BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is all very true, but guys who don't need that type of protection aren't getting bids for it.  Although what you say makes a lot of sense for the average guy with average stuff, I suspect that is not who the OP is.

It's like a professional NASCAR driver asking for seat recommendations and all of the riced out Honda Civic owners post what they use from Amazon.   The "why won't 8 inches of concrete suffice" is answered by the OP's very topic.  8 inches in typical house foundation form is not comparable in any way to a Class 3 UL rated vault construction.  We have worked on vaults and panic rooms in residential construction where our portion of the work was well into the mid six figures.  The owners weren't doing that work to thwart smash and grab burglars or protect a thousand dollars worth of jewelry.  These types have their reasons (which I wouldn't expect them to fully divulge on a public message board), and suggesting they don't need these levels of security without having any knowledge of what their intended use may be is doing them a great disservice.  You'll notice several comments along the lines of "seems overbuilt", but not a single comment from the OP stating exactly what he's using it for.  So there's no way to know if it's overbuilt.  It may be underbuilt for his use.

That said, those giving the bids should have been offering proper guidance.  If the OP asked for a bid on a Class 3 unit from a professional security company, that company should have had a conversation with him regarding the use.  Should his request have been entirely overkill that company should have offered proper guidance to a suitable solution.  Should the customer insist on the overkill that is fine.  But should a half price alternative that would suit the needs be available, the customer should be made aware.

The OP states he is providing a door, but hasn't stated what that is.  Were I the contractor contacted, that would have been my first question as the design of the vault should be commensurate with that of the door.
View Quote
If I understand correctly, the OP didn't specifically request a "UL Class 3 Vault" from the contractor, he requested a "vault". So to make the assumption that he specifically requested that vault is just as improper as the other assuming he doesn't need it.

While what you say is true, you also have to consider that the folks with 6 & 7 figure collections they're trying to protect aren't asking about vault advice on a gun forum either... So assumptions about what he's wanting to protect are fairly reasonable.

Also, the fact that he thought the Class 3 vault on the initial quote was over-done and high-priced leads me to believe he was expecting more of a "homeowner's vault" not a UL listed vault.

I think the assumptions we've made in this thread are very reasonable assumptions until we're given information to the contrary of those assumptions.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]
you also have to consider that the folks with 6 & 7 figure collections they're trying to protect aren't asking about vault advice on a gun forum either  
View Quote
Sure they do.  You'd be surprised who hangs out in these forums.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
you also have to consider that the folks with 6 & 7 figure collections they're trying to protect aren't asking about vault advice on a gun forum either  

Exactly.  Where else would they ask?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just curious why y'all went with poured concrete instead of the pre-fab units with higher psi, and lower install time?  Don't see why those couldn't be custom made with the rebar and a way to lock them together.  I'm not a foreman, so be gentle.
View Quote
Still curious...
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wouldn't be surprised who hangs out in the forums. I would be surprised that somebody trying to protect a 7-figure gun collection would ask in a forum, where he's sure to get amateur answers, instead of calling an expert. It would be like buying a $1M car and putting no-name, white-box brakes from ebay on it. People with money aren't usually that stupid. I will caveat that some people that have gained their money through lottery winnings do some pretty stupid stuff with it so that generalization doesn't apply to them...

None-the-less, that doesn't nullify the fact that the OP likely doesn't have that collection.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top