Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2017 10:43:07 AM EDT
I have a Sig 556R Gen 2 rifle in 7.62X39.  It has the standard Swiss handguard on it now, but I would like to put a rail on it.   It appears that Troy discontinued their rail a few years ago, so I am looking at the Samson rail with the one piece picatinny rail.

Does anyone have one?   If so, what are your thoughts on it?  How is the fit and functionality?  Easy to take apart to clean, etc?

I know the Swiss handguard can have a few rail sections screwed on to it, but I really like the looks of an aluminum quad rail on that rifle.  I figured I should get one for my birthday before they also get discontinued.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Sig 556R Gen 2 rifle in 7.62X39.  It has the standard Swiss handguard on it now, but I would like to put a rail on it.   It appears that Troy discontinued their rail a few years ago, so I am looking at the Samson rail with the one piece picatinny rail.

Does anyone have one?   If so, what are your thoughts on it?  How is the fit and functionality?  Easy to take apart to clean, etc?

I know the Swiss handguard can have a few rail sections screwed on to it, but I really like the looks of an aluminum quad rail on that rifle.  I figured I should get one for my birthday before they also get discontinued.
View Quote

I had Samson quad rail on a 556 and it made it even more noticeably front-end heavy.  IMO you are better off sticking with the plastic swiss-style handguards.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had Samson quad rail on a 556 and it made it even more noticeably front-end heavy.  IMO you are better off sticking with the plastic swiss-style handguards.
View Quote
My sentiments exactly. The railed fore end is a must on the 552/553, 556 pistol/sbr, 556 patrol, and 551a1 sbr. On the 551 length guns (551, 556, 556R, etc) the railed fore end really makes for a front heavy rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:02:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My sentiments exactly. The railed fore end is a must on the 552/553, 556 pistol/sbr, 556 patrol, and 551a1 sbr. On the 551 length guns (551, 556, 556R, etc) the railed fore end really makes for a front heavy rifle.
View Quote
Have to agree on the 551 thing. All of the railed forends are heavy. I put a B&T railed unit on my 553 and while I loved the look, I hated the way it handled and eventually sold it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep
Gave up on making my sigs, both swiss and american, tactical. Wanted to add surefire and peqs but man they get heavy even just with rails alone. Tried the surefire integrated forearms and those were heavy as well. Just put an aimpoint micro and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Have to agree on the 551 thing. All of the railed forends are heavy. I put a B&T railed unit on my 553 and while I loved the look, I hated the way it handled and eventually sold it.
View Quote
Uh, you know you're supposed to contact me before you sell such things. ;)
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Uh, you know you're supposed to contact me before you sell such things. ;)
View Quote
I sold the rail not the 553 but I consider myself properly chastised..
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got mine setup as a DMR - Troy rail, scope, DDLES buffer adapter, Houge Grip, Magpul MOE SL stock. Too heavy for anything else. Got a lightweight 14.5 Spikes lightweight for home defense. Everyone that shoots the 556R, loves it. I call it "thumper", sounds awesome with Kaw Valley Linear comp. Wish I knew how to post pics?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 556 that I bought used with a Samson quad rail.Yeah,it is front heavy,but steady as a rock when rapid firing.I like it just like it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top