Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2017 4:03:25 PM EDT
I know, I know.. it's just an RSC.

But what brands are the best for real budgets (<$1500)?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
For that budget, Liberty all the way. I love my Fatboy Jr.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a 24 gun at tsc for 299 on Black Friday

It's a solid safe
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Amsec products -- even their lower end safes like the FV series has a little more steel in the door (3/16" plate) than most other offerings.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
At that price point any, safe that comes with a Sargent and Greenleaf lock "S&G".
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know, I know.. it's just an RSC.
But what brands are the best for real budgets (<$1500)?
View Quote
What do you want it to do?

What threats are you wanting to protect from?

For how long?

Do you have other lines of defense (i.e. reinforced locks and hinges, alarm system, large dog, more readily pawned valuables in the path of the thief, insurance, etc.) or will the safe be the only thing protecting its contents?

At my retirement property, I only want to keep kids who might be in the house from time to time away from the guns.  The guns themselves are all common types that could be replaced with a trip to Academy or Bass Pro.  The guns are insured (added to my homeowner's policy it costs $12 a year).  The closet it is in has a locking door.   To reach the closet where the safe is located a thief has to walk past more valuable, less traceable items than guns.  So, I considered a $99 Stack-On safe more than adequate to protect my guns from even the most mischievous family members.

On the other hand, at my home in the suburbs, I have two guns that are virtually irreplaceable.  The guns are insured.  The house has an alarm.  The windows are barred.  The doors have pins that extend into the jamb when closed.  The safe was one step down from Sears Best in 1988.  To get to it, a thief has to walk past two Thinkpad laptops.  So far this has worked well.  When the laptops get stolen, I just check the local pawn shops and buy them back for a few bucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top