Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 6:34:10 PM EDT
Just got my new Fatboy Liberty and am trying to figure out what I am going to use for lights inside the safe.  I did a search but didn't find anything.  Tell me or better yet post pics of how you guys lit up your safes.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Couple Dollar store led tap lights for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

x2
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just got my new Fatboy Liberty and am trying to figure out what I am going to use for lights inside the safe.  I did a search but didn't find anything.  Tell me or better yet post pics of how you guys lit up your safes.

Thanks

1. Liberty sells factory motion activated led lights for the fatboy. They install in the ceiling with recessed pucks.

2. There is already a lighting thread in the safes forum if you search for it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My Liberty come with recessed lighting (two hockey puck style), activated by a pressure switch in the door frame.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

me too!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

x2

me too!

Same here, and I added a door switch in line with the circuit so the lights turn on when I open the door, and turn off when I close it.

Since my safe is in a dark area of the garage, I pretty much couldn't do without the lights...  

Ok, and they're just really cool...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Liberty come with recessed lighting (two hockey puck style), activated by a pressure switch in the door frame.

His safe wont come with those, and they are not easy to retrofit in his safe. Only the lincoln and better models have halogen pucks. The franklin series has battery operated motion led lights.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I made my own.

Went down to Ace Hardware and bought these cabinet lights.  Attached them to the underside of the shelves and ran all the wiring.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I made my own.

Went down to Ace Hardware and bought these cabinet lights.  Attached them to the underside of the shelves and ran all the wiring.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/rushca01/DSC00301.jpg

Where did you get the rifle racks from?  What kind of safe and how big?
Looks like it can hold more rifles that way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:50:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I made my own.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/rushca01/DSC00301.jpg

Where did you get the rifle racks from?  What kind of safe and how big?
Looks like it can hold more rifles that way.

Sturdy

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

me too!

Same here, and I added a door switch in line with the circuit so the lights turn on when I open the door, and turn off when I close it.
Since my safe is in a dark area of the garage, I pretty much couldn't do without the lights...  

Can you give a little write up on how to do this? I've been contemplating something similar.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

me too!

Can you give a little write up on how to do this? I've been contemplating something similar.

Dont take this the wrong way, and I dont mean to sound like a jerk.  But if you need someone to write something up on how to make the light come on and off with the door, open and closed then you probably shouldn't be messing with electricity.  Make a mistake and you can start a fire inside your safe.  Do you have any buddies that work on things like this?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I used rope lights and a remote switch in mine.

Home Depot and Lowes sell the rope lights.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

me too!

Dont take this the wrong way, and I dont mean to sound like a jerk.  But if you need someone to write something up on how to make the light come on and off with the door, open and closed then you probably shouldn't be messing with electricity.  Make a mistake and you can start a fire inside your safe.  Do you have any buddies that work on things like this?

I can figure it out myself. I was more intersted in what kind of switch you used (ie. photo sensor, pressure switch, etc.) and where in the safe it was placed.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

me too!

I can figure it out myself. I was more intersted in what kind of switch you used (ie. photo sensor, pressure switch, etc.) and where in the safe it was placed.

Good to know my friend!  I work with electricians and hear horror stories on "home wiring" people take a basic wiring class at home depot or watch a home improvement show and then they think they are good to go to wire their a house.  A fiend of mine just had his garage catch fire because of a "do it your self project"  I feel bad because I offered to help but he was in too big of a hurry to wait on me.  

For lighting I bought a 18" florescence light with its own switch mounted on the light, I then I hooked up a rope light to come on with the florescence light.  I put the florescence light facing the back of my safe above the door and I ran the rope light under the shelves.  Works good and I can see what I need to.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got two strings of rope lights in my safe, one wrapped around the frame just behind the door and the other one at the rear.  They were $8.97 each at Walmart and I wired them up to a manual switch on the outside of the safe.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#17]
A lot of the pictures of lights don't look all that bright in the safes.  Is that just the photo lighting, or is it still pretty dim inside the safe?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A lot of the pictures of lights don't look all that bright in the safes.  Is that just the photo lighting, or is it still pretty dim inside the safe?

The LED lights do okay - for the main part of my safe, I actually used a dual T5 fixture to give me a shitload of light.  The shelves above are lit by some little LED lights I got from Costco.

Here's a shot of the entire thing lit up, you can see how bright the lower part is, it washes out the photo so the upper shelves don't look very bright:

If you look at a closeup of just one of the upper shelves, you can see it's plenty bright to see what you're doing:

It's really just personal preference.  I like a lot of light down below so I don't bang stuff up and so I can see what I'm doing on my side shelving.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Here was my solution and link to the post;

My safe lighting post

It was a little pricy and took some work, but love the way it turned out.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I took my pictures at night with all the room lights turned off.  I don't work on stuff inside the safe, all I do is take things in and put them back.  As long as it's light enough to plainly make out what I'm looking for and put it back without a lot of fumbling around, that's all I need.  Are you planning on setting up a workbench inside the safe?  If not then I don't see a need for super bright lighting.  But it's your safe, set it up so that it makes you happy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top