Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2013 2:04:06 PM EDT
I recently picked up a Rossi 357, 20” barrel.  Quick assessment on the rifle: it is an older model, very good fit and finish. Fed and ejected 38 Special and 357 Magnum very reliably so far. Accurate for what it is seems very good for me - I was easily getting 2 ½ groups at 50 yards with the factory iron sights and 38 Special loads, using a simple rest. Very stiff action though.

My question:  I have a Winchester 94 in 357 also, which was factory tapped for sights across the top of the action. I installed an XS Sights ghost ring, and this gives a very good sight picture. I wonder if I could install the same sights on the Rossi. These sights are very low profile and light. I like the fit better than a side mount aperture sight.

The Rossi is not tapped for any sights in this area, and the action is very slightly thinner. Below I showed how the ghost ring would sit on the 92 action. In my view there is enough material in the action to tap the 2 small holes for the sight, but I am interested in anyone else’s thoughts.

Putting the sight behind the bolt would be ideal for the sight picture, but it would be a tight fit, and there is less material in the action behind the bolt, so I am concerned this would not be a good place to start putting more holes in the action.

I'm leaning towards installing the sight forward of the bolt.

Has anyone installed sights in this manner on a 92? Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Winchester 94 on top, Rossi 92 on bottom

Peep sight behind the bolt.

Peep sight in front of the bolt.

Rossi on the right, with peep sight in front of the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Skinner Sites. http://www.skinnersights.com/ They have a peep that mounts in the rear bbl. slot. You could also talk with them about some other option
in a rear mount. They make fantastic products and have great CC.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a Williams 5d person.
$35ish at Brownells.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm still a big fan of the Marbles Standard tang sight on the Model 92, both Armi Sport and Rossi clones. The Rossi tang is a little longer than the Armi Sport or Winchester Model 92s, but you can mount the sight a little farther forward on the Rossi and eliminate most of the difference:

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the comments and ideas so far. With the new information I have from you guys, I'm now partial to the tang sights. Looks like a great setup, the sight radius is tremendous in that configuration.

For those that have a Winchester 94, the ghost ring aperture is great, but there is just not enough material behind the bolt to set up the 92 the same way, being cautious about drilling the action.

A great post where a member set up his 92:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_47/369225__ARCHIVED_THREAD____New_sights_for_my_Rossi__92.html&page=1#i3419436
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top