Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2017 4:50:14 PM EDT
Is it a bad idea to have a secondary safe dedicated to nothing but ammo?
It sounds like a good idea, in my feeble mind, to have the ammo contained in a cheapo safe that has some fireboard.

Good, bad, brilliant? (probably not the later)
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've already got three safes full of guns, no room for a fourth and fifth safe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not a bad idea. I have my ammo in a stack on safe, but I'm starting to outgrow it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not a bad idea. I have my ammo in a stack on safe, but I'm starting to outgrow it.
View Quote
I do the same. If it doesn't go in what I refer to as the "ammo locker", it goes into ammo cans that are cabled together and locked. My risk of theft is low, but peace of mind is cheap in this case.

I put shelves in my locker that actually hold quite a bit of ammo
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What happens in a fire?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What happens in a fire?
View Quote
It all burns off anyways.

I use a Homak gun cabinet.  No fireproofing.  Won't keep out even slightly talented criminals, but might deter a smash and grab.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If it matters this is the one I could get slightly used.
18 gun

After doing some additional research it seems the safe being sealed is the problem in a fire, creates a big bomb.
What if I tore the heat expanding seals out so the safe could "breathe"?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Not in my opinion. Why spend money on a safe for ammo when you can spend it on ammo? If there is a fire, I don't mind the ammo burning as I can easily replace it. Same thing if someone steals it, but I can't remember the last time someone stole a bunch of ammo in our neck of the woods. Just seems like an unnecessary expense. If you happen to have room in your gun safe and want to put ammo in, cool, but not a separate safe for ammo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a simple Rigid 48"X24" tool storage box from Home Depot for around $250. It holds a lot, bolts down, and locks. I use it to store the majority of my gun gear in. 

Like this
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought a simple Rigid 48"X24" tool storage box from Home Depot for around $250. It holds a lot, bolts down, and locks. I use it to store the majority of my gun gear in. 

Like this
View Quote
I would like one but my limited space won't allow it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Like this
View Quote
This is exactly what I did. It was reasonably inexpensive (compared to a RSC) and holds a fair amount of gun gear (though mine is near full). I'm really happy with this solution.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
When I eventually upgrade to a larger safe, I intend to turn my current safe into a dedicated ammo safe. I wouldn't buy one just for ammo though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Like this
View Quote

Also great for storing all your burglary tools i.e. crowbar, demolition saws etc. so that would be burglars have to bring their own
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not in my opinion. Why spend money on a safe for ammo when you can spend it on ammo? If there is a fire, I don't mind the ammo burning as I can easily replace it. Same thing if someone steals it, but I can't remember the last time someone stole a bunch of ammo in our neck of the woods. Just seems like an unnecessary expense. If you happen to have room in your gun safe and want to put ammo in, cool, but not a separate safe for ammo.
View Quote
I did this also.  First bought it to store guns in when I lived in an apartment.  I put it at the end of the bed and put a blanket over it.  It looked like a storage chest unless you lifted up the blanket.

Now it holds a fair amount of ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top