BCM
User Panel

Sig MCX Virtus (Page 2 of 69)
Page / 69
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By XeroSasEnchros:

It's kinda irritating especially if the older model just gets discontinued and no support.
View Quote
New to Sig Sauer huh?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Doug_262:

New to Sig Sauer huh?
View Quote
They must have a hell of a database system to keep track of all these parts for all these generations of guns. 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Gen 3 it is.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
I called Sig CS yesterday and asked about the Virtus.

They said it should be shipping in about a month and that it does in fact represent the new generation.
View Quote
I was incredibly tempted last week by one of the MCX 9" 300 blk 'Snakebite'' pistols in stock at a local shop.  You wouldn't believe the willpower it took for me to walk away, and I experienced some regret at passing on it.  Now I'm glad I walked away as I wonder if those limited edition overpriced "Snakebite" models are just a way to clear out old parts before the next generation is released.  

Sig's problem with generational changes in their rifles is out of control.  I wonder if it's intentional for some reason I can't comprehend.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LarryLove:

I was incredibly tempted last week by one of the MCX 9" 300 blk 'Snakebite'' pistols in stock at a local shop.  You wouldn't believe the willpower it took for me to walk away, and I experienced some regret at passing on it.  Now I'm glad I walked away as I wonder if those limited edition overpriced "Snakebite" models are just a way to clear out old parts before the next generation is released.  

Sig's problem with generational changes in their rifles is out of control.  I wonder if it's intentional for some reason I can't comprehend.
View Quote
I think their changes are stemming from real world use in the field and they're trying to rapidly improve upon the suggestions of those using their products operationally to keep the customer who has substantial contracts with them happy and coming back for more. Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I re-watched the features and benefits video.  The features and points he goes over in that video are the following
1. Side folding stock
2. Lancer magazine
3. ambi charging handle (the newer version)
4. Their new trigger (mentions twice)
5. Mentions multical
6. Heavy barrel
7. mlok rail

In that video the guy giving the presentation discusses how this is the perfect rifle and really focuses on the trigger.  I would like sig to discuss what actual changes have been made to the core of the system and what generation we are at now.  I would like to know the parts compatibility with the models that most of us now have.  This video seemed liked it catered to people that never heard of the MCX.  
Have they changed the gas block and the amount of settings used? Is the bcg the same one that was swapped out in the recall or did they change it again.  The rail is obviously different and as other posters have pointed out I don't think is compatible with the models out now.  Can a virtus upper be put on a "older" lower and a "older" upper be put on a virtus lower?
Making "better" changes is awesome and most newer modern rifles do go through generational changes which I get.  The thing that will suck for all of us current owners is if the changes made don't allow most of the parts to be interchangeable.  I would like to get a sbr mcx but if the virtus is so different from the mcx that I currently own then I will pass.  Based on sigs record of pumping out new rifles and not supporting them then moving on to new rifles.  The biggest concern I have now is are the changes to the virtus drastic enough that the current MCX version is now a legacy model.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:15:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: willi3d] [#7]
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:
I re-watched the features and benefits video.  The features and points he goes over in that video are the following
1. Side folding stock
2. Lancer magazine
3. ambi charging handle (the newer version)
4. Their new trigger (mentions twice)
5. Mentions multical
6. Heavy barrel
7. mlok rail

In that video the guy giving the presentation discusses how this is the perfect rifle and really focuses on the trigger.  I would like sig to discuss what actual changes have been made to the core of the system and what generation we are at now.  I would like to know the parts compatibility with the models that most of us now have.  This video seemed liked it catered to people that never heard of the MCX.  
Have they changed the gas block and the amount of settings used? Is the bcg the same one that was swapped out in the recall or did they change it again.  The rail is obviously different and as other posters have pointed out I don't think is compatible with the models out now.  Can a virtus upper be put on a "older" lower and a "older" upper be put on a virtus lower?
Making "better" changes is awesome and most newer modern rifles do go through generational changes which I get.  The thing that will suck for all of us current owners is if the changes made don't allow most of the parts to be interchangeable.  I would like to get a sbr mcx but if the virtus is so different from the mcx that I currently own then I will pass.  Based on sigs record of pumping out new rifles and not supporting them then moving on to new rifles.  The biggest concern I have now is are the changes to the virtus drastic enough that the current MCX version is now a legacy model.
View Quote
To be honest, I think most of the changes are cosmetic.  It's got the same stocks as the original MCX, the fact that it comes with a Lancer mag instead of a Magpul mag really isn't a selling point, you could get the newer charging handle and better trigger for the old MCX, and the old MCX is multicaliber too.  Like with the original, how "multical" the Virtus actually is depends on whenever Sig gets around to making caliber kits for it.  About the only thing really new is the shorter top rail, which I presume is mostly to make it easier to remove the gas plug for cleaning, and that the barrel is now heavier.  The M-lok rail is nice, but you can now get one for the original MCX from Midwest Industries.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:08:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#8]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

To be honest, I think most of the changes are cosmetic.  It's got the same stocks as the original MCX, the fact that it comes with a Lancer mag instead of a Magpul mag really isn't a selling point, you could get the newer charging handle and better trigger for the old MCX, and the old MCX is multicaliber too.  Like with the original, how "multical" the Virtus actually is depends on whenever Sig gets around to making caliber kits for it.  About the only thing really new is the shorter top rail, which I presume is mostly to make it easier to remove the gas plug for cleaning, and that the barrel is now heavier.  The M-lok rail is nice, but you can now get one for the original MCX from Midwest Industries.
View Quote
Tbh I laughed a little when they promoted the "folding stock" and multi cal as key features.
Next gen 4 will have a interchangeable pistol grip and a full length pic rail on top to mount optics.
Should be released in Sept some time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

View Quote
I called sig the other day about the new charging handle. They are not selling it separately. 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
looks really cool.

Am i reading the advertising right that it is guaranteed to not need parts replacements for at least 20K rounds?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:
looks really cool.

Am i reading the advertising right that it is guaranteed to not need parts replacements for at least 20K rounds?
View Quote
I'd be very surprised if that's an actual guarantee that you could make a claim against.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]Originally Posted By LarryLove:[/

View Quote
It would t be a problem if they still actually supported the older models.
But they don't.  But maybe that's intentional.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Agree with another post, wish this was a match grade accurate MCX. I would love to get a match grade accuracy barrel for my MCX's.
That and one of the fully adjustable folding stocks shown on the MCX – MRs.
It looks like there's still one rifle yet to be revealed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a DMR style MCX with the adjustable stock.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I've not been impressed with my MCX experience when compared with my other AR's. Bolt issues, trigger issues and no line of sight on parts while they move forward with the product line.

I didnt do much research on their track record for rifle support. This forum seems to think it's not very good. There appears to be a pattern of abandoning support for rifles.

I was really excited when I purchased my MCX (SBR'd it) and MPX. The MCX doesn't see much time anymore as I enjoy my other AR's quite a bit more and dont worry about replacement parts. I don't think I would buy another MCX.

Just one opinion of many though and I'm stoked for those of you that enjoy the line and support the MCX.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#15]
These evolutionary changes are understandable and important to the MCX as a platform and we've probably not seen the last of them yet.

It makes sense to standardize on one upper receiver and top rail length across the rifle and pistol platforms if that's where SIG is headed. Why have two different uppers when modularity is the name of the game? And I welcome the ability to change gas settings with a finger or maybe a big screwdriver. The current adjustment is ridiculous being hidden away and inaccessible like it is. It is also harder than it should be to access the adjustment to disassemble the gas piston for cleaning and inspection.

On the downside it stinks to be an early adopter and be tied to a rifle that's a generation or two behind.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Anybody find out from Sig if older barrel assemblies are still compatible? If 5.56 gas system is different wonder if 300blk is the same still?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#17]
watch the review Military Arms Channel did.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PolishX:
watch the review Military Arms Channel did.
View Quote
I don't see any reviews of the MCX Virtus - only the reviews of the original MCX and those are a year old.

Are you saying there is a video that has ANY bearing on this discussion?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm interested in what this means in terms of LVAW, both because Sig has been saying (yeah, I know, I know, they say lots of things ) that components would be widely released commercially, and what it means in terms of the LVAW as a system in general. i.e., will Sig need to continue to support the "legacy" MCX in order to support existing LVAWs? Will the LVAW be "updated" to the Virtus pattern? Or has the LVAW been dropped in some capacity that no longer requires it to be supported (either divestiture, or simply being used until they break, but not fixed)?

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#20]
So would you suggest someone looking for a "premium" factory built 5.56 rifle to pick up a now obsolete MCX Patrol or nah?  I'm guessing I could probably get one for around $1500, maybe a little less.  I'm considering upgrading from an Zastava M90 as my eyes suck too much for AK style sights on my main gun, AR style guns have more versatile optics options and are lighter.  One of many options on the table right now, just trying to eliminate some or at least figure up a specific direction to go.  Gun is gonna be a go to and get shot a lot alongside my home built SBR which I'm waiting on the stamp for.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cipherk98:
So would you suggest someone looking for a "premium" factory built 5.56 rifle to pick up a now obsolete MCX Patrol or nah?  I'm guessing I could probably get one for around $1500, maybe a little less.  I'm considering upgrading from an Zastava M90 as my eyes suck too much for AK style sights on my main gun, AR style guns have more versatile optics options and are lighter.  One of many options on the table right now, just trying to eliminate some or at least figure up a specific direction to go.  Gun is gonna be a go to and get shot a lot alongside my home built SBR which I'm waiting on the stamp for.
View Quote
After looking at pictures of it up close, it looks like a more refined upper.. the lower is the same and it looks like the gas system is compatible with the "older" op rod so barrels should be compatible. 

The only thing i can see that won't work is the hand guard and frankly, I like the Midwest mlok better. 
I say get one and then later if you want or need, get the virtus upper. 
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd be extremely wary about buying a new Sig rifle. I've got a 556 Classic. They dropped those and went to the 556xi. When those disappeared, the MCX appeared. Now a new one is introduced.....is Sig about to dump the MCX??
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#23]
looks really cool.

View Quote
Or until they discontinue support for the platform next year...whichever comes first
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Firecop203:
I'd be extremely wary about buying a new Sig rifle. I've got a 556 Classic. They dropped those and went to the 556xi. When those disappeared, the MCX appeared. Now a new one is introduced.....is Sig about to dump the MCX??
View Quote
I also have a 556 SWAT, and early one that runs and runs. I got a good one. But SIG has dropper support for that platform.

Now the MCX in it's latest flavor is what a gen 3 gun. Will support be dropped for the earlier generations?

I love their Classic series pistols, as I;m considered a Sigaholic, but the never ending generations on their MPX/MCX series keeps me on the sideline.

Sig's marketing decisions must be based on a dart board, never hitting the bullseye.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By snakeman48:

I also have a 556 SWAT, and early one that runs and runs. I got a good one. But SIG has dropper support for that platform.

Now the MCX in it's latest flavor is what a gen 3 gun. Will support be dropped for the earlier generations?

I love their Classic series pistols, as I;m considered a Sigaholic, but the never ending generations on their MPX/MCX series keeps me on the sideline.

Sig's marketing decisions must be based on a dart board, never hitting the bullseye.
View Quote
Sig has got to know their constantly shifting models is hurting sales.. unless they're counting on a massive gov contract for the MCX? But I don't see that happening..

i know several teams are running them as a test, or at least they were this time last year. But I can't see it becoming the primary carbine of choice for big army. 

With that sad, the consumer market is their bread and butter for that platform and your view has been echoed all over the place. 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Sig has got to know their constantly shifting models is hurting sales.. unless they're counting on a massive gov contract for the MCX? But I don't see that happening..

i know several teams are running them as a test, or at least they were this time last year. But I can't see it becoming the primary carbine of choice for big army. 

With that sad, the consumer market is their bread and butter for that platform and your view has been echoed all over the place. 
View Quote
Well, the Virtus seems like they are moving towards a design optimized for the PDW contract. Once they land a .gov contract, they'll have to be in it for the long haul to support the delivered platform.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I called Sig today, the trigger they put in the MCX during the recall is their "match" trigger that's in the virtus. 
View Quote
It's a pretty good trigger, Geissele SSAE ish feel.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Easttnplinker:

It's a pretty good trigger, Geissele SSAE ish feel.
View Quote
I was under the impression at first that's what they were putting in it during the recall. 
But it is a good trigger. 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Spoke to Sig CS today, so the short of it is according to them a current upper can be put on a virtus lower and a virtus lower can have a current upper put on it.  The thing I was told that was new to me is that the virtus is shipping with a different bolt which cannot be used in a older version mcx.  Also you can not use a current mcx bolt with a virtus upper.  He stated lug geometry being the main reason that they wont work together, but he did say the carrier is the newer carrier that was used during the carrier replacement.  I don't know if the firing pin and cam pin are the same.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#30]
So you are saying a current lower can't have a virtus upper? That's what's most of us with sbr lowers care about.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cipherk98:
View Quote
If you hunt for a sale you could probably get one for $1000-$1200 sometime soon.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kgknight1037] [#32]
Originally Posted By AKDoc:
So you are saying a current lower can't have a virtus upper? That's what's most of us with sbr lowers care about.
View Quote
The rep said you can, and I asked that twice to be sure.  The virtus lower is the same lower in the original except it has a new trigger.  So we can use a virtus upper on our lowers etc.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AKDoc:
View Quote
Yeah that's what I want to know. My SBR lower...

although buying a whole upper defeats the purpose of the mcx to begin with 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:

If you hunt for a sale you could probably get one for $1000-$1200 sometime soon.
View Quote
A local shop deals a lot in high end ARs/AR style rifles and there is one they've been sitting on one for awhile.  I think another shop with rentals has one so I may go get some trigger time on it along with some other considerations (Galil, few bullpups, among others).  It's certainly in the running as I'm leaning towards not wanting another AR as my SBR is going to be very nice once it's finished and that gun is being built right.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:29:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#35]
Originally Posted By snakeman48:

View Quote
Sure seems that way.  The Virtus 300 Blk SBR has my attention, but I've yet to convince myself to buy a Sig rifle with all the Gen 1, Gen 2 nonsense.

Seems like once you start seeing real world feedback on a current model a new and improved model is released.

I still want a rifle with a folding stock though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:41:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SemperGumbi] [#36]
OK the only thing staying the same is the lower. MCX Virtus uppers will fit on old MCX lowers, but the barrels, bolts, and hand guards are not compatible with old MCX uppers. The Virtus is completely replacing the old MCX. Sig is calling it the Gen 2 MCX. Sig says they will keep making parts for the Gen 1, but we all know how that goes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By E4W:
OK the only thing staying the same is the lower. MCX Virtus uppers will fit on old MCX lowers, but the barrels, bolts, and hand guards are not compatible with old MCX uppers. The Virtus is completely replacing the old MCX. Sig is calling it the Gen 2 MCX. Sig says they will keep making parts for the Gen 1, but we all know how that goes.
View Quote
Fool me once (MPX), fool me twice (MCX) I suppose I should stock up on some replacement parts but Sig won't sell them?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By E4W:
View Quote
Sig CS told me the new barrels work in old mcx uppers you just need the tapered bolt, which will come with the barrel. The handguards I was told definitely won't fit. The new bolt carrier from the recall is the Virtus' bolt carrier. But the bolts themselves are different.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

Sig CS told me the new barrels work in old mcx uppers you just need the tapered bolt, which will come with the barrel. The handguards I was told definitely won't fit. The new bolt carrier from the recall is the Virtus' bolt carrier. But the bolts themselves are different.
View Quote
So will the new bolts work with the old barrels?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#40]
So will the new bolts work with the old barrels?
View Quote
The way I understood it was that the new barrels work with the new bolts and the old barrels work with the old bolts. I have an older MCX with the upgrade done. He said if I buy a barrel now when it ships it will be the new barrel and it will come with a new bolt. The carrier doesn't need to change though.

So to answer your question. I don't know, but I don't think so.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

The way I understood it was that the new barrels work with the new bolts and the old barrels work with the old bolts. I have an older MCX with the upgrade done. He said if I buy a barrel now when it ships it will be the new barrel and it will come with a new bolt. The carrier doesn't need to change though.

So to answer your question. I don't know, but I don't think so.
View Quote
Well, Thats clear as mud

Sig is gonna be drowning in different parts for each config 
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#42]
Attachment Attached File

EDIT: NOT REAL, sarcasm alert!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice. Sign me up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Ha. Nice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#45]
You may want to wait. They have a new version of the MCX coming. And this time it's "the final chapter", whatever that means.

Attachment Attached File

Could be a MPX virtus though. Not sure.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I know there's SIG reps on this board--why can't you guys simply release information to quell all of the concerns that folks have? The uncertainty of the spare parts available to MCX owners for one, what fits what, etc. verses the piece meal of this rep told me this, etc., etc.

While I'm standing by the MCX platform, I simply don't trust SiG right now to provide support for it. I simply want to collect some spare bolt carriage sub parts in the event I need them. Every time I call, same shit, soon, starting to sound like Desert Tech MDR bullshit.

That's ok, hear Law Tactical is coming out with a new system to add to the folder which allows firing with stock folded-multiple, as in as many as you would like to fire without opening the stock. That means a new carrier, etc.

I guess we will see. SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT SIG! Instead of cool pics--sell some f'ing parts
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:46:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Is that seriously for real?  Sig is actually calling you the Beta Testers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Doug_262:
Is that seriously for real?  Sig is actually calling you the Beta Testers.
View Quote
No. It was posted to a FB group I belong too.
People are just frustrated with SIG doing this every few years.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
You may want to wait. They have a new version of the MCX coming. And this time it's "the final chapter", whatever that means.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/418820/final-255754.JPG

Could be a MPX virtus though. Not sure.
View Quote
LOL.  Just wow.  It's like they're clueless on what their doing to current owners.  Maybe they don't care about repeat business.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#50]
looks really cool.

View Quote
which is good if they are going to keep upgrading models and dropping support for old ones.

I'm trying to decide if I sell my MCX and get the upgrade to stay current? Or is this a wasted effort with Sig and they'll just do the same thing?

Are they managed by the same people as KTM? Cause this is what KTM does too....
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 2 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top