Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2017 10:11:44 AM EDT
I know @thegrayman is SME on this stuff and am hoping somebody out there has some knowledge on this camera. This product has been replaced by their mkII version but I have a chance to get one of these (the older version, new, open-box return) for $140 (Amazon link for info).  I need one more IP camera to complete my setup and have been waiting for a good buy to come along.  I've bought the $140 one but can cancel it within the next few hours easily.  Axis spec sheet:  here

One wrinkle is that it is the LV (indoor, IP-52 rated version) instead of the LVE (outdoor).  The location would be under an eave.  This is the only picture I can find right now, but siding has been installed since the picture was taken.  For install in the lower location I can mount into the plywood.  For the upper location I'll have to get some type of backing board put in there to support the camera.  Right now it looks like the picture with aluminum siding pieces bridging the gap.  Wires were pre-run during construction and can accommodate either location.

I've read some reviews saying this camera is ok for use under a roof but some saying not so much.  Unfortunately, axis is closed until Monday.  I've read through the spec sheets and am still not 100% sure on some stuff:

1.  Is this a pan/tilt/zoom camera?  Most info says no, but some says yes.

2.  Would this camera be ok used under an eave?

3.  At minimum zoom how wide of a field of view can I expect?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks TGM.

I just looked at things some more and saw the recommended operating temp only goes down to 32 F; may keep looking for something else.  Still reading about it.  Over the past year I've managed to get 5 nice cameras at pennies on the dollar so, if this one doesn't work out, I'll wait for the next one to come along.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking at the unit and spec sheet, this is not a PTZ camera. A PTZ camera would be significantly more expensive (figure about $1100-1200 for a good Axis). You can adjust the angle and everything manually when installing the camera.

While it has remote zoom capability, the quality of digital zoom is so so. We used similar axis cameras when I worked in loss prevention management at Target for several years.    

At minimum zoom you'll get a pretty wide field of view. I could usually cover 4 aisles (figure 20 or so feet wide) where I could fully see down each aisle and then a very wide peripheral view.

Overall, I had good experience with Axis products during my time using them.

One issue you may run into with this camera outside is it "freezing" up when the temps get below 32.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I ended up canceling on it.  I only need one more decent POE camera so I'll keep watching and pick one up that is more appropriate.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've installed over a thousand Axis cameras over the years. You're going to want one that is outdoor rated. They have a heater and blower to keep them working all the way down to about -20*. Below that, they'll start to crap out.

When I put cameras in my house, I'll be using HIKVision cameras. I am thoroughly impressed with their quality for such an inexpensive camera.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top