BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
How well does the 716I suppress?
View Quote

The information that several users have reported back with said they run fine, no issues noted, no problems occurred. Its all mostly within this thread or over at SIGTalk or Snipershide.

Originally Posted By Tangotag:
Which version of the Magpul MIAD grip works best on the 716i?
View Quote

Not to sure on the MIAD config specifically for yourself but it is a very customizable good grip. I personally have been using the Magpul MOE K2+ and have switched all my AR patterned guns over to it. They grip angle and rubber grippy texture are pretty amazing.
https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/grips/ar15-m4-m16-sr25-m110-ar10/moe-k2-plus-grip-ar15-m4.html?mp_global_color=118
They also offer a beefed up version for you fellas with jumbo paws.....
https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/grips/ar15-m4-m16-sr25-m110-ar10/moe-k2-xl-grip.html

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I installed a Dead Air flash hider on mine. My Sandman is still in NFA jail. The SIG flash hider was really torqued on there. I had to order the collar for muzzle as when I asked SIG they said it was not included but sold separately.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Which version of the Magpul MIAD grip works best on the 716i?
View Quote

You want the Type 1 kit for standard AR15 receivers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
How well does the 716I suppress?
View Quote

As well as any other AR type rifle.  

I use the YHM Phantom.  A bit heavy by some standards but built like a tank.
Makes the rifle safe to fire without hearing protection.  Sounds pretty much the
same as a 5.56mm AR rifle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 5:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#4]
Originally Posted By Rockdoc:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9444/SIG_716_jpg-2150182.JPG

ACOG 4x32 7.62 reticle older model, Larue Trigger. Not planning on putting a LVPO on it as the ACOG works for me with what I can see with old eyes.

Have shot 300+ rounds of reloads, Federal Match, Aussie, Radway Green, and Hirtenberger.  Glad I stocked up back in the day.

Match was running about 1 1/5 inches, surplus 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards in some wind.  Only issues were 2 dud primers with FN primed cases from the late 1970s used for blasting reloads.  They are getting to the end of life for any FN primers so no surprises there.

Really getting to like the rifle, a bit more recoil than the FAL, no surprise there either.

I am noticing when the gun is hot that there is some resistance to unlocking.  Once cool no problem.  Assuming it is the tight fitting that will wear in.

I have a Larue 7.62 suppressor and a spare mount to put on the SIG.  According to Larue it will fit. Noticed the comments about tapered SIG threads. Am I in for a surprise?   Use a propane torch to get it loose?
View Quote

@Rockdoc and @scottfn308

What front sling mount are you using?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 12:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonolithicRP] [#5]
Ok, I had to get one of these.  Just picked it up and wow, first impressions are great.  Fit and finish is excellent and it's really just a good looking gun.  I was surprised when I put it on the scale too, weighing in at 7.875 lbs as delivered.  It feels very light and balanced for a .308 gas gun.  Looks like the inside of the bolt carrier is chrome lined, can't really tell what the bore is (maybe after cleaning it I can).  Chamber *looks* chrome lined so if that's the case the bore would be too.  I believe this is a pretty recent s/n for what its worth.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#6]
@hammermill290

Welcome to the 716I-land. Sweet initial assessment. I'm glad you are happy with the craftsmanship. I think we are all impressed especially for the price.

As for the materials I agree, mine also appears to have a Chrome Lined Bolt Carrier, Chamber and Bore. I believe the Bolt Carrier is DLC on the exterior and the barrel is Nitrided on the exterior for all models. Everyone has been up in air over it but I'm 99.9% sure I'm right. Now there isn't a G2 there is just some of us who've gotten 716I India Mil Contract barrels(Chrome Lined) and some that have fully nitrided barrels (US Commercial variant) both are high quality and differences are negligible for the average user but SIG has been known to do this in the past with runs of 516s and other Mil/LE contract items when stock is short. Makes sense to keep production up.
Main point to drive is regardless of whatever 716I's you get, fellas your getting an amazing gun. In a few minutes we're gonna realize I probably just started another shit storm.....

Well off to pick up my 716G2 Patrol and my new 365XL. Talk to you fellas soon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
SIG 716G2 & 716I compatibility
Lowers are identical and swap no problem. I will test function next time I'm at the range.
Attachment Attached File

The Charging Handles are almost identical. The newer one on the right is the 716I which is an updated design going away from the standard USGI type handle with upgraded Ambi pull levers that the G2 has. Both feel the same weight so I'm not sure why some people are paying so much for the G2 version. Probably a SIG CS screw up that did not benefit the customer.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now the complete BCG's are almost identical in size but not swappable because the 716I is Direct Impingement and the 716G2 is a Short Stroke push rod piston system. Note how the G2 Bolt on the Left does not have the 716I gas rings or housing and instead of a removable staked gas key it is a solid one piece wall for the push rod piston to strike.
On a positive though the firing pin, bolt cam pin, and firing pin retainer pin are identical and should be completely swappable.
If you guys need more info please let me know or if I missed something. Good day to you fellas.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
^^^ Interesting stuff @GLD1980

Something else I saw that confuses things even more (at least for me) is the Sig website in one place says these have stainless barrels...everything else I've seen stated they were carbon steel.  (see item 04 in the pic below)

Another question, do we know what the markings on the top front of the carrier mean?  Mine has 'DC' and I've seen that some have 'MB'.

Sorry if I rehash anything, just curious and I didn't see any mention of these things in my reading.  Either way I'll be happy with my 716i as long as it shoots well...can't wait to try it out.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 6:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottfn308] [#9]
Originally Posted By C-4:

@Rockdoc and @scottfn308

View Quote

I use the one pictured.  I can't remember where I got it, but it says MagPul on it.  

The sling swivels came with the Blue Force padded UDC sling.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:59:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#10]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

Something else I saw that confuses things even more (at least for me) is the Sig website in one place says these have stainless barrels...everything else I've seen stated they were carbon steel.  (see item 04 in the pic below)

Another question, do we know what the markings on the top front of the carrier mean?  Mine has 'DC' and I've seen that some have 'MB'.

Sorry if I rehash anything, just curious and I didn't see any mention of these things in my reading.  Either way I'll be happy with my 716i as long as it shoots well...can't wait to try it out.

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/wysiwyg/716-tread-callouts-with-qd_1.jpg
View Quote

@hammermill290

The barrels are Carbon Steel but with SIG you never can be too sure. They like to keep the secret sauce a secret.
Regarding the BCG, it could be their way of marking Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) BCG's going forward. I will try to find out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hinkar] [#11]
@GLD1980

Great thread and someone from another forum recommended it after I started a thread on which ar10 etc.  I've read through this thread in its entirety, and this goes for anyone who has experience with the Tread and a G2 716 Patrol; if you had a choice between the 2 (same $$) which would you choose and why?  I have experience with the G2 Patrol and a couple various DI ar308's.  Both a G2 Patrol and the tread are available locally.  Decisions...
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#12]
Originally Posted By hinkar:
@gld1980

Great thread and someone from another forum recommended it after I started a thread on which ar10 etc.  I've read through this thread in its entirety, and this goes for anyone who has experience with the Tread and a G2 716 Patrol; if you had a choice between the 2 (same $$) which would you choose and why?  I have experience with the G2 Patrol and a couple various DI ar308's.  Both a G2 Patrol and the tread are available locally.  Decisions...
View Quote

@hinkar
I really can't compare, I've yet to shoot them against eachother, but fit and finish is identical. They are both well made and beautifully finished brothers IMHO.
I've always been fond of piston guns but after several years in austere environments and no issues, I respect DI. In my opinion, the 716I is the better value and performs better than most will ever need so the discussion is kind of a moot point. Then again the G2's will be extinct soon and the 716I's will live on for a while longer through the India MOD contract so maybe get the G2 now and the 716I later.
Compared to all the AR-308/ AR-10 type battle rifles, the 716I can do what they can do, and it can do it for a price that none of the other guns can do those things for and for me that means a lot. I feel if they introduce the SDI AMBI Lower found on the M400 and different calibers and barrel lengths, SIG will have earned it's place alongside LMT, KAC, H&K, LaRue with large frame AR's too. Hopefully competition brought on by Geissele will cause this evolution to happen sooner rather than later.
Then again the NGSW MCX .308 is on the way.

Good luck and let us know what route you go.

ETA....

Just reread your post, for the same money get the 716G2 because at $1500 it's worth $500-$1000 more if sold right.

I found the SDI fully AMBI lower for big guns on the new NGSW, but I can't afford this.
https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/the-spear-is-making-an-appearance.419717/
For those of us poor's our only hope is to get this lower on an upgraded 716I Legion or Spectre or TACOPS, whatever the fuck they want to call it, JUST DROP IT SIG!
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By scottfn308:

I use the one pictured.  I can remember where I got it, but it says MagPul on it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22729/sling_mount_jpg-2285543.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scottfn308:

@Rockdoc and @scottfn308

I use the one pictured.  I can remember where I got it, but it says MagPul on it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22729/sling_mount_jpg-2285543.JPG

Thank you @scottfn308

Primary Arms has them or similar Magpul one.

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 2:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big_Brakes] [#14]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:
Lowers are identical and swap no problem. I will test function next time I'm at the range.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_122538_jpg-2285373.JPG

The Charging Handles are almost identical. The newer one on the right is the 716I which is an updated design going away from the standard USGI type handle with upgraded Ambi pull levers that the G2 has. Both feel the same weight so I'm not sure why some people are paying so much for the G2 version. Probably a SIG CS screw up that did not benefit the customer.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_123013_jpg-2285376.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_123258_jpg-2285382.JPG

Now the complete BCG's are almost identical in size but not swappable because the 716I is Direct Impingement and the 716G2 is a Short Stroke push rod piston system. Note how the G2 Bolt on the Left does not have the 716I gas rings or housing and instead of a removable staked gas key it is a solid one piece wall for the push rod piston to strike.
On a positive though the firing pin, bolt cam pin, and firing pin retainer pin are identical and should be completely swappable.
If you guys need more info please let me know or if I missed something. Good day to you fellas.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_123331_jpg-2285387.JPG
View Quote

That FDE 716 upper looks great!  I know they are a little heavier….but man that looks good!

My 716 has been upgraded a little.  I put a Trijicon TR26-C on there. Haven’t been able to take it out yet…dislocated shoulder and got surgery coming up.  Hopefully by the time I’m healed up my Sandman and Primal will be outta jail so I can provide feedback.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BigBrakes76:

That FDE 716 upper looks great!  I know they are a little heavier….but man that looks good!

My 716 has been upgraded a little.  I put a Trijicon TR26-C on there. Haven’t been able to take it out yet…dislocated shoulder and got surgery coming up.  Hopefully by the time I’m healed up my Sandman and Primal will be outta jail so I can provide feedback.  
View Quote

@BigBrakes76
Thank you. I agree the 716G2 has its own good looks even though it's a little bit bigger. The FDE helps in my opinion.

Man I look forward to you healing up so we can hear your review of the Sandman and Primal with your 716I and that sweet TR26-C. That seems like the perfect range of scope for this rifle.

Take care.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#16]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/wysiwyg/716-tread-callouts-with-qd_1.jpg
View Quote

You know, I thought mine was too dark to be chrome but too light to be bare carbon steel. I’d bet money mine is stainless. Didn’t even think that was a possibility. DLC on the exterior of a stainless barrel is something I can live with.

ETA: I just googled 716 Tread stainless and of course there’s a million results showing it as being stainless. Looks like you guys with the early guns got lucky with the nitrided carbon barrels, but I can’t complain.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:40:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cspackler33] [#17]

Wow that is a good deal! Let us know what you think of it after you take it out.
View Quote

Shot it at 100 to zero with my preferred hunting load ADI 165 sgk.  Got about 2" and same with Aussie f4 m80.  Great feeling gun and can tell the difference when shooting b2b with mid gassed 16" lr308.  Couple weeks I get to take it to my property and plan on shooting steel at 400m so we'll see.

Yes, it was a good deal.....so much so that I didn't mention the included 350 rounds of m80 (hirt, rg, LC) and 120rds of Hornady 168 amax and 178 eldx 🤯 and 40 of some black box 152 Lehigh chaos rounds?
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cspackler33:

Shot it at 100 to zero with my preferred hunting load ADI 165 sgk.  Got about 2" and same with Aussie f4 m80.  Great feeling gun and can tell the difference when shooting b2b with mid gassed 16" lr308.  Couple weeks I get to take it to my property and plan on shooting steel at 400m so we'll see.

Yes, it was a good deal.....so much so that I didn't mention the included 350 rounds of m80 (hirt, rg, LC) and 120rds of Hornady 168 amax and 178 eldx 🤯 and 40 of some black box 152 Lehigh chaos rounds?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cspackler33:

Wow that is a good deal! Let us know what you think of it after you take it out.

You stole it. Great deal! Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#19]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_122538_jpg-2285373.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_123013_jpg-2285376.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_123258_jpg-2285382.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_123331_jpg-2285387.JPG
View Quote

Does the piston bolt and carrier lock up in the DI upper? Might not be able to test in reverse since the piston will interfere with the gas key of the DI model.

I’m guessing they use a DPMS pattern bolt in both but I still haven’t been able to confirm.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:29:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#20]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

Does the piston bolt and carrier lock up in the DI upper? Might not be able to test in reverse since the piston will interfere with the gas key of the DI model.

I’m guessing they use a DPMS pattern bolt in both but I still haven’t been able to confirm.
View Quote

@olds442tyguy
Yes but the 716G2 BCG in the TREAD is quite snug.  I don't think it is due to their unique tolerances being off as much as I believe it's because the 716G2 is new and it's Charging Handle is not broken in, or maybe the entire piece is a just a bit taller. You also guessed correctly with the DI BCG in the G2 Piston, it can't lock up because the gas key but the Bolt Faces are identical.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]

@olds442tyguy
Yes but the 716G2 BCG in the TREAD is quite snug.  I don't think it is due to their unique tolerances being off as much as I believe it's because the 716G2 is new and it's Charging Handle is not broken in, or maybe the entire piece is a just a bit taller. You also guessed correctly with the DI BCG in the G2 Piston, it can't lock up because the gas key but the Bolt Faces are identical.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_164746_jpg-2292753.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_164733_jpg-2292755.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220219_143805_jpg-2292758.JPG
View Quote

Great info and great sticks.

I could have swore someone made a carbon fiber handguard for those too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:58:31 AM EDT
[#22]
What kind of ejection patterns are you guys seeing? Mine seems to be ejection at 5-5:30. Being a lefty, spent brass kisses my nose and bounced off of my shoulder.

I have only put about 20 rounds through it so far so maybe it needs to break in a bit and the ejection will normalize between 3-4 o'clock.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I read through this thread and I haven't seen this posted as an issue.  Maybe it's just me.

I picked up my 716i this week and my safety selector seems really stiff to me.  

I can flick it down from Safe to Fire without trouble.  But to flick the safety back to Safe I need to adjust my hand on the pistol grip to get enough leverage.

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By toyotaman:
I read through this thread and I haven't seen this posted as an issue.  Maybe it's just me.

I can flick it down from Safe to Fire without trouble.  But to flick the safety back to Safe I need to adjust my hand on the pistol grip to get enough leverage.

View All Quotes

Mine was kinda stiff.  When I changed the pistol grip, I put a dab of grease on the detent and after reassembly flipped the selector back forth a bunch of times.  It's much better now.

Originally Posted By Rifle_length:
What kind of ejection patterns are you guys seeing? Mine seems to be ejection at 5-5:30. Being a lefty, spent brass kisses my nose and bounced off of my shoulder.

I have only put about 20 rounds through it so far so maybe it needs to break in a bit and the ejection will normalize between 3-4 o'clock.

I just got a chance to put a few rounds through mine today.  Ejection on mine was to about 5:00.  I'm not sure that any break in will change that, I guess we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I actually changed out the safety on mine to a Colt AR-15 safety, and it is far smoother.   I just couldn't
get along with the standard Sig ambi safety.  I was fairly smooth, but the support side tab rubbed my
finger and I just couldn't deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MonolithicRP:

Mine was kinda stiff.  When I changed the pistol grip, I put a dab of grease on the detent and after reassembly flipped the selector back forth a bunch of times.  It's much better now.

I just got a chance to put a few rounds through mine today.  Ejection on mine was to about 5:00.  I'm not sure that any break in will change that, I guess we'll see.
View Quote

Yep, between 4 and 5 o'clock for me too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#27]

@hammermill290

The barrels are Carbon Steel but with SIG you never can be too sure. They like to keep the secret sauce a secret.
Regarding the BCG, it could be their way of marking Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) BCG's going forward. I will try to find out.
View Quote

I don't know why Sig refuses to address the barrel treatment questions that many people have been asking.

I suspect it is because they're going to do the "Sig Hat Trick" which is put out units with chrome lined India Contract barrels until those run out, and then stick everyone else with something less desirable.  I recently sold a 716i with what appeared to be a chromed chamber and bore.  I shot 200 rounds out of one of my other Sig 716i's yesterday.  It too appears to have a chrome bore and chamber.  I have yet another one that looks like it might be bare or nitrided.

All have / had chrome lined BCGs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

You know, I thought mine was too dark to be chrome but too light to be bare carbon steel. I’d bet money mine is stainless. Didn’t even think that was a possibility. DLC on the exterior of a stainless barrel is something I can live with.

ETA: I just googled 716 Tread stainless and of course there’s a million results showing it as being stainless. Looks like you guys with the early guns got lucky with the nitrided carbon barrels, but I can’t complain.
View Quote

I have owned three Sig 716i ...

22M005xxx
22M006xxx (SOLD on this website)
22M007xxx

The 5xxx and 6xxx had what appeared to be chrome lined bores and chambers.  The 7xxx is harder to tell.

I'm shooting 5xxx, and accuracy is outstanding (with Wolf steel case 145gr FMJ).  Using a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x with a makeshift rest it will push 5 rounds through a ragged stringed hole easily.  I can hit a 8" plate 100% of the time using the 400 BDC hash (hold at top of 8" plate for lower 1/3 hits).  This is from a 50M zero.

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Rifle_length:

View Quote

200 rounds yesterday.

All 3 to 3:30 with the exception of 1 that dribbled out and stayed on the bench.

Wolf (black box steel case) 145gr FMJ
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#30]
50M zero while semi-rapid firing for "50M five round group" using Wolf (black box classic steel case) 145gr FMJ and Sig's TERRIBLE trigger.  If I drop a LaRue MBT in this rifle I'll close the groups to 50-75% of this size.  Black circle is approximately 2" in diameter.

For those of you who don't shoot "longer distance" ... here's a view of about 400 yards:

This is an (approximately) 8" plate at that distance zoomed in as tight as my iPhone will allow:

NOTE: there is some debate at my range regarding the exact distance.  Some say its 375, others 385 and others 400.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#31]
Magpul K2-XL pistol grip and Pro backup sights with the 200-600 wheel. The grip is great for my XL hands.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 4:31:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#32]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

I don't know why Sig refuses to address the barrel treatment questions that many people have been asking.

I suspect it is because they're going to do the "Sig Hat Trick" which is put out units with chrome lined India Contract barrels until those run out, and then stick everyone else with something less desirable.  I recently sold a 716i with what appeared to be a chromed chamber and bore.  I shot 200 rounds out of one of my other Sig 716i's yesterday.  It too appears to have a chrome bore and chamber.  I have yet another one that looks like it might be bare or nitrided.

All have / had chrome lined BCGs.
View Quote

I have owned three Sig 716i ...

22M005xxx
22M006xxx (SOLD on this website)
22M007xxx

The 5xxx and 6xxx had what appeared to be chrome lined bores and chambers.  The 7xxx is harder to tell.

I'm shooting 5xxx, and accuracy is outstanding (with Wolf steel case 145gr FMJ).  Using a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x with a makeshift rest it will push 5 rounds through a ragged stringed hole easily.  I can hit a 8" plate 100% of the time using the 400 BDC hash (hold at top of 8" plate for lower 1/3 hits).  This is from a 50M zero.

View Quote

50M zero while semi-rapid firing for "50M five round group" using Wolf (black box classic steel case) 145gr FMJ and Sig's TERRIBLE trigger.  If I drop a LaRue MBT in this rifle I'll close the groups to 50-75% of this size.  Black circle is approximately 2" in diameter.

https://i.ibb.co/9vK8mH8/2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/5B7YyG9/1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wKc070B/3.jpg

For those of you who don't shoot "longer distance" ... here's a view of about 400 yards:

https://i.ibb.co/BKLCM1r/4.jpg

This is an (approximately) 8" plate at that distance zoomed in as tight as my iPhone will allow:

https://i.ibb.co/4s2gJnb/5.jpg

NOTE: there is some debate at my range regarding the exact distance.  Some say its 375, others 385 and others 400.
View Quote

@GaryT1776
My 716I serial is a 22M002***. My 716I definitely appears to be a Nitrided Barrel with a Chrome Lined bore. Infact my 716G2 Patrol, 556RG2, and my M400 Switchblade all share the same type of barrel, a Nitrided exterior with a Chrome Lined bore. The Chambers may vary but I will check manana.

Great shooting and great pics. That is a sweet range! Out of curiosity, why did you get so many sell one and buy another? Did you not like it at first?

Also, you are very well acquainted with the 716I platform, what more can you share or point out for the new owner or those of us more familiar with the 716I?

Finally, I hope you don't mind helping me and the other owners out when some of the newer owners or perspective buyers ask questions we can't answer. We are building a strong collective here. I am thinking about asking a MOD to sticky this thread because of all the quality information several owners have shared.

Thanks for your time.

Dan
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

@Tangotag
Very nice set-up and welcome to the 716I-Land! I am running the Magpul K2+ on all of my AR's and the Magpul Pro Offset's on all of my AR's with magnified optics. What type of optic are you pondering?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Right now, I’ve got a Trijicon MRO, 1-8 Strike Eagle both in AD lever mounts. Also a TA31 Acog that can swap on and off.
Eventually LVPO, EoTech, or maybe a TA11H-308G.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Any thoughts on the Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-14x 50mm scope for this Sig?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362173644?pid=936654

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:56:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#36]
Well that was an easy decision. Mark 4 M1 ordered for the Sig.
This forum is peril for the pocket book.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Any deals going on these rifles?  Grabagun seems out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
Any deals going on these rifles?  Grabagun seems out.
View Quote

@Macumazahn

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-716i-tread-308win-20rd-16-m-lok-rifle-black-r716i-16b-trd.html?avad=211021_a2746e3cd&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=df
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Nobody has a rangefinder? Seems like most rifle guys I know have one. Would clear it up real quick.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Any thoughts on the Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-14x 50mm scope for this Sig?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/46EE9883-CAE6-4068-AE27-B1F2C9950799-2302175.jpg
View Quote

Even Philippines made vortex pst gen Ii have better glass than most any old mkiv
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#41]
I replaced the Sig Sierra 3BDX 4x16x42 with a Nightforce ATACR of the same magnification with a Geissele Sr25 Sopmod mount.  Midwest Gun Works got the Ambi Handles in stock so awaiting its arrival
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:33:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#42]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/46EE9883-CAE6-4068-AE27-B1F2C9950799-2302175.jpg
View Quote

@C-4
Great deal on some great glass, enjoy!

View Quote

@Tangotag
I agree, It is way too easy to spend a lot of money here. Nice score on the Leupold. SIGTalk got me in February really bad but even though FEB hurt, I had so much fun. I picked up an M400 Switchblade, a 716G2 Patrol FDE and a P365XL all within a few days of eachother. I also Backordered a 516G2 14.5 URG and finished froggy placing a chunky deposit on the MCX Rattler Canebrake in .300AAC. Crazy part is I still have a SIG checklist with 4-5 more guns I plan to obtain.

Originally Posted By GoRebels:
I replaced the Sig Sierra 3BDX 4x16x42 with a Nightforce ATACR of the same magnification with a Geissele Sr25 Sopmod mount.  Midwest Gun Works got the Ambi Handles in stock so awaiting its arrival
View Quote

@GoRebels
Your setup sounds sweet. Can you share a pic and also your opinion of the 716I's performance capability.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 1:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWHAILYEAH] [#43]
I will be participating in this thread but I am just assembling this rig.  It was your thread right here that made say screw it and buy it.  I found the combo at Hinterland with BDX scope in stock last month and just got around to picking it all up.  You guys already had me ordering the Ambi Handle that just came in stock and I agree the stock is just not right for this type of rifle so I'm playing with a B5 Sopmod right this moment.  Currently awaiting the Surefire warcomp, Ambi Handle and G mount to arrive.  I have moved the BDX to my 18" Wilson Combat barreled 556 setup and have the NF in hand.

As New except Badger Mount in place of factory rings...

Scope comparison Same magnification but NF has a 34mm body........ BDX is 30mm in a Badger C1 1.70

Sig BDX is actually a nice piece of glass for what it is and the bluetooth ballistic app sounds promising
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I will be participating in this thread but I am just assembling this rig.  It was your thread right here that made say screw it and buy it.  I found the combo at Hinterland with BDX scope in stock last month and just got around to picking it all up.  You guys already had me ordering the Ambi Handle that just came in stock and I agree the stock is just not right for this type of rifle so I'm playing with a B5 Sopmod right this moment.  Currently awaiting the Surefire warcomp, Ambi Handle and G mount to arrive.  I have moved the BDX to my 18" Wilson Combat barreled 556 setup and have the NF in hand.

As New except Badger Mount in place of factory rings...

https://i.imgur.com/81VmNfB.jpg?1

Scope comparison Same magnification but NF has a 34mm body........ BDX is 30mm in a Badger C1 1.70

https://i.imgur.com/VEn4lG7.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/cUQYZ1d.jpg?1

Sig BDX is actually a nice piece of glass for what it is and the bluetooth ballistic app sounds promising
View Quote

I was debating their 2-8 BDX for mine. I heard they were coming out with a new generation of them though.

I did want to ask though, are the illuminated parts daylight bright? Saw a video where they were pretty damn clear but hard to tell since it was a sponsored video.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 7:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#45]

@C-4

@Tangotag
I agree, It is way too easy to spend a lot of money here. Nice score on the Leupold. SIGTalk got me in February really bad but even though FEB hurt, I had so much fun. I picked up an M400 Switchblade, a 716G2 Patrol FDE and a P365XL all within a few days of eachother. I also Backordered a 516G2 14.5 URG and finished froggy placing a chunky deposit on the MCX Rattler Canebrake in .300AAC. Crazy part is I still have a SIG checklist with 4-5 more guns I plan to obtain.

@GoRebels
Your setup sounds sweet. Can you share a pic and also your opinion of the 716I's performance capability.

Thanks
View All Quotes

@C-4

@Tangotag

@GoRebels

Thanks

Thank you.

@GLD1980, what mount are you using, and will it accommodate the Leupold Mark 4 M1 with 30mm tube/50mm ocular bell size?

@GoRebels, great pictures.  Will the Badger C1 1.70 accommodate the Leupold Mark 4 M1 with 30mm tube/50mm ocular bell size?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Sig Sierra 3BDX is plenty daylight bright and I imagine the newer 6 series is better.  Yes the badger should fit your scope as the large objective will be far facing.  You see it pictured with the 42mm objective in my pic with plenty of room.  This is my first venture into the AR10 platform and large scopes so I’m reading and learning looking forward to spring for shooting time.  All I do is work 13-15 hrs a day then sleep and play in the late night building my rifles as of late.  I’m well versed in the 556 but not 762/308 .

I’ll see about getting pics of reticle of both illumination next weekend if sun is out
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cantright] [#47]
View Quote

No one has a rangefinder?
ETA: beat like a red headed Ukrainian.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Sig Sierra 3BDX is plenty daylight bright and I imagine the newer 6 series is better.  Yes the badger should fit your scope as the large objective will be far facing.  You see it pictured with the 42mm objective in my pic with plenty of room.  This is my first venture into the AR10 platform and large scopes so I’m reading and learning looking forward to spring for shooting time.  All I do is work 13-15 hrs a day then sleep and play in the late night building my rifles as of late.  I’m well versed in the 556 but not 762/308 .

I’ll see about getting pics of reticle of both illumination next weekend if sun is out
View Quote

Thank you @GoRebels
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:56:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#49]
@GoRebels or anyone that’s knowledgeable:

Which height of the ones listed, 1.54”, 1.70” or 1.94”?  It’s literally right in your post.

Does yours have 20 MOA?  When I took Sig Sauers Precision Rifle course, I could correct for ~ 500 yards with 0 MOA so my guess is I’d go with that for the Sig 716i?

https://triadtactical.com/badger-condition-one-modular-mount/
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:50:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Thank you.

@GLD1980, what mount are you using, and will it accommodate the Leupold Mark 4 M1 with 30mm tube/50mm ocular bell size?

@GoRebels, great pictures.  Will the Badger C1 1.70 accommodate the Leupold Mark 4 M1 with 30mm tube/50mm ocular bell size?
View Quote

My mount is the Nikon M-Tactical mount offered for my scope, very rigid but it's not a clamp on it is a slide on. It gets the job done but I want to replace it with a Q/D type mount from either ADM or LaRue. Now in regards to your mount fitment, If you go to the Badger mount company site, and the Leupold company site, you should be able to find the exact specs that will work for your application. Good luck. You can always just measure and guestimate the best for what you would like. Don't forget to incorporate your cheekweld into consideration so your scope isn't too high or low.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top