver.  And .........so on.

Variety is a good thing.  But I wouldn't get rid of my ARs to fund them, especially right now.  I'd lose my ass on them if I did, if nothing else.  But keeping them costs me nothing and they still tick off liberals.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My primary interests have always been revolvers and lever guns.  My favorites are the ones that I threaded for use with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Wood and steel has always been my preference in all firearms. It gives them character and natural beauty. All my pistols except for 1 are steel framed but I have lots of evil black rifles I lost interest in bolt guns years ago and will take a lever gun over a bolt gun 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But you know you NEED it! I am looking at some Marlin 39As and Henrys for a 22 lever action currently. I have a Marlin Model 60 but need a lever too!
View Quote
If you can find a good one, get the Marlin.  I'm sure the Henry is a fine firearm, too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in 2007, I purchased 1 DPMS Panther Bull Twenty Special. Not exactly tactical, but it shoots great. May one day get a tactical upper, but will never get rid of it.
Never felt the need to "build" different AR's, or modify the one I have. Just wanted one because I am an American, and I can.

I do however, currently own 8 Lever Guns. Three .22's, two 30-30's, a 38/357 Magnum, a .44spl/.44 Magnum, and a 45/740.

Also other Bolts and Semis. Shooting is fun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I never sell anything, and I have a lot of guns currently, I am the last of a long line of gun owners and own several AR platform guns..

A few years ago, I gave my Marlin 336 to my grandson for his first hunting rifle and regretted they day I handed it over to him, I started hunting with that gun over 50 years ago.

I like my AR's, love my Bolt Guns and a couple of weeks ago, I put a 2hp boat motor on Craigslist up for sale and a guy got a hold of me asking if I would be interested in a trade, so I told him, depends what ya got, He said, I have a Marlin and a Winchester, so I told sure, I bet we could work something out...

Ends up he wanted to trade a pre 64 Marlin or a Pre 64 Winchester, we met and now he owns the Motor, I own the Winchester, I have put a couple of hundred rounds down the tube of the 94 now and say, I am thrilled with my trade and I feel like I am back home again.

There will never be a day again in my life there won't be a lever in my gun stable, they just feel good, they shoot straight and feel right in my hands.

My current stable of guns is over 100 in number and the new old 94 is in its place fully loaded and ready to go deer hunting.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Variety is the spice of life.  I have 8 leverguns, 6 semi-auto traditional mil style (e.g. M1, etc.), and 3 ARs.  Currently, like you I enjoy shooting my leverguns better than the ARs.  In fact, I enjoy shooting my Mini-14 set up like my M1A better than my ARs as well.
View Quote
Geez, don't tempt me.  I'm afraid if I ever got one, this would end up being me too.  I just prefer a traditional stock SO much more than pistol grip.  Is yours newer and does it shoot decent?  My big problem is that my M1A is very accurate, but heavy (loaded).
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep, same here OP.

Just no excitement anymore with ARs or any military type guns.

Got 5 new ARs (1 that I bought back in 06), a New Mossberg 500, and couple plastic pistols to sell and then I'm back to levers, double barrels and revolvers.

It may be all the John Wayne DVDs I've been buying lately.

But I'm keeping my DDI AK. Is that wrong?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I can understand your getting tired of the AR platform as it's bulky receiver design and plastic fantastic feel gets a bit old after a while (BTW, I have 3 ARs), but there are other options besides the AR for the wonderful .223/5.56 caliber.  First, let me say that I own 8 leverguns; a Henry 22lr, 2ea Rossi M92 357mags, 2ea Ubertis, a '66 Yellowboy carbine and a '73 Special Sporting rifle both in 45 Colt, a Mossberg 464 30-30, a '49 Savage 99 in 300 Savage, and a '59 Winchester 88 in .308 so I feel I have the levergun spectrum covered very well. While I love my levers, especially my 357mags, I don't want to stop there enjoying long guns so I also have some M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, an M1A, and my suggestion to you, a new style 583 Series Ruger Mini-14.  It's chambered in the same .223/5.56 caliber as your ARs but it's got the feel more closely akin to a good lever carbine as it's small, compact, and a ton of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have owned dozens of lever guns over the years and still have a handful in the safe but there's no way I would ever be without a couple of ARs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Levers are great little guns. And I'm making a transition to more cowboy style guns. But you still need an AR or AK just in case.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have owned dozens of lever guns over the years and still have a handful in the safe but there's no way I would ever be without a couple of ARs.
View Quote
I like and have all sorts of firearms; to me here is no need to choose one over the other.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just one more step and you'll be there.  All you need is a 38, a 22, and  a wheelbarrow. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top