Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 1:40:25 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting one for our vault room  (new construction). We aren't in tornado alley, but my wife's hometown got leveled a few years back and they weren't either.

Our vault room will double as storm room and I don't like the thought of worst case scenario tornado hit and bring house down into basement blocking our way out or the rubble on fire and turning the room into a brick oven with us inside. A second way out would sure be nice, but it's also a second way in, so there's that to consider.

Only places I've seen them is Rhino Vault and Vault Pro. Not seen many reviews on either.

Anyone have a hatch? 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Smith Security offers them too.

ETA Link:

https://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/vault-doors/escape-hatch
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I would rather take my chances above ground than get trapped in a fucking tomb "gun vault" room. So, yes, if I ever built one it would need more than one exit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest getting an inward swinging door rather than an escape hatch. I always assume worst case scenario is that everything upstairs will end up in the basement, so an inward swinging door would still allow you to make your presence known if you couldnt physically climb through the debris.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smith Security offers them too.

ETA Link:

https://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/vault-doors/escape-hatch
View Quote
I purchased my door through them. Im happy with it for the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top