BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, I'm coming to this thread late in the game and honestly w/o a lot of knowledge about Sig 550 series of guns.  I seem to remember approx. 15 years ago there being a bunch of discussion/excitement of Sigforum about the Sig selling 550's to civilians.  I suspect this was before Sig even started making AR's.  Don't remember what these were going for ... maybe $1,000-1200???

So, I'm trying to figure out what makes these guns desirable at $4,000 a pop.  For that I can buy a HK416 or two very high end AR's.  Not trying to be argumentative, really just curious.  Is it their collectability and the small number that are available in the U.S.?  I mean the gun is an interesting design and I like the folding stock, but am not crazy about a reciprocating charging handle on a gun I would want to shoot.  Also, again my memory is hazy, but I don't seem to recall these being an enormous hit when they were sold by Sig.  But then again, I think this was 15 years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy.

As someone who likes and owns a bunch of different semi-auto "military style" weapons (best term I can think of off the top of my head) I might be willing to crack my wallet open to get one of these if they really are exceptional and likely to appreciate in value.  But I'd have to understand why they command this kind of premium.
View Quote

-They aren't knock offs, go price a HK91 or FN FAL.
-You can't walk into a gun shop and buy one, there is basically only one person bringing them in.
-They were always relatively rare and expensive, even before the import ban.
-People throw the name Rolex around and that pretty much correct, it's a Rolex AK.
-I've always wanted a Swiss 55x and I've got pretty much everything else. You can buy every high end AR made, they are all still pretty much the same.
-I do think this batch is priced a bit high, but I don't know the dynamics of importing firearms or dealing with the Swiss either.

I'd rather have a PE90 honestly and almost did at a "reasonable" price, but taxes and shipping killed that.

I wouldn't tell someone to buy one of these for their first rifle or home defense gun, these are for a niche market, not for the masses. Hey, I'm balking at the price too, then I remembered I owned 3 SR-25's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#2]
The guns are still just as expensive for Swiss citizens buying locally. Keep in mind their currency is 9-10% more than our dollar at the moment. On some models, they actually pay more than we do.

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#3]
They also have mountains of PE 90 rifles that were purchased at the end of a soldiers service available for cheap.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It's odd that the 553R is about $500 less than the other options.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your explanations they were helpful.  And I get that stuff that's entirely Swiss made and of very limited availability can sometimes command a pretty high premium.  Just look at what the Sig Swiss P210's sell for.

Nice to know that these are completely different than the US versions, which I kind of remember not being well received.  That helps too.

As to comparison with HK 416, I made it because I do own one (well everything except the receiver).  My recollection is that I paid $3000 for it a number of years ago.  Pretty sure I could get my money back.   In the meantime I definitely take it to the range from time to time and have fun with it.  Also, did own an original HK94, which I think I paid $2000 for, sold a few years later for $3000 and I'm sure is worth more now.  So I do get buying guns as an investment with the idea of also putting a few rounds downrange and potentially selling down the road for at least what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:Nice to know that these are completely different than the US versions, which I kind of remember not being well received.  That helps too.
View Quote

Based on my memory, they were not well received for a few reasons.  The first was that they were not identical copies.  People wanted the real deal and Sig made changes for the American market.  The second is that the quality was not on par with the original Swiss made rifles and there were reliability issues.  I have two 556's.  One's a Classic rifle and the other is a Classic factory SBR.  I got both near the end of the production.  They have both been 100% reliable.  The fit and finish isn't on par with the Swiss factory rifles, but I honestly have no complaints given what I paid for them.  People also complained about the 556's being front heavy and over gassed.  Well guess what?  The Swiss 55X rifles are also front heavy and over gassed.    
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Weren't the 556's designed to accept AR mags, which for me is a plus?  Also curious, am I right in thinking they were $1000-1100?

Used to hang out on the Sig forum a lot, and as I remember people were super stoked when these were first announced, and somewhat let down after they were released.

And the HK416 is also front heavy, over-gassed and has a harsher recoil than most AR's.  But it is beautifully made and dead nuts reliable.

Glad to hear your 556 is running well.

Probably going to pass on the 551's.  Just bought my first tactical shotgun, so gun funds are pretty low right now.  Hopefully I won't be kicking myself for missing out, like I am for passing on a full auto Uzzi 15 years ago.  My memory is that they were about $4000 at the time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a SAN 553 and I love it. But the American made guns missed the entire thing that made the Swiss rifles extraordinary. Quality.  If you take that away you are left with a rifle that compared to readily available alternatives, is heavy, less modular, less ergonomic, less accurate, less modular, with no aftermarket.  To make things worse the original American guns suffered from reliability problems.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Weren't the 556's designed to accept AR mags, which for me is a plus?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Weren't the 556's designed to accept AR mags, which for me is a plus?

Yes and I agree that accepting AR mags is a plus.  However, they designed the exterior to look completely different than the Swiss NATO lowers.  I have no idea why they did it, but the new look certainly didn't help sales.

Also curious, am I right in thinking they were $1000-1100?

I paid $1,100 and $1,200 for mine if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t think the Swiss NATO lowers existed when the Sig Arms 556 was introduced.  So anything they did was going to look different than a Swiss gun. Even when they circled back and made the 551a1 you could tell them apart from a good distance away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone may know, is he still bringing in the 553's in 5.56? Or were those limited too?
I'd kind of like a steel one in 11.9". I thought I would ask before I bug JDI.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Someone may know, is he still bringing in the 553's in 5.56? Or were those limited too?
I'd kind of like a steel one in 11.9". I thought I would ask before I bug JDI.
View Quote

There are seven 553 SB's, with grey steel receiver and diopters in this batch. There is a lotto for the buy spots. Info is on his facebook page.  

He is still doing full custom orders on 553s to my knowledge, but the lead time is 6-9 months.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don’t think the Swiss NATO lowers existed when the Sig Arms 556 was introduced.  So anything they did was going to look different than a Swiss gun. Even when they circled back and made the 551a1 you could tell them apart from a good distance away.
View Quote

I could be wrong about the Swiss NATO lowers.  They started with this:

and then changed to this:

The latter looks more like what's on the real Swiss rifles which is why they called it the Classic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He is still doing full custom orders on 553s to my knowledge, but the lead time is 6-9 months.
View Quote

How does this work - is it actually possible to call him with an exact spec, and it’ll come in as spec’d? (i.e. barrel length, diopter/rail, finish, furniture color)
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How does this work - is it actually possible to call him with an exact spec, and it’ll come in as spec’d? (i.e. barrel length, diopter/rail, finish, furniture color)
View Quote

That’s how JDI was processing orders for the 553s for the last few years.  I would call Dave to confirm if/how he is accepting orders for 553s.  If you can’t reach him by phone, send him an email.  He’s usually pretty good about responding to emails within a day or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Note how the number of aluminum lower 551's available hasn't budged, but the steel lower 551's are slowly selling.  My thought is buyers prefer the steel lowers in general, but especially if the gun is coming with diopters.  It more of a classic look.  Buyers also prefer the gray finish for guns with steel lowers and diopters.  I'm hoping that Dave changes some of the aluminum lower 551's to rails instead of diopters.  I'd be in for one.  I'd also be in for one with a NATO lower, but I missed the few he had.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much. Give him a call and let him know you want to order a custom 553. He will list off the various option categories and what the options are in each one. All things you listed are customizable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty much. Give him a call and let him know you want to order a custom 553. He will list off the various option categories and what the options are in each one. All things you listed are customizable.
View Quote

Thanks for the lead.

He replied to my email and said that SIG has not opened custom builds. Guess I will be holding off then.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my order in last night for the 551 with a steel lower, the website didn’t change number available after my order for two(had to have 2 boys). Thought that was strange.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:…My thought is buyers prefer the steel lowers in general, but especially if the gun is coming with diopters.  It more of a classic look…
View Quote

I agree that the steel lower has more of a classic look and is my preference as well.  I purchased a 551 LB conversion upper receiver assembly from JDI in 2018 and mated it to a new steel lower.  It has black paint, black furniture, and a Picatinny rail.   Although the serial numbers on the upper, lower, and bolt carrier don’t match, that combination is my favorite of the SIG/SAN rifles I have.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are seven 553 SB's, with grey steel receiver and diopters in this batch. There is a lotto for the buy spots. Info is on his facebook page.  

View Quote

I'm in the lotto for the PE90, with my luck I would win both and be screwed lol. I really don't want to be on the hook for $12k worth of pistols lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm in the lotto for the PE90, with my luck I would win both and be screwed lol. I really don't want to be on the hook for $12k worth of pistols lol.
View Quote

Any one have any luck with the lotto drawings?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing here on two guns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

If anything has been announced I sure I haven't heard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Lotto. ?????
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I got 1 out of the 3. Got the email last night
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You suck! Congrats man.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go buy a lottery ticket. Your second post on this forum happens to be in this thread, you have information about the AL lowers before I saw it anywhere else and you got drawn for one of these import pistols.

Get that ticket!
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Go buy a lottery ticket. Your second post on this forum happens to be in this thread, you have information about the AL lowers before I saw it anywhere else and you got drawn for one of these import pistols.

Get that ticket!
View Quote

I posted info That was on Jdi’s facebook page to answer a forum members question. Unfortunately I don’t have any inside info.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I posted info That was on Jdi’s facebook page to answer a forum members question. Unfortunately I don’t have any inside info.
View Quote

Just messing with you, enjoy your new gun. I have a 550 and 553 with 2 of those 551’s coming, always could use one more.

david
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Not sure if this has been brought up.
But, there is a pre order happening right now for 551 16" barrel!
Fuck Yeah!

Steel or Aluminum lower.

I'm IN!
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not sure if this has been brought up.
But, there is a pre order happening right now for 551 16" barrel!
Fuck Yeah!

Steel or Aluminum lower.

I'm IN!
View Quote

It’s been open for a month.

But I’m glad there’s enough guns for anyone that wants one. It was annoying trying to order over the phone while contending with the neckbeards flipping them on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Glad I found it in time.
47 left.
Was there 250 total?
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Glad I found it in time.
47 left.
Was there 250 total?
View Quote

I believe there were originally 340 available.  That quantity was announced before Dave stated you could pre-order steel and/or aluminum receivers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally all the 16" barrel 551's were going to be the same.  Then they updated the listing to have a few with NATO lowers, a decent quantity with steel lowers and 95 with aluminum lowers.  The latter two take the original rock and lock magazines.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I heard 15 Nato, all gone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Steel Lower for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#39]
The AL aren't selling and things have really slowed to a crawl on the steel.

JDI needs to start filling back orders on stocks and magazines. If I can't get either, I'll cancel my order.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They were gone in a flash.

Quoted:
The AL aren't selling and things have really slowed to a crawl on the steel.

Literally one aluminum lower 551 has sold.  The aluminum lowers started at 95 available and are down to 94.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I am wondering, for anyone who ordered an “unfinished” 550 or 551SB from March and earlier, who has actually received their gun after paint?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Rare San Swiss Sig 550 Alpine 5.56 NATO not 551 553 HK

GB Auction # 910851428

Not sure what to think?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

GB Auction # 910851428

Not sure what to think?
View Quote

That paint isn't original Swiss. The blurb in the ad is BS. There's nothing limited or rare about this gun - Dave offered people the chance to buy unfinished guns and pick what cerakote they'd get after being shipped to the states.

It's an aftermarket cerakote job, period.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Yuk.  If I remember correctly, JDI did import some 553 Alpines.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am wondering, for anyone who ordered an “unfinished” 550 or 551SB from March and earlier, who has actually received their gun after paint?
View Quote

Or stocks, pins, and magazines for that matter. Never been charged for something on backorder w/ no estimated date before, not thrilled about that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That paint isn't original Swiss. The blurb in the ad is BS. There's nothing limited or rare about this gun - Dave offered people the chance to buy unfinished guns and pick what cerakote they'd get after being shipped to the states.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GB Auction # 910851428

Not sure what to think?

I don’t have anything to do with that auction but it does look like factory Swiss alpine furniture and the finish was applied before the dust cover was installed.
Just being a factory 550 makes it rare. It looks better than most of the hideous factory finishes, that “heavy metal” or the colored special editions. Even their fde was/is ugly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don’t have anything to do with that auction but it does look like factory Swiss alpine furniture and the finish was applied before the dust cover was installed.
Just being a factory 550 makes it rare. It looks better than most of the hideous factory finishes, that “heavy metal” or the colored special editions. Even their fde was/is ugly.
View Quote

I ordered one of those guns. Dave confirmed that they came in with black furniture. So it's definitely not original to the gun.

In the context here, "rare" is being used to try to pass it off as a harder to find variant of the 550, which simply isn't the case - as that gun is not in a factory configuration from Sig AG.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:13:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s correct. In the 90s Knights Armament made a lower for the 552 that used M16 mags and M4 stock and reportedly the early 556 lower was very similar to it. I would bet the KAC lower lacked the Command Arms aesthetics of Exeter’s lower.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In the 90s Knights Armament made a lower for the 552 that used M16 mags and M4 stock and reportedly the early 556 lower was very similar to it.
View Quote
Was this used by SEAL teams, prior to the development of the CQBR?

I read some SEALs fielded the 552. Not sure which team(s).
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes,
This Alpine, not original Swiss.
Pass.

But, the 551 - 16" Pre Order:

That is the shit!
Pony up, on this one boys!
You will never regret it!
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top