Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 10:58:55 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy are you getting from your MPX with the 8" stock barrel?

Would you expect accuracy to diminish if you cut the barrel from 8 to 4.5?  The reason I am asking is because I am getting 2-2.5 (absolute best groups) after the cut and 4-4.5 suppressed with the same ammo.  This is done with a rest and 10X Leupold.

I didn't measure the groups before the cut, but they all seemed to be 1 inch or less.  All groups were measured from 25-30 yards.

So, what kind of groups do you get from the 8 inch barrel, and did your groups size change for those of you with cut barrels?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I had mine cut/crown/thread to 6", and then threaded on a Gemtech Multimount with direct thread. With 147 HST I am getting 1" at 25 yards with a red dot. That bullet is hitting right where I'm point it.
I haven't measured any further, but at 50 yards I hit a 4" swinger every single time with a trijicon MRO from standing.  
I consider mine to be INSANELY accurate.
The only other SBR in my arsenal that can compete is my 11.5" BCM with TREK-T using 50gr Fiocchi Varmint tipped, I'm getting about 1-2" at 50 yards with a red dot (never tried at 25 yards).

I'm going out tomorrow if you have any question I can try and answer? Ill chrono and do some slow shots at 25 and 50 for you? All I have for ammo is 147 HST, 124 HST+P, and Federal 147 9MS though? I usually do a 5 shot group for accuracy but I'll do whatever if you want?

I personally don't think cutting your barrel would effect accuracy, if it was done right. Might have to try different ammo/loads though then from before cutting it?

Personally I like short barrels, I even cut my 6.5 Creedmoor heavy barrel chassis rifle down to 16" and its still a 3/4 MOA gun all day. Barrel length should not effect accuracy at shorter distance, just velocity.

* Honestly I expected the MPX to be about 2-3" groups at 25 yards though, so...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:30:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think cutting the barrel would not impact accuracy much, except for the shooting position a short barrel will shift you to. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top