Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 1:39:47 PM EDT
So I'm looking for something relatively durable, with a fire rating. $2k is absolute max, and that's stretching it. Under $1500 would be most desirable.

I need to fit a large 50" bolt gun, an AR or two, a shotgun, .22 bolt gun, and eventually another bolt gun as well as two handguns.

I've mostly been looking at the AMSEC stuff, out of the TF, FV, and NF series what would be your pick? Mind you I can only swing the 5924 from the NF series.

What other brands I should be looking at?

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two Cannon 40 gun 45 min fire rated electronic key pads. I had a fire last month where the one in the house survived except the lock melted and fire got in through the hole that connected it to the safe and burned up the papers I had in the safe. I don't recommend electronic locks any more. They are convienent but useless against flames. Dial with key back up will be what I get to replace this one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend Brown, but they are really pricey these days.  I used to work down the street from their factory.  I stopped in one day and saw their quality and commissioned a build.  Back then they would leave out the interior, fire lining, and just spray on cheap paint for an incredible savings.  If they still do that, it may fit your budget. Interiors are easy and fun to build. I bought the 72x56 but had the depth reduced a couple inches to clear the doorway layout of my old house.  Delivery was stupid cheap because I lived 5 minutes away from their shop.  

I also bought my Browning without interior.  My brother bought an Amsec with no interior.  Huge savings here.   

The Brown was the third safe I bought.  Plan accordingly. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have two Cannon 40 gun 45 min fire rated electronic key pads. I had a fire last month where the one in the house survived except the lock melted and fire got in through the hole that connected it to the safe and burned up the papers I had in the safe. I don't recommend electronic locks any more. They are convienent but useless against flames. Dial with key back up will be what I get to replace this one.
View Quote

Dials with keys:  The key is usually not for backup, it is a "day lock". 

People with dial locks are less likely to lock their safe because it is a hassle opening and closing it ten times a day.  Yes, sometimes you need it ten times a day.  With an electronic lock, you just lock it every time.  It absolutely sucks everytime you leave your house to be wondering if you remembered to lock your safe.  My brother and I both changed to E-locks for this very reason.  Dial locks can fuck up too.  After I sold my Browning to a friend, the lock started to fuck up.  I changed that one to an E-lock too.  I still have the combo to my friends safe.  

All of my important papers, passports, marriage license, deed to my house,  tax stamps etc. are inside a separate firebox that is inside my safe.  I have no concern about fire.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on what part of MD you're in I suggest contacting Steve at Steve's Service in Vienna, VA.  He is often at the gun show at the Dulles Expo Center and quite often has used safes that might save you a few bucks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a new NF6036 safe for $1498.00 at the county fair this summer. I think it was under 1800 delivered and bolted down. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a new NF6036 safe for $1498.00 at the county fair this summer. I think it was under 1800 delivered and bolted down. 
View Quote
That's a great price
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's a great price
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a great price
Seriously! I would jump on that in a heartbeat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top