Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2017 2:27:34 PM EDT
I am getting ready to put in a safe in my garage and wondered what to put under the safe. My house is split level with a heat/ac’d with a dehumidifier. The garage is not finished with a concrete floor.

Should I put something under the safe to allow for air flow? I’m going to be bolting it to the the concrete floor.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd seal the floor and put down a rubber mat before bolting the safe down.
That's just me.

You absolutely need to use a Goldenrod or something similar as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Any particular rubber mat?
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Not really, something thick enough to insulate the bottom of the safe a bit to avoid condensation.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Same situation. I went to the office supply and got a chair mat. I just got the semi clear hard plastic.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same situation. I went to the office supply and got a chair mat. I just got the semi clear hard plastic.
View Quote
I wouldn't use anything that would trap moisture between the safe and mat.  Just take 4 small aluminum squares about 3/8 thick and place them on the 4 edges under the safe.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Had mine in the garage for the last 7 years.  Straight on the concrete.  The big goldenrod inside.  We just moved this summer and when I moved the safe, the bottom still looked new.

I live in Corpus, so really hot and humid air. Never had any rust what so ever form on a gun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few large zinc coated washers under mine to allow airflow
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#8]
My garage safe sits on a couple 4x4 wolmamized wood blocks. Golden Rod inside the safe.

No problems.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't use anything that would trap moisture between the safe and mat.  Just take 4 small aluminum squares about 3/8 thick and place them on the 4 edges under the safe.
View Quote
This, let it breathe.  Most safe installers have the proper spacers (aluminum or wooden) to raise the safe a little off the floor..  Mine is raised up just a marginal amount, not enough to get a tool under there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Hockey pucks work great,mark four bolt locations and hammer drill in anchors,I prefer 1/2" quick bolts in stainless steel go for around a 3" in bed( 6" bolt)into the floor no deeper or you will poke through. Pound in anchors,drill  pucks to fit over bolts and set safe on top a couple big washers and tighten. That will keep most of the riffraff from screwing with it.

Pete
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Another +1 for hockey pucks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to a roofing supply company. Get an equipment mat, these are used to protect membrane roofing from damage from rooftop units. This will support load and allow air movement preventing condensation inside safe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hockey pucks work great,mark four bolt locations and hammer drill in anchors,I prefer 1/2" quick bolts in stainless steel go for around a 3" in bed( 6" bolt)into the floor no deeper or you will poke through. Pound in anchors,drill  pucks to fit over bolts and set safe on top a couple big washers and tighten. That will keep most of the riffraff from screwing with it.

Pete
View Quote
I may not know enough about the dimensions of a hockey puck, but will that put the safe too high off the ground?  Wouldn’t want someone to be able to get under there and cut through those bolts.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Raise it too high and someone may drive up there with a forklift. An acquaintance had someone break in, wrap a chain, and pulled the safe out the window. Drug it down the highway until they came to a secluded spot and broke it open.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Careful using the hockey pucks. It raises the safe too high for my comfort. I? could slip a sawzaw blade under the corner and cut through the bolts in short order on all four points and cut it free. You don’t want a tool to fit under it to permit any kind of leverage or a damn fork lift blade from slipping Under it. Or a transfer plate they can leverage with a car jack. Give them less than a quarter inch. Preferably less. A small air gap will be sufficient for the moisture to vent.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Careful using the hockey pucks. It raises the safe too high for my comfort. I? could slip a sawzaw blade under the corner and cut through the bolts in short order on all four points and cut it free. You don’t want a tool to fit under it to permit any kind of leverage or a damn fork lift blade from slipping Under it. Or a transfer plate they can leverage with a car jack. Give them less than a quarter inch. Preferably less. A small air gap will be sufficient for the moisture to vent.
View Quote
If you are worried about somebody cutting the bolts move them in 8" from the edges to the bolts or put one in the middle they can't get too.at a certain point if a thief wants it they will get it.i use sawzalls daily and can tell you my cordless sawzall will cut 4-carbon steel 1/2" bolts in less than 4 minutes.the stainless will double that if you have a couple blades,any gap over the width of the blade and it cuts friction free.you can bend a long blade and cut even with the floor even if it is only 1/8 up.
Besides a 30.00 tow strap and a pickup and likely your safe is gone.

Mine sits on pucks with 5/8 stainless steel quick bolts,I sleep and vacation just fine knowing they are only one level of the security plan.maybe if you are worried another level of security is necessary.

Pete
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]
You don’t need anything under there unless your garage floor is getting wet all the time.

ETA:  have two safes in my garage for 12+ years with zero issues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a Fort Knox employee who’s worked there since he was a kid deliver mine. He bolted it to my garage floor but put a hockey puck on each corner. Works great.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#19]
My safe is in a similar spot. I used Trafficmaster brad gym/exercise equipment mat. Available at Home Depot.

Works great.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]
UHMW pieces cut from a cutting board will work too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top