Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2017 12:12:32 PM EDT
Thought this might help someone.  

After purchasing a couple of the Hornady Rapid Safes for my wife's bedside gun as well as mine we decide that we wanted them as least accessible as possible.  We also got the Hornady AR Locker.  So, the keys are put away, and my wife wears the all silicone band with the "H" on it.  Her band opens all safes and she never takes it off.  

Now, for me.  I didn't want a stupid key chain or a sticker on my cellphone.  The reason being that sometimes those items aren't always at hand in an emergency, 0400 hrs, etc.  I also have a small child who is just now getting mobile and into everything.  

I wanted something like my wife's Hornady wrist band, but not add an additional item to my wrists., so I chopped up the included wrist band for the RFID chip.  The band included has HORNADY on a metal band and is adjustable like a watch band.  The RFID chip is on the underside where it is slightly thicker and has the "H" logo.  The RFID chip in this band is an epoxied puck.  I don't know about the thinner wrist bands.  Anyhoo, I took this puck and silicone glued it to my watch band on the underside.  I can now unlock any of my RFID safes with my watch band.  The distance is short, but my watch is always on my wrist.  Not super technical, but I figured it might be of use to someone.

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Clever bro...
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!  Forgot to add that I tried to open a sticker the same way.   I cut the antenna inside on both and bricked them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a great idea!

How do you like the AR model? I've been really thinking about one for our bedroom.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Good hack.  Great idea that the manufacturer should copy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a great idea!

How do you like the AR model? I've been really thinking about one for our bedroom.
View Quote
I love it.  Runs on a wall wart or 4 internal AA batteries if power goes out. Mine is vertical with a slight lean toward a book case, on purpose.  It holds 2 SBR ARs pretty well. I took the foam dividers and pushed them all the way down and sat the rifles on them muzzle down.  This leaves a small space between the dividers and the door for a few boxes of home defense ammo.  Also, get motion lights so it's easier to see. It's nice I can open my safe, my wife's pistol safe and the AR safe with one RFID tag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top