Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2017 9:22:53 AM EDT
So I've been a big fan of Reolink for about 3 years now, put my moms camera system in at her house, and I put mine in a while ago. I've mentioned and suggested it here before, and see a lot of people get great results, strangely I can't recall much of any problems reported, at least not here.

Anyway, Reolink just recently started releasing their 5mp cameras. They currently have the a 5mp dome, as well as a pair of WIFI capable 5mp cameras, one being a dome, the other being a PTZ (this is preorder right now).

I entered a contest a while ago and won a free 5mp bullet cam (not currently available), it's in the mail, from China, as of the 25th of Oct. I'll include some video/screen grabs as compared to my current 4MP when I get it all set up. Reolink did state the 5mp bullets were coming down the line, currently they're just in prototype, I only use the bullets as I find they seem to blend better into my house, but anyone who uses domes can upgrade/add the 5mp now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice to hear - let us know.

Lots of ivory tower guys like to shit on Reolink and praise Hikvision/Dahua but I will say for the price Reolink is great and even as a power user myself I consider them awesome cameras and IMO the OEM is the same as the big names anyway.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice to hear - let us know.

Lots of ivory tower guys like to shit on Reolink and praise Hikvision/Dahua but I will say for the price Reolink is great and even as a power user myself I consider them awesome cameras and IMO the OEM is the same as the big names anyway.
View Quote
Originally looking into Cameras for my house, I wanted to go with Hikvision/Dahua, I planned to buy them two at a time. When my mom showed interested in wanting to get a camera system, she didn't want to spend over $150 per camera, so I did a lot of research and I saw some good reviews (although few at the time) for Reolink, considering at that time we could get 4 cameras, and the NVR for under $400, she went with it. In the 2-3 years she's had the system, she had 2 problems, both of which were resolved by rebooting the NVR. Because of her success and ease of use/installation, I installed them at my place, and have recommended them ever since. Even if they only lasted a couple years, by the time they die something better, and likely cheaper, will be out.

It's really neat to see the company grow and create new products. When I ordered for my mom, they only had the dome and bullet cameras, and the 4 camera/NVR combo, and the 2 Camera/NVR wifi combo. I really like the new Argus for hard to wire places, and plan to use the C1 for a baby monitor in the nursery.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
love my 10 camera/16ch system.  I'm jealous you were one of the winners. I entered and was hoping, but no such luck. I also have a C1 and the Argus. For the baby room the argus is better. We ended up putting the c1 in the living room. The argus is better as a baby cam because there is no obstructed view. We had our C1 on a shelf so the kiddo could not get to it. Because the camera is set back, you could not see 'down'. we had to tilt the camera over to see ground level and into the crib. the argus ended up working out way better as a nursery cam.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Let’s see those comparison pics!!! I also entered the contest. Was really looking forward to doing a comparison. Glad you won so I still get to see! 
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
love my 10 camera/16ch system.  I'm jealous you were one of the winners. I entered and was hoping, but no such luck. I also have a C1 and the Argus. For the baby room the argus is better. We ended up putting the c1 in the living room. The argus is better as a baby cam because there is no obstructed view. We had our C1 on a shelf so the kiddo could not get to it. Because the camera is set back, you could not see 'down'. we had to tilt the camera over to see ground level and into the crib. the argus ended up working out way better as a nursery cam.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I was planning on mounting the C1 upside down in the corner of the room, Reolink came out with a giraffe Argus skin that my wife loves, but I liked the idea of the C1s pan/tilt more, maybe I'll just get both. Thanks for the input.

Quoted:
Let’s see those comparison pics!!! I also entered the contest. Was really looking forward to doing a comparison. Glad you won so I still get to see! 
I'll put pictures and video when I get the camera, it's currently enroute from China, left the sorting facility on the 27th of Oct, so I'm guessing mid-Nov I'll have it.

I currently have 6 cameras up, still need to put up number 7, and then with the 5mp one, I'll have 2 extras left over. I am thinking I'll put the 5mp one on my 'overwatch' camera, which gives me a clear picture of the street, cars, and front yard, I think the extra clarity will help there most. I'm sure I'll play around with different cameras though, I'm very interested to see if there is any discernible difference between the 4mp and 5mp.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Tagged.  I'll be purchasing a Reolink system soon.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Update just to push this to the top, tracking finally updated and the 5mp camera got into NY yesterday, so I'm guessing maybe another week until it's at my door. Will update with material soon.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you get the C1 yet? I've actually used mine to watch tv from overseas lol. I just zoom in and watch shows I can't get at work.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I got the Camera, its an RLC-422, which is the 5mp Dome camera, unfortunately all the cameras I have up are bullets, so it's not quite as easy to change out as I was hoping, I'll have to make a new support plate big enough and then mount it to the eve, because the domes are heavy!

I'll include some pictures of the camera later this evening, hopefully I can get it up in place over the weekend, although I really wasn't expecting the much much larger base of the Dome, so it'll take a little bit of thinking to figure out best placement, as my original idea for placement will be less effective with a dome over the bullet I have up now.

Quoted:
Did you get the C1 yet? I've actually used mine to watch tv from overseas lol. I just zoom in and watch shows I can't get at work.
View Quote
I do not have the C1 yet, we put it on our registry, but I'll definitely pick it up and include a review here when I get it!.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I had been under the assumption I was receiving a 5mp bullet cam, and direct upgrade to my current RLC-410 cameras I have. My plan was to simply unscrew the old, unplug, and plug in the new. When I opened the box, it was a dome RLC-422, not only was it a different camera than I had thought I was receiving, but on the side of the box it very clearly said it was a 4mp camera.

Not one to complain with a gift horse, I emailed Reolink support and asked to verify this was indeed a 5mp camera, as I wanted to give an honest review, they verified it was. More on this later.

So now I have the task of hanging a camera that is not only much bigger, but has a footprint in the realm of 3 times the size of my 410's. Due to the set-up of the wiring, I had to drill a new 3/4" hole in my soffit, as the hole for my 410 one wouldn't allow the 422 to fit, obviously I had to drill new holes for the mounting screws as well (4, as compared to 3 on the 410).

So I spent about 60-90 minutes hanging the camera. I will say, it's a nice looking camera, very discreet, and looks good where I put it. The color during the day is much more 'vivid' then my 410 models, it's especially noticeable on the grass. This particular model also has a 4 time optical zoom option, but once the camera is mounted, you cannot actually pan/tilt the lens, so if you want to use the zoom option, you have to adjust the camera so the area you want to zoom, is directly in the middle of the screen. Where I have this camera placed, using the zoom option is pretty useless, but it's an option you could use nonetheless. I do feel as though the angle of view is slightly wider on the 422 over the 410, and I do like this for where I have my camera.

The only problem I ran in to (so far) was a foggy dome. I hung the camera in the afternoon, around 2pm EST. It was good until the evening, when I noticed it has developed a rather serious case of fog when viewed. I read up on this and saw it's possibly the foam ring around the lens was dislodged, or maybe I was getting an IR halo effect from something near it. So I took my ladder back out climbed up, and sure enough there was a patch of fog directly over the lens, as well as above the lens. I pulled the dome off and cleaned it very well with a microfiber cloth, both inside and out, and was extremely careful re-installing the dome. Since I did that, I have not had any fog problems.

So, is it true 5mp? Honestly, I cannot tell, I don't feel as though the image is any sharper then my 410s, and you do not have the option to view the feed above 4k, that makes me question if these cameras are indeed 5mp, or if Reolink possibly over-extending themselves on the 5mp prototype, and sent out 4mp cameras to appease people.

So overall, I'm happy with the camera, but I'm slightly reserved about whether it's a true 5mp camera. The fogging issue was resolved easily, and may very well have been user install error. Also, if you plan to replace your 410 bullet cams with the 422 domes, plan accordingly, as you'll need to drill all new holes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for writing up.

I'll stick with my current Reolink cams for now. If I upgrade in the future i think the Dahua Starlight line will be my choice.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#12]
So I ended up winning a free Reolink Argus with camo skin off their Facebook giveaway. Now I have 2. I will have to think about where I want to put this one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#13]
For those of you who hired someone to install, how do you go about finding a reputable person to do that? I'm in the STL area FYI
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For those of you who hired someone to install, how do you go about finding a reputable person to do that? I'm in the STL area FYI
View Quote
It really isn't a super difficult job to do yourself. It helps a lot if you have a full attic, but you don't need it. My mom had a full walk up attic that made her install a breeze, my attic isn't much more than a crawl space. I initially attempted to do my attic like hers, but it was impossible to get down to the soffits in my house. I went to HF and bought one of the fiberglass wire running kits, made the install a MILLION times easier, even at my moms house it probably would've cut the install time in half.

If you're really not keen on doing it yourself, I would probably call a local security company and ask if they'd install just the camera system for you, although it's possible they might not unless it's their system. You could try electricians, but I'm guessing it would be significantly more money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top