Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2017 2:16:24 PM EDT
Experiences?  From reviews the motion sensor has a 15-20sec lag, have you noticed this?  I'm not trying to replace a full security cam setup, tired of solicitors who ignore my sign and some security for packages left on the porch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
We like it. Would recommend. Had a prob with the first one & they replaced. My wife took care of everything including the setup of interface.

But ... need to make sure you have a solid internet connection. When it drops, so does the door bell.
Also, ours picks up cars passing by on the street. We are ~20' from the street.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#2]
It would probably work good for that.

A neighbor posted their ring video earlier today. Some weird lady walked up to their door, rang the bell then immediately left. At least they got her face on camera if anything else happens down the line.

My camera system, Swann, has been good for keeping most solicitors away.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#3]
we have it and like it. The lag is dependent on what wifi the camera and the viewer are on. I like that it's motion active, too. first night we had it we got an alert to a weird random dude on the porch. never knocked or rang the bell, but was weird to know we could see him on the other side of the door and he couldn't see us.

my baby likes to ring it so I can talk to him while I'm at work.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We like it. Would recommend. Had a prob with the first one & they replaced. My wife took care of everything including the setup of interface.

But ... need to make sure you have a solid internet connection. When it drops, so does the door bell.
Also, ours picks up cars passing by on the street. We are ~20' from the street.
View Quote
Just bought the pro version got it installed, super excited to see it in action and...  it hardly loads the video due to my .8 Mbps upload rate I live in the sticks and have shitty internet. OP make sure you have good internet and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
All the reviews are bad, worse, or so-so.  Not gonna plunk down $200-400+ and cloud service for that.  Great idea but shitty execution.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a doorbell and two stickup cams. Got 'em for Christmas. LOVE them. No, they are not live-video surveillance cameras. They weren't intended to be that. They are wireless, and they sleep to save power. Even the doorbell that is connected to the doorbell power source sleeps, that power source only keeps it charged up. It does not keep the camera live and hot. You can go to "Live View", but the WiFi signal in to wake  them and negotiate security protocols makes the wake cycle slow, sometimes as much as 15 seconds.

The only time a camera is immediate is if you answer the motion triggered feed or door ring. Hearing, and talking thru, works marginally well. Again, wireless and on the fringes of your AP signal range makes them a little sluggish. WiFi Bridges make this much better. The Stickup Cams need to be charged periodically, but you can get a solar charger. Again, that only keeps battery up, it does not change live-view behavior. We have to charge once every couple months, not bad considering they are all getting motion triggers all day long, recording and uploading video every time. Tuning sensitivity/range down can drastically reduce wake cycles and conserve battery, but I would rather see more than save battery.

The cloud storage is cheap at $3 per month per device, compared to the 5-camera Belkin/Wemo system we also run. That system exhibits similar latency, but with far lower resolution and poor low-light performance.The volume of vdeso we can review is staggering.

Yes, it could be a LOT better, but without putting up a powered on-all-the-time camera system the Ring system is really very good. The resolution is pretty damn good for the price. The motion trigger controls are excellent. I would buy more if I was so inclined. It does what it's intended to do, alert you with live video when someone triggers the motion.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You can fine tune the motion zones on the Pro. We get virtually zero false detections, the best ones are when it's a spider walking across the camera lens.

The Ring servers get overloaded every Halloween, so if you're going to run someone through the front door, that's the best time to do it.

But, even when the servers are overloaded, our camera is working, and recording video based on movement just as usual. We are able to review the footage later without issue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be removing mine soon. The Windows 10 app is SLOW and buggy - you also can't change the audio endpoint. So if you have multiple speakers, headsets, etc. connected to your computer, the app doesn't let you choose which one to use.

The night time video sucks. There isn't any real clarity at night.

There was a really bad delay (like 20 seconds or more) between when someone would push the doorbell button, and when the mechanical doorbell would ring. Ring sent us a Chime unit that seems to have resolved that. But I still have times where the video is very pixelated, and the audio cuts in and out. And the audio at the device itself isn't as clear as I'd like. This is likely due to the very small speaker.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
We had latency issues on occasion too. I loaded one of those WiFi signal testing apps on my phone (WiFi Analyzer). When I went outside to the doorbell and closed the door, the signal dropped to almost nothing. The front door is one of those aluminum clad things, great RF signal isolation barriers.

We upgraded to the Ubiquity Mesh Amplifi WiFi system. I had my team install a company wide Ubiquity Mesh system in our 165,000 sq ft factory, and I was so impressed that I bought the home system. It works AWESOME, and all the wireless toys work WAY better now. No lag at all now with the Ring Doorbell or the two Stick-up Cams. It has two "Mesh" repeaters that extend range and signal density to amazing levels. Well worth the money.

A good WiFi system is essential if you expect any wireless device to work well...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I just installed a Pro system this weekend(as a supplement to our NVR/IP system), and I absolutely love it.

I get Apple Watch Motion alerts instantly as someone walks through the area(just got one while typing this actually, UPS Guy showed up), and the delay from button press to mechanical doorbell is a couple of seconds. The last two days have been great when I'm away from the house. I know exactly when UPS/FedEx shows up, etc.

I will be purchasing two/three of the floodlight cameras as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Any further input on the Ring products?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I installed a Ring Pro in June, after we moved into our new house. We really like it a lot. It's great about letting you about motion events in its field of view.  We've got a circle driveway, and usually know someone is here well before they get to the door. The only real criticism that I have is that the resolution isn't good enough to be able to read license plates of vehicles pulling through (it's not really that far from the porch). Overall, it looks pretty good, but does seem to have a bit of a fisheye effect. It's great for IDing people who come up to the porch, and to know what's happening in front of your door (packages delivered, stolen, etc), but beyond that...   I did pay the $30/yr to have cloud storage. It's just worth it to me to have the video footage available if the need arises.

The only issue that I've had with it so far was yesterday when my internet/wifi went south and the Ring did not automatically reconnect. I had to put it in setup mode to get it to reconnect.

All in all, I'd recommend it, as I don't believe that there is currently a better product available for its intended use.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the doorbell version 2 and just ordered a couple AC spotlight models to watch the driveway and rear of house.  

Also note that I have installed the Chime Pro so I can hear chimes inside the house if I don't have my phone on me, and it also ensures the other devices have strong wifi signal (they join the chime pro).  There is a bit of lag time opening a live view, but it's not terrible if you put the camera setting on "open faster".  It says it takes more battery power, but mine is at 91% right now after over a week of being used regularly.  I recommend the version 2 over the standard or the pro simply because you can swap batteries without removing the device, and my house didn't have a doorbell wired so that's important.  The intercom system is pretty nice, being able to answer a door while not home or not wanting to get up is very handy.  Plus it's fun to screw with the wife as she comes and goes.  

Ring is nice because it works out of the box, is standardized, and you don't have to dick around with trying to find somewhere to upload your videos to.  Buy, install, connect to wifi, use.  That simple.  If I were building a house or if I move into one where it's feasible I will run Cat6 and use a more advanced security system, but I don't want to on this one, and Ring does what I expect it to.  For a few hundred you can get pretty good coverage of your property and be notified when theres movement in the field of view.  Night vision is pretty good albeit black and white of course, and I keep my porch light on anyway so it's not even a concern for me.

For the money it's a great solution especially if you're not going to put in the labor and install a professional grade system (which I want to do long-term but not at this house).
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
It is better than nothing and worth the price.  To get what I want is a whole lot more.  Used a stickup cam to bust a thief at my work.  However the first one it could have caught it timed out before she hit the cash.   Had a theft from a desk before she did it on camera again.   But that one got her arrested.

I recommend it but only give it a "C".   Looking forward to  them or a competitor coming out with a much better system.  Happy to pay more to increase reliability, video resolution, and options in operation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I think we are going to get two of the stick up versions with the solar panel. One for the front and one for the back of the house and see how they do.

I would love to run cable and use a better, multi cam system but I have no idea how to do it on this house. Our old house was a single story and pretty easy to run but this one is a brand new two story and I don't want to cut/drill anything inside or outside.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I have it (Ring pro), it works exactly as advertised, I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Simple and easy to use. For the price you can't beat it
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Simple and easy to use. For the price you can't beat it
View Quote
I agree with this completely. Ring Pro user. I love it. The key is to have appropriately fast internet and a good signal at install location.

I like the Ring Pro so much I’m considering buying a couple of the Ring Floodlight Cameras as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
We got the pro, love it. Going to get some of the stick up cams w/ solar next.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Not apples to apples but how does the Ring camera system and their notifications compare to Arlo?

More reliable, less WiFi lag and delays in recording etc?

TIA everyone
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Was going to get a Ring Elite or the Doorbird until I found out they are like $500 each

I made my own PoE doorbell solution with local only recording, zwave HA alerts, and 2-way audio.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
there's a definite lag, but its not that bad.

if someone like a UPS guy is on the clock and booking it, it will start capturing him on video right as he is at your door and you will just catch the video of his face.   My door is around the corner from the walkway, so figures he covers about 4 yards that is in view of camera and you get him on video for the last couple feet and as he walks away.

overall it works decently and I would buy it again, but there is definite room for improvement in pretty much all areas.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I am looking at getting either the doorbell or the flood light option.   My concern is that in the afternoon my kids love to play on the driveway and shoot hoops.   Is there a way to mute the alerts so my phone isn't constantly blowing up while they are playing?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I made my own PoE doorbell solution with local only recording, zwave HA alerts, and 2-way audio.
View Quote
Wut?  Explain please
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am looking at getting either the doorbell or the flood light option.   My concern is that in the afternoon my kids love to play on the driveway and shoot hoops.   Is there a way to mute the alerts so my phone isn't constantly blowing up while they are playing?  Thanks.
View Quote
Yup just go to app turn off motion.  Once they’re done turn it back on. You can also schedule times etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wut?  Explain please
View Quote
I'm using a Dahua villa doorstation model and I hacked it to alert my samsung smartthings system through an open/close zwave sensor. I use blueiris for local recording.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top