Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2012 5:00:05 PM EDT
I have had a GV 2000S since December.  The first set of batteries lasted about 3 or 4 weeks which is much shorter than the manual indicates they should last.  I inquired at the gun store where it was purchased and they didn't think that was right either so they swapped it out for another one.  The problem is that the new one has about the same 3-4 week life on a set of 8 AA batteries.  It's now April 1 and I have swapped out the batteries 3 times.  

I am wondering if there are any other owners of this safe and what you have experienced with battery life?

I have this safe primarily to keep my kids out and to keep my SD handguns readily available if I need them.  I'm not very confident in this safe at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a bunch of GV's with the buttons (none of that fingerprint nonsense).

I replace the batteries once a year in each on principal. I also have a large cabinet-sized GV too that has the ORIGINAL batteries in it. About 4 years! And used daily. I'm just curious how long they'll last although I'll probably replace them soon before they leak.

I don't know if yours has the motion-sensor capability but some of my smaller units did. That motion-sensor is buggy as Hell on mine with many false positives.... I ended up turning it off. Other than that I've never had a problem.

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had one of the larger pushbutton gunvaults for over 8 years now.  Still on the first set of batteries(D-cell).  

I should probably change them out sometime soon.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like I got two duds in a row.  I guess I will call them and see about another return or eBay it and buy something different.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I just recently replaced mine (8 AAs). It had been on its first set after about 7 years when they finally crapped out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, sounds like we have similar problems. I have one of the 8 AA pistol vaults. Several years ago I picked it up at a great sale at Academy Sports; I think I paid about 50 bucks for it. There are no biometrics or prox alarms, etc. on my model.

When I had it in service, I could probably get about 6 to 8 weeks out of it before the batteries would die. At which time I have to replace the batteries and reprogram it. Adding to the wierdness is that after a few days it will start making a strange buzzing noise that will only go away by unplugging the battery tray. It would be alright for a day or two, then sound like a beehive again.

Needless to say, its just been sitting in the closet on top of the long gun locker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top