Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2017 7:35:36 AM EDT
Shopping for a new safe and would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the pros and cons of electronic keypad vs manual combination. I like the thought of the ease of the keypad, but it seems like if something is gonna go wrong, it will probably be with the electronic one. Thoughts?
Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Keypad
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Keypad.  I can open mine in the dark...
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
AMSEC Keypad ESL 10
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Keypad, just make sure to change the batteries. I'm in mine everyday, no issues thus far.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
So far I am in the minority, but I would go with a mechanical dial.  I just don't trust the keypads.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Manual dial. Being gentle with them they will last until the end of time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Currently own both

The key pad is in my home office and gets opened near daily for something or another

The dial safe is one of the nicest Browning safes they sold about 15yrs ago. Its a fucking tank with an obvious quality SG dial.

As another member stated ... just use it like the precision machine it is and do not be a 'spinner' - slow precise turns are your friend

On the key pad - be sure to keep fresh batteries in it and never get frustrated if it does not open on the 1st try or 2. Always best to wait a min or 2 and try again. Don't be a MASHER ( just like the don't be a spinner ) There is no need to push so fucking hard on the key pad. Its a momentary micro switch / pressure switch. treat it as such. My keypad opens 99.9% of the time 1st try - rare occasion it does not ( usually my fault / rush )

The dial opens 99% as error factor of slight movement / guess dial position comes into play

bought both used at 1/2 value ( each like new condition )

When someone is selling a safe - they want it GONE. have cash and a way to move it that day and you will score a great deal :)

hope this helps
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Dial! I used to sell safes at Cabelas and the local locksmiths came through often. Everyone I asked said they drill ten times more keypad safes than dials when the combo is known. Also understand that anything sold at Cabelas is substantially less hardy than any Sturdy safe.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far I am in the minority, but I would go with a mechanical dial.  I just don't trust the keypads.
View Quote
I used to be in this camp but the keypad is so much more convenient and, as mentioned, opened in the dark.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had both. Keypad is convenient until a fire which I had in July. Plastic melts. I’m going to get another dial with key backup to replace it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Mechanical dial is EMP proof.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Mechanical dial and mechanical push-button "Simplex" lock for something quick access for your primary HD weapon.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Mines came with a keypad and the first thing I did was order a mechanical dial and swapped it out.  Electronics can fail.  Yes the dial is slower but not by much.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the replies!
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#15]
another vote for keypad.

I'll love it until it let's me down.

About 10 years so far with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Dial.  You can stage it 2 numbers in if you're worried about getting quick access.  I open mine daily...no issues.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Dial.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#18]
mechanical dial for my safes, push buttons for my handgun box that I keep my go-to home defense G19 in.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 4:38:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been using a keypad for many years now.  Great to open your safe fast.. but as it gets older, I get worried that something might happen to the electronics.

Electronics only last as long as they last and once broken.. it will suck to get it open since I would have to hire a locksmith.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish more manufacturers would offer dual locks were you only need to open one.  That way you could use the electronic, but the manual will still work to open if it fails.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#21]
This

Took a locksmithing class about 10 years ago and one stat they tossed out was (at least then) 75% of the "safes" sold were a mechinal dial lock but 75% of the "can't get into my safe" call outs were for digital locks going bad.

Take it for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Electronics today are a lot more reliable than they used to be.  I think if you're going to open the safe a lot, then go with electronic just because it's faster.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This

Took a locksmithing class about 10 years ago and one stat they tossed out was (at least then) 75% of the "safes" sold were a mechinal dial lock but 7j5% of the "can't get into my safe" call outs were for digital locks going bad.

Take it for what it is worth.
View Quote
Thanks for the input. I decided on a mechanical lock a week or so ago due to friends issues with electronic. Your experience has reinforced my decision.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish more manufacturers would offer dual locks were you only need to open one. That way you could use the electronic, but the manual will still work to open if it fails.
View Quote
So what do you do when the failure is caused by the additional components that allow dual control and neither lock will open the safe?  

The more parts and pieces you add, the more likely you are to experience a failure.  This is one of the reasons that in the long term mechanical locks still outperform their electronic counterparts.  Gun safes are not difficult or expensive (relative, I know) to open in the event of a failure.  The reason you see these types of systems on bank vaults is because an opening will run into the 5 figures.  You're in the low 3 figures for a gun safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top