Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 2:08:21 PM EDT
To preface this, I own many Sig Rifles.  I have a Sig 556R Gen 2, an MPX carbine, and two MPX pistols (8" and 4.5" barrels).   So I do love their guns.

However, I have been burned many times with their older accessories, so I don't trust the new optic line they have come out with.  The old red dots that came with the 556 series rifles were horrible cheap optics that all died on me after a dozen range sessions.  

With the new Romeo series, they are still Chinese made optics, have no aftermarket mounts for them, and are priced only $100-150 less than a Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint PRO.  Sig also introduced scopes, as well as a thermal sight in the last year and I don't see any federal or state and local agencies using them.

For those that have them, what made you pick a Sig optic over a battle proven brand?   Is it just price?   Sig's warrant on red dots is only 5 years, and lifetime on non electric optics, so that is in line with Aimpoints.  

I want to like the new optic line, but won't trust them until I can see them take a beating or see how they hold up over a few years from people that have one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig Accessories = Garbage IMHO. I absolutely wouldn't trust anything made under license for them. Actually, the poor experiences I had with their cheapo red dot and lights made me rethink Sig products overall. I no longer own anything by them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Their Rangefinders are pretty dang good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. Really like my Kilo 2000.  I think they did a decent job on their recent line of optics and are much better quality than their old gear.  I've got a Tango4 1-4 I traded for, but I don't have many rounds through it yet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The FBI does apparently.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
This is true, however the Romeo 4M model is $500 to civilians!  That is the same price as a Trijicon MRO with mount when on sale.   I got my MRO with a tall mount on Amazon for $520.  

I am sure the FBI buys so many they get them for a great price, similar to how the military gets CompM4s for near half price.  

Quoted:
The FBI does apparently.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I trust my Romeo 4s as much as I trust my Holosuns
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Their optics are made/produced/designed by former Leupold employees. Rumor on the street: They have or will be putting in a plant just down the street from Leupold.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sig Accessories = Garbage IMHO. I absolutely wouldn't trust anything made under license for them. Actually, the poor experiences I had with their cheapo red dot and lights made me rethink Sig products overall. I no longer own anything by them.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Romeo 3 on my MPX, and it's pretty nice.  This model is made in Japan.

I doubt it will be anywhere near as durable as an Aimpoint, but I wanted a reflex style sight for my MPX.  I liked the larger lens on this one vs the RMR, and I caught it on sale.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't find any proof of their optics being made by former Leupold employees.   Where did you see that?

Leupold competes in the red dot and tactical scope market, so I am sure they would issue non-competes if that were true.  

Quoted:
Their optics are made/produced/designed by former Leupold employees. Rumor on the street: They have or will be putting in a plant just down the street from Leupold.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can't find any proof of their optics being made by former Leupold employees.   Where did you see that?

Leupold competes in the red dot and tactical scope market, so I am sure they would issue non-competes if that were true.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I didn't need to look online for it. Notice what state I live in and what state Sig is in. Draw your own cocnclusions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is true, however the Romeo 4M model is $500 to civilians!  That is the same price as a Trijicon MRO with mount when on sale.   I got my MRO with a tall mount on Amazon for $520.  

I am sure the FBI buys so many they get them for a great price, similar to how the military gets CompM4s for near half price.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The FBI does apparently.
The MRO is an amazing optic, but the Sig 4M does have a circle dot.

Basically it is between MRO and T2 pricing.

Kind of kills Eotech as well.

That being said, that is the only Sig optic I'd probably use for Duty.

For my own rifle I ditched the Holosuns and ordered an aimpoint pro. (About tree fitty before shipping)
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I could run over to the area tomorrow and see if anything new is going up.

I live basically, right there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm the opposite of the OP - SIG's handling of their recent guns soured me on all their products, so I won't touch their optics despite the seemingly good reviews they get. Agree they're priced as if they had a real pedigree - which they don't.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I can see that.   Most gun companies let a certain model of gun sell for a few years before introducing a new model or any newer generations of it.   But Sig seems to want to react to market feedback too fast and discontinues models of their firearms very quickly to get the newer version of the gun out to the masses.    However, while the guns are fairly available, the accessories are always backordered or non-existent (barrels, caliber kits, etc).  

What Sig should do is release their parts specs to third parties and allow them all to create handguards, magazines, and accessories fast and effectively to keep the platform new and interesting.   The base gun should have little changes for backwards compatibility, but have lots of aftermarket parts ready to go when the gun is released.   Think of the AR-15.   It took decades to make any significant changes to the platform (pistons, ambi-controls, flared magwells, etc.   But the aftermarket parts (braces, stocks, handguards, etc) keep the platform exciting and allows endless customization.  

Sig just needs to slow down on replacing older versions of their guns, and keep them around longer.

Quoted:
I'm the opposite of the OP - SIG's handling of their recent guns soured me on all their products, so I won't touch their optics despite the seemingly good reviews they get. Agree they're priced as if they had a real pedigree - which they don't.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
i ran a few thousands rounds through the romeo 5 and 7 as well as the tango 4. the romeo 7 feels weird and sits goofy. The romeo 5 is fantastic so is the tango 4. I reviewed them for my company is how i got them. That being said for the average shooter looking for 1-4 ish optics its hard to beat the primary arms gen 3. and it'd much cheaper. sorry if this sounds terrible.typing with hand incase is tough..
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have the kilo2000 and it has been spot on. I haven't seen anything close at the price point that I like better
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm only a few hundred rounds into a Romeo 5, which is basically a holosun.  So far so good, same as another Holosun I have.  Didn't expect aimpoint quality for $150, but it's been reliable and held zero so far.   If someone put a Romeo 4 and a T1 micro in front of me and said choose, we'll that's going to be Aimpoint all day long and twice on Sunday, mainly because they have an impeccable track record and I've never had one let me down.  I heard the Romeo 4 and the T1 placed the same in the FBI tests so they can buy either.  It's going to take me a little while to have that much faith or percieved value in the Sig optics line to choose one over an Aimpoint.  They have hired alot of people from other companies, hopefully quality and especially asthetics improve as time goes on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
If you search for review of the Romeo 5 on youtube, one reviewer put it up to similar tests conducted on the Aimpoint T1/T2 (Water, Drop, Freezing, etc etc)...he even shot it with a 12 ga. from about 10 feet...same unit through the entire process, still functioned and HELD ZERO at the end of the review...For a $150 that caught my attention and I ordered one.

I own several Aimpoints, several Holosuns, a EOTech 553...I'll be comparing it to these once I have a decent round count under it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Customs and Border Protection has recently added the Romeo 4M to its authorized equipment list and has a couple hundred in use.

Between CBP and FBI it should be just a short time before any issues arise if there's going to be anything seriously flawed with the M series optic.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Do their high-end Tango6 scopes count?
I just picked up a 3-18 gen1 for a ridiculously low price ($650) and it is amazing glass.  Every review I've seen has been positive.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same.  Which is a shame since their newest 3-18 and 4-24 scopes look interesting, but at the same price point of Bushnell & Vortex top of the line offerings there is no way I'm taking a chance on them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Same.  Which is a shame since their newest 3-18 and 4-24 scopes look interesting, but at the same price point of Bushnell & Vortex top of the line offerings there is no way I'm taking a chance on them.
View Quote
Keep your eyes open on places like DVOR, that's where I got mine (see my post above).  I've been impressed so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top