Page / 28
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goloud:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/04/19/sig-sauer-wins-ngsw/

SIG Sauer Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract
View Quote

Figured they would, the Spear seems to be a well thought out design.

Congrats to the folks at Sig.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Great Job by the folks at Sig Sauer!

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:38:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jerz_subbie] [#3]
Great news! Hopefully that gives a boost to the civilian lineup, allowing for greater production scale and breadth. I’m verrrry interested in the Spear, for the right price.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The wailing and gnashing of teeth is epic.  

"We dumped the M14 for a reason!"

"Waaah, I wanted a bullpup!"

"Plastic ammo is the future!"

"Russians don't even wear body armor!"

"SIG cheated...again!"
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:18:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm hoping that this will extended to the recently announced MCX Gen 3.  I think it chambered in 6mm ARC would be a GREAT option for the replacement of the M4.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Somebody posted on Reddit that they think the Sig machine gun was the big dog in this fight.

And odds are they are correct.

The Sig machinegun was just dramatically better than the competitor for replacing the M249 in close combat units.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:
I'm hoping that this will extended to the recently announced MCX Gen 3.  I think it chambered in 6mm ARC would be a GREAT option for the replacement of the M4.
View Quote

A hybrid 5.56 case necked up to 6mm at 80k PSI would be spicy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/926753767

It looks like this kind of announcement is having an effect. You can get a nice pre 86 machine gun for the $40k they're asking.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been enjoying the shit out of the GD threads on this. And I had no clue the hard on that everyone had for the telescoping polymer ammo or whatever the hell it was that I don't think ever worked correctly.

If I were Joe Snuffy the rifleman, the first thing I'd be asking is if the stainless steel base is magnetic enough to be picked up by a bar magnet on wheels, just to make police call that much easier.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ikickhippies] [#11]
Have not seen this posted yet.

Army Officials Brief Award of Next Gen Weapons Contract

It's an hour long media roundtable with a Colonel and two Generals that were in charge of the project.

TL;DR:
They say that only Combat MOS / Close Combat Force will be getting these rifles. ~120k troops.
Non CCF will still have M4/M249.

If you have an hour to kill there are actually some good questions answered.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t see how Sig is going to have the commercial version of the MCX Spear or Raptor available for sometime. Sig will only care about the Government contract for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Cops66:
I don't see how Sig is going to have the commercial version of the MCX Spear or Raptor available for sometime. Sig will only care about the Government contract for awhile.
View Quote

According to SIG, it's happening this year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

According to SIG, it's happening this year.
View Quote

They might make a few commercial variants, but it will be years until supply catches up with demand. Like I said, the Government contract will be a priority.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]

They might make a few commercial variants, but it will be years until supply catches up with demand. Like I said, the Government contract will be a priority.
View Quote

Just a small anecdotal observation, for the last 10 months or so 15% of all the adds I see on my twitter are from Sig.  Not product adds, but help wanted adds for machinists and various other positions at the NH plant.  Perhaps they are expanding production capacity.

I don't know what Sig's production capacity is, and 120,000 Spear rifles is a lot.  According to one source I found S&W managed to pump out 396,710 Rifles in 2016.  The S&W factoid gives me some cautious optimism.

What do you think the civilian demand for the Spear will be?  I would imagine it would be equal to or greater than the demand for the Scar 17.  Does anyone know how many Scar 17s have been sold to US civilians?   Despite how many people might want a Spear, how many dudes are going to drop $3,500+ (that's just my speculative estimate) on one?  

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

QC rejects have to go somewhere
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lordhuck:

Just a small anecdotal observation, for the last 10 months or so 15% of all the adds I see on my twitter are from Sig.  Not product adds, but help wanted adds for machinists and various other positions at the NH plant.  Perhaps they are expanding production capacity.

I don't know what Sig's production capacity is, and 120,000 Spear rifles is a lot.  According to one source I found S&W managed to pump out 396,710 Rifles in 2016.  The S&W factoid gives me some cautious optimism.

What do you think the civilian demand for the Spear will be?  I would imagine it would be equal to or greater than the demand for the Scar 17.  Does anyone know how many Scar 17s have been sold to US civilians?   Despite how many people might want a Spear, how many dudes are going to drop $3,500+ (that's just my speculative estimate) on one?  

View Quote

120k is over 10 years. Not for at once delivery. If you watch the media roundtable video linked above you'll see that one of the officers over the program states that ammo, not rifles, will be the limiting factor. Put more simply- the Army doesn't want to get 100% of their commitment if they can't get the ammo manufacturers to produce enough ammo to support.

You can always reference the AMFER- this is the one from 2020 showing 2019 production.

in 2019 SIG reported:
692,326 handguns
22,204 "Rifles"

I used quotations in rifles- braced pistols are still considered handguns when it comes to ATF's archaic reporting. So MPX/ MCX/ Rattlers with barrel lengths less than 16 are lumped in with that 693k even though they would most probably be built on the same line as MPX/MCX/ M400's.

To answer your question about FN: 15,671 total production rifles were reported during 2019. This would be all commercial long guns that FN reported making- AR's & Scars.

ATF publishes these reports yearly, but there is a built in delay to attempt to protect industry secrets. So we should be able to see 2020 data hopefully later this year.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
@coregon

How many more SPEARs are necessary to become the president of the Official SPEAR Fan Club, and have you sell me an ALPHA4 Ultralight Mount so I can ditch the Geissele and Vortex for Sig Optics?

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Also here are some BCG comparison pictures, for those interested. Other BCG is from a 5.56 VIRTUS.

The lugs are beefy as hell and I'm all about it. Has anything been stated anywhere about the expected round count life of the Bolt using the full pressure Hybrid Cased stuff?

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Serious beef on those spear lugs, thats solid.  Congrats on being able to afford and source 2 of those bad boys lol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
The biggest questions I have on the platform at the moment, after playing around with them a bit is:

1. In multiple interviews, material science seems to be alluded to as a way to compensate for the increased pressure. I’m curious what these materials are. Is there a confirmed material for either the barrel or the bolt. Obviously Bartlein had been brought up on the barrel side. Is this using the MOD400BB or something else,
2.  What is the recommended zero for this round/rifle, and how does the disparity of the full brass and hybrid stuff play into that. Have a few cases of the FMJ on the way, still waiting on Hybrid stuff, so will definitely be breaking out the lab radar and testing all this and confirming at range.
3. Cohen stated in the interview everyone references that expected life of the barrel is 10K rounds. It’d be awesome to know what the firing schedule on that is, and the ratio of hybrid cases to full brass within that.

And finally, SIG way more than most seems to really have their Tan Anodizing dialed in. Why the hell wont they do an MCX in tanodize?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By narphenal:
The biggest questions I have on the platform at the moment, after playing around with them a bit is:

1. In multiple interviews, material science seems to be alluded to as a way to compensate for the increased pressure. I’m curious what these materials are. Is there a confirmed material for either the barrel or the bolt. Obviously Bartlein had been brought up on the barrel side. Is this using the MOD400BB or something else,
2.  What is the recommended zero for this round/rifle, and how does the disparity of the full brass and hybrid stuff play into that. Have a few cases of the FMJ on the way, still waiting on Hybrid stuff, so will definitely be breaking out the lab radar and testing all this and confirming at range.
3. Cohen stated in the interview everyone references that expected life of the barrel is 10K rounds. It’d be awesome to know what the firing schedule on that is, and the ratio of hybrid cases to full brass within that.

And finally, SIG way more than most seems to really have their Tan Anodizing dialed in. Why the hell wont they do an MCX in tanodize?
View Quote

Probably cost, parts rejection. You could probably also coat items that would otherwise be blems with cerakote and call it a day
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#23]
@coregon

How many more SPEARs are necessary to become the president of the Official SPEAR Fan Club, and have you sell me an ALPHA4 Ultralight Mount so I can ditch the Geissele and Vortex for Sig Optics?

https://i.imgur.com/nyMQTyl.jpg
View Quote

I know of someone with 5, so let me know when you get there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#24]
And here I am, slumming around with none!
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By coregon:

View Quote

Who is it,  Elon Musk?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The US Army’s new Service Rifle - The SIG SPEAR / NGSW XM5

NOOOOO, you can't just say the recoil impulse is nice!!!!

Haha, rifle shoot guud.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEf3ZlUkOCg

Haha, rifle shoot guud.
View Quote

The one thing that looks uncomfortable about that rifle is the handguard width. I mean it's not a huge deal but it looks chonky.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: narphenal] [#28]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@coregon

Hot damn, that guy sounds cool.

Out of curiosity are there any timelines for the Cross in .277? That’s what I’m really looking forward to.

Plus should correlate with ammo becoming more available.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Out of curiosity are there any timelines for the Cross in .277? That's what I'm really looking forward to.
View All Quotes
@coregon

Out of curiosity are there any timelines for the Cross in .277? That's what I'm really looking forward to.

Dude's got 2 Spears and he's already asking about other platforms. Sheesh!

When are regular production Spears showing up for the rest of us peasants?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: narphenal] [#30]

View All Quotes
@coregon

Just really wanting to start toying with the round.

Plus it should correlate to greater ammo availability.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#31]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEf3ZlUkOCg

Haha, rifle shoot guud.
View Quote

From what I've heard about Mike/Garand Thumb, the guy is/was a legit operator.  He handled the Spear recoil like a champ in the video.  The reports of the Spears massive recoil appear to be at least partially overblown.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Just really wanting to start toying with the round.

Plus it should correlate to greater ammo availability.
View Quote

Haha no I totally get it.

Just giving you shit.

I'm super jealous.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#33]

From what I've heard about Mike/Garand Thumb, the guy is/was a legit operator.  He handled the Spear recoil like a champ in the video.  The reports of the Spears massive recoil appear to be at least partially overblown.
View Quote

Yeah I mean I think the main video on how that myth appeared is that prototype rifle with Keymod being shot by that 1 smaller framed dude.
But even if it was super recoily....it's like all they gotta do is tune the gas a bit more. People were losing their shit over the recoil, just thought it was odd.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#34]
@coregon

View Quote

You really need Vortex to sell you a NGSW-FC
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Dolor:

Yeah I mean I think the main video on how that myth appeared is that prototype rifle with Keymod being shot by that 1 smaller framed dude.
But even if it was super recoily....it's like all they gotta do is tune the gas a bit more. People were losing their shit over the recoil, just thought it was odd.
View All Quotes

The pants-shitting hysteria over the recoil in GD is getting to be hilarious.  Granted:  It looks like he's shooting the all-brass .277.  I can't tell for sure.  A noodle-armed guy with chick lean and some chick with slightly less lean shoot the SPEAR and nearly fall over, while the other guy from Task and Purpose figures it out eventually.  Flannel Daddy shows us how it's done, and I think he's average size.  

If you take a shot every time someone in GD compares it to an M14, please leave me your MCX/SPEAR stuff in your will.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#36]
The pants-shitting hysteria over the recoil in GD is getting to be hilarious.  Granted:  It looks like he's shooting the all-brass .277.  I can't tell for sure.  A noodle-armed guy with chick lean and some chick with slightly less lean shoot the SPEAR and nearly fall over, while the other guy from Task and Purpose figures it out eventually.  Flannel Daddy shows us how it's done, and I think he's average size.  

If you take a shot every time someone in GD compares it to an M14, please leave me your MCX/SPEAR stuff in your will.  
View Quote

The amount of stupid people spewing bullshit on the internet is around this gun is already insane.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: narphenal] [#37]
Originally Posted By Apec:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Apec:
@coregon

Agreed.

I’d do it, 100%.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

These are the same people that think 308 is fine, and like there weren’t reasons for the change.

Heck, half the people are trying to compare .277 to intermediate cartridges.

The Spear, like any military requirement based weapon, is subject to a bunch of stupid criticism who can’t abstract enough to realize that it was built under certain requirements.

No one is saying that this is the best does it all rifle. But if my tax dollars are doing anything, I really don’t mind it opening the door for technological development in the firearms sector. It might be a failure as it pertains to the fighting doctrine the brass is trying to push, but it’s still a tool in the tool box.

People are resistant to change for both emotional reasons and a lack of foresight. These are the same people who get angry at SIG for introducing serious continual improvements on their platforms, and they are emboldened by their own conception that putting together an AR15 from parts thinks they can think at the level of a weapons manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:12:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#39]

View All Quotes
@coregon

This summer for both.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#40]

This summer for both.
View Quote

Hell yes, fingers crossed it’s not 8,000. Lol

Does anyone know of any other companies that will be pumping out ammo?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Are the mags plain ol' Lancer 7.62x51 mags? Just want to check before I order a couple .

Is there a technical reason that Lancer mags were paired with the NGSW/SPEAR?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
Are the mags plain ol' Lancer 7.62x51 mags? Just want to check before I order a couple .

View Quote

They look cooler and more high-tech than PMags?  Gotta impress the folks that write the checks.  That, and they're a bit more durable/reliable than PMags thanks to the metal inserts.  Not so much more durable they justify the much higher price though.

Lots of footage of folks using Pmags with the Spear now, including the GT video above.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Croak:

They look cooler and more high-tech than PMags?  Gotta impress the folks that write the checks.  That, and they're a bit more durable/reliable than PMags thanks to the metal inserts.  Not so much more durable they justify the much higher price though.

Lots of footage of folks using Pmags with the Spear now, including the GT video above.
View All Quotes

They do look cool hah.

Also, I'm probably a bit biased towards them since they're local to me - 5 mins from my front door.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Oh sick, I didn't even bother to look on GT's vid. Now to just wait for the MCT 7.62x51 mags

I am kind of on the fence about picking up any Lancer mags since they came in dead last in the USMC trials.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I got a Tele stock in today for one of my Rattlers, and got curious and decided to see if it'd even work.

To my surprise it did.

Obviously the geometry of the mating point doesn't exactly flow with the lines perfectly, but it functions.

Collapsed puts it about the same OAL as an 11.5" Virtus with traditional stock.

This summer for both.
View Quote

Awesome.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I got a Tele stock in today for one of my Rattlers, and got curious and decided to see if it'd even work.

To my surprise it did.

Obviously the geometry of the mating point doesn't exactly flow with the lines perfectly, but it functions.

Collapsed puts it about the same OAL as an 11.5" Virtus with traditional stock.

View Quote

Bro, that's going to rip your shoulder clean off.  I mean with all that massive recoil you're going to die.  And by massive, I mean internet experts watching one unskilled shooter could tell immediately that SIG and the Army and the entire MIC have no idea what they're doing by fielding this self-injurious and clearly inappropriate platform.  

The powers-that-be only spent the last few years testing out several of these suicide machines, and have no idea just how worthless they are in the real world, because that one Task & Purpose video clearly, clearly shows just how bad the Spear carbine performs in every situation and with every shooter.

/sarc
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Bro, that's going to rip your shoulder clean off.  I mean with all that massive recoil you're going to die.  And by massive, I mean internet experts watching one unskilled shooter could tell immediately that SIG and the Army and the entire MIC have no idea what they're doing by fielding this self-injurious and clearly inappropriate platform.  

The powers-that-be only spent the last few years testing out several of these suicide machines, and have no idea just how worthless they are in the real world, because that one Task & Purpose video clearly, clearly shows just how bad the Spear carbine performs in every situation and with every shooter.

/sarc
View Quote
I can't believe that he spent that money for something with a barrel life of less than 100 rounds!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I can't believe that he spent that money for something with a barrel life of less than 100 rounds!
View Quote

Right, and it's "exactly the same as an MCX". I mean you can get an MCX for under $2k...why would he spend $8k on it?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ikickhippies:
Have not seen this posted yet.

Army Officials Brief Award of Next Gen Weapons Contract

It's an hour long media roundtable with a Colonel and two Generals that were in charge of the project.

TL;DR:
They say that only Combat MOS / Close Combat Force will be getting these rifles. ~120k troops.
Non CCF will still have M4/M249.

If you have an hour to kill there are actually some good questions answered.
View Quote

Thant was actually a good watch..    My favorite part is that Lake city is not going to slow down making 5.56 and they are building a new factory to make 6.8
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:47:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#50]
Originally Posted By Blaster7R:

Thant was actually a good watch..    My favorite part is that Lake city is not going to slow down making 5.56 and they are building a new factory to make 6.8
View Quote
Some key points from that video.

- A new factory is being built at lake city army facility for a vendor to manufacture the new 6.8x51mm cartridges.
- 5.56 & 7.62x51 production will not be impacted any time soon.  If the new cartridge is adopted in mass then the 5.56 and 7.62x51 factories will redirect surplus to civilian market and keep the factories in buisness in case of war.
- The new rifle and new MG are only being bought for front line army troops.  Everyone else is keeping their m4 & m249.  So MAC can stop whining about replacing the m4 with an m14 derivative.  The m4 and m249 are going to be in service for a long damn time still.
- The generals giving the brief are being very cagey about questions that might open them to a lawsuit with the losing bids.
- The new next generation optic previously selected with rangefinder and ballistic computer looks like it was styled for a video game and the new optic will be fielded with the weapon and can be programmed for legacy m4 and m249.
- There is possibility of lake city producing 6.8x51mm ammunition for the civilian market in the distant future, think 2029 at earliest.

I wish the reporters asked about barrel life, if the suppressor is part of the contract, if the projectile provided by the army is similar to the 5.56 EAP bullet and what the weight of a standard combat load for 5he rifle and MG.

Page / 28
MCX Spear (Page 15 of 28)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top