Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2017 3:44:41 PM EDT
I'm building a new house and am trying to map out my network cables.

Im setting up a rack mount system that will have the switches, router, as well as store the NVR from the Reolink system.

The rack will be in a closet, but I want to see the cameras from my office.

Im planning on running an HDMI cable through the wall so I can see the cameras, but I am struggling trying to figure out how to use a mouse/keyboard with the Reolink NVR in a completely different room.

The office is about 40ft away from the NVR so wireless doesn't seem like an option. I also don't think USB will work if I run a hard cable.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar issue. My NVR is in a bedroom closet above the living room, my modem and router are located in the living room as well. I ended up running the HDMI and Ethernet cable down through the wall. I spent a lot of time looking up long range USB mice. Turns out the one I had on hand was strong enough to use between floors.

In your case, I would look for just a wireless mouse, I know some can reach up to 100'. What do you need/want a keyboard for? I've never used a keyboard with my Reolink.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a similar issue. My NVR is in a bedroom closet above the living room, my modem and router are located in the living room as well. I ended up running the HDMI and Ethernet cable down through the wall. I spent a lot of time looking up long range USB mice. Turns out the one I had on hand was strong enough to use between floors.

In your case, I would look for just a wireless mouse, I know some can reach up to 100'. What do you need/want a keyboard for? I've never used a keyboard with my Reolink.
View Quote
I figured a keyboard would be needed. That's good to know. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't need to go through floors, just 2 walls about 40' total. I'll look into some 100' mice and call it a day. I was looking into USB over cat6 and all kinds of other stuff, I think I'm just over thinking it. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor routed from a different room to my bedroom walk in closet.  The keyboard is required to "unlock" the computer to use / view.

If I recall correctly I used 35' cables.  Everything works fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor routed from a different room to my bedroom walk in closet.  The keyboard is required to "unlock" the computer to use / view.

View Quote
Did you use USB cables? If so, how'd you get them that long? Powered relay?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have read that people had issues with mouses that didn't come with the Reolink kit. I've had mine for a month and never needed a keyboard for the NVR. I do have the software installed on my desktop so I can do any changes there if I need to. I also want to run an HDMI cable and mouse 15' straight up to my living room TV. I thought about just using a USB extended cable from Amazon. Let me know what you end up doing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have read that people had issues with mouses that didn't come with the Reolink kit. I've had mine for a month and never needed a keyboard for the NVR. I do have the software installed on my desktop so I can do any changes there if I need to. I also want to run an HDMI cable and mouse 15' straight up to my living room TV. I thought about just using a USB extended cable from Amazon. Let me know what you end up doing.
View Quote
The house is about 4 months from being finished, so it will be a while.

Do you mind explaining what you mean by the software being installed on you computer and controlling it from there?

Can you install some software on a completely separate computer and use that software to control the system? If so, that would make things so much easier!

Im probably just going to run two HDMI cables in the wall, one to my office and one to my master bedroom TV so we can see the cameras when I'm working or from out bedroom. I'll need to run a HDMI splitter but those are common and shouldnt be a problem. I was going to try to get away with a wireless mouse when I'm in the office, but I doubt it will reach the master bedroom. If it works in the office I'm good with it.

Now if the mouse has issues with the system itself that's a new can of worms. I could always do USB over cat6, where each end of the cat6 cable plugs into a usb/cat6 adapter, but I'm yet to find a good review for one of those. I'll probably just try a bunch of stuff until something works...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

*snip*

Can you install some software on a completely separate computer and use that software to control the system? If so, that would make things so much easier *snip*.
View Quote
Yes, Reolink has their own software, I run it on my MacBook, my mom runs hers on a windows laptop.

It's significantly easier to do all your adjustments on the computer than the actual NVR interface. I originally did my moms set up on the interface, it probably took me a good 2 hours to get completely finished.

When I installed my cameras, and the client on my computer, I had it all set up in 20 minutes, plus you can set it up from anywhere.

You can also do a fair amount of work on the phone app, although it is a good bit harder.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, Reolink has their own software, I run it on my MacBook, my mom runs hers on a windows laptop.

It's significantly easier to do all your adjustments on the computer than the actual NVR interface. I originally did my moms set up on the interface, it probably took me a good 2 hours to get completely finished.

When I installed my cameras, and the client on my computer, I had it all set up in 20 minutes, plus you can set it up from anywhere.

You can also do a fair amount of work on the phone app, although it is a good bit harder.
View Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I had no idea they had a computer program to setup everything.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I had no idea they had a computer program to setup everything.
View Quote
Yup, I just set the password on the NVR and did everything using the client software on my computer. DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. I attempted to and it literally bricked my NVR. Had it replaced which sucked because their tech support is in China and so all replies come during the overnight hours. The tech said if you don't need the options that the new firmware gives you, then leave it be.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hate the phone app. I hate how hard it is to use the slider when you are trying to playback the video. I do like the record option, easy way to send video and still shots.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#11]
You need to run another cat5e or 6 and buy a usb to ethernet adaper. They are under $10 on amazon. It converts the cat 6 to a usb male and usb female.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I extended a mouse cable about 75 feet using cat 6 cable and USB extenders. Works great, no problems.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I extended a mouse cable about 75 feet using cat 6 cable and USB extenders. Works great, no problems.
View Quote
Do you happen to remember which USB extender you used? I'm having trouble finding any with halfway decent reviews... Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you happen to remember which USB extender you used? I'm having trouble finding any with halfway decent reviews... Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, I bought this one from Amazon.

Amazon Product
  • USB specifications limit the maximum run for USB to only 15ft
  • This can make placement of USB devices difficult especially in a wide area
  • This can be especially convenient if you already have unused Ethernet cabling pre-installed in your walls

Figured it wasn't expensive and I could just return it if it didn't work. I didn't have to though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup, I bought this one from Amazon.

www.amazon.com/dp/B003L14ZTCFigured it wasn't expensive and I could just return it if it didn't work. I didn't have to though.
View Quote
Awesome. Those were the ones I was tempted to try. One of the reviews said it was USB1.1 that worried me a little bit, but it's just a mouse so it should be fine. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give them a shot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USB and high quality HDMI cable worked fine.  I bought the stuff at Microcenter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top