BCM
User Panel

Sig MCX Virtus (Page 14 of 69)
Page / 69
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coregon:

Yes - Rattler = Virtus, in terms of generation.

The only "issue" you'll run into will be with the hand guards.  You'll have to use a standard handguard, if using a Rattler barrel in your Virtus upper - or a Rattler handguard if using a 9" barrel in your Rattler upper.  In either case, the gas block may/may not line up with the windows on the rails.
View Quote
@coregon -- You seem to possibly know the answer to my question...

I just purchased the 6.75"BO barrel for my Virtus and now I'm in a situation where the shortest hand-guard that Sig makes (8" PDW) is still too long... very odd to me...

My question is - Can I just purchase the Rattler hand-guard and throw that on my Virtus and be good to go or would the windows not line up? (I can't even find the Rattler hand-guard for sale anywhere).

Thanks for the input man!
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#2]
Originally Posted By One_Mile_Up:

I just purchased the 6.75"BO barrel for my Virtus and now I'm in a situation where the shortest hand-guard that Sig makes (8" PDW) is still too long... very odd to me...

My question is - Can I just purchase the Rattler hand-guard and throw that on my Virtus and be good to go or would the windows not line up? (I can't even find the Rattler hand-guard for sale anywhere).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes - Rattler = Virtus, in terms of generation.

The only "issue" you'll run into will be with the hand guards.  You'll have to use a standard handguard, if using a Rattler barrel in your Virtus upper - or a Rattler handguard if using a 9" barrel in your Rattler upper.  In either case, the gas block may/may not line up with the windows on the rails.

Rattler handguard hasn’t been offered for sale individually.  So, that’s why you can’t find it.

The only thing not compatible between Virtus & Rattler are the handguards.  So, Rattler handguard won’t work on your Virtus (reason being, the top rail of the Rattler upper/chassis is shorter than that of the Virtus)
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:44:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: One_Mile_Up] [#3]
Ah, OK. Well that sucks... IMO a silly decision on Sig's part to change the design of the Rattler just enough so that the Virtus hand-guards won't fit... I went ahead and just purchased the MI 6in hand-guard instead. Thanks for getting back to me bro.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#4]
Ah, OK. Well that sucks... IMO a silly decision on Sig's part to change the design of the Rattler just enough so that the Virtus hand-guards won't fit... I went ahead and just purchased the MI 6in hand-guard instead. Thanks for getting back to me bro.
View Quote
The Rattler was a solicitation from a SMU - they requested/required the compactness with their criteria.  We just offer the Rattler on the commercial market in the same configuration as their solicitation mandated.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:20:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#6]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Their solicitation mandated it be offered commercially?
View All Quotes

The Rattler was a solicitation from a SMU - they requested/required the compactness with their criteria.  We just offer the Rattler on the commercial market as their solicitation mandated.
Their solicitation mandated it be offered commercially?
Fixed
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Ok. That makes more sense.

I think occasional limited runs of the LVAW would sell on the commercial market as well just saying.
View Quote
Isn't that what the SUR300 was supposed to be? Where are we with that?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone seen this in person yet? All black 6.75" Canebrake Talo Exclusive. @coregon

Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
View All Quotes

I think occasional limited runs of the LVAW would sell on the commercial market as well just saying.
SUR300 is in the price list in 2019.

I believe they have already started F3.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By blackofwhite:
Anyone seen this in person yet? All black 6.75" Canebrake Talo Exclusive. @coregon

https://i.imgur.com/jinSPn9.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, a TALO distribution exclusive.  Same gun, just black instead of 2-tone Black/Tan.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CaribouLou45] [#12]

Yeah, a TALO distribution exclusive.  Same gun, just black instead of 2-tone Black/Tan.
View Quote
You sure? Looks to me a 9" barrel virtus? Different handguard, forward assist

Gotta say I saw a Canebrake and was disappointed. The handguard is super duper thicc. Wish they kept the oval low and then had a gas/piston channel at top to keep the feel thin
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CaribouLou45:

Gotta say I saw a Canebrake and was disappointed. The handguard is super duper thicc. Wish they kept the oval low and then had a gas/piston channel at top to keep the feel thin
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CaribouLou45:

Looking at the pic while NOT on my phone, you're right.  This isn't a pic of a Canebrake.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

There is one on Gunbroker now, but I still wish it was offered as a complete rifle option for those of us who would like a second MCX without having to swap uppers. Or maybe complete MCX lowers someday?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mdavis:
There is one on Gunbroker now, but I still wish it was offered as a complete rifle option for those of us who would like a second MCX without having to swap uppers. Or maybe complete MCX lowers someday?
View All Quotes

That TALO exclusive basically looks like a SUR300 pistol that's not pinned. Fake can I assume?

Link to Lipseys
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Coregon will the BCM PNT trigger work in an MCX rifle?

What about the ALG ACT trigger? Thanks!

@coregon
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
That TALO exclusive basically looks like a SUR300 pistol that's not pinned. Fake can I assume?

Link to Lipseys
View All Quotes

Link to Lipseys
Yeah - its a 6.75" barrel, so not a Canebrake.  Yes, fake can.  The pic is a little wonky-looking, though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By E4W:
Coregon will the BCM PNT trigger work in an MCX rifle?

What about the ALG ACT trigger? Thanks!

@coregon
View Quote
I dont have any experience with either of those triggers, unfortunately.

Check with the manufacturers - the issue with most triggers is that they'll break and the manufacturer won't warranty.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an ALG that I use with my mcx upper just fine.

What part is it that breaks again?  The trigger pin?  Isn't there a part to swap out from the duo match set that resolves the issue?
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the MCX Noctis sold by Cabelas/BassPro the same as the Virtus? The look identical from the website with the Noctis claiming to be an exclusive.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
Is the MCX Noctis sold by Cabelas/BassPro the same as the Virtus? The look identical from the website with the Noctis claiming to be an exclusive.
View Quote
The color is black, I don't think any other Virtus is offered that way except the conversation kits.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#22]

The color is black, I don't think any other Virtus is offered that way except the conversation kits.
View Quote
I think the Virtus sold for LE is black.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 8:37:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilasB] [#23]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

I think the Virtus sold for LE [First Responders] is black.
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Same rifle, just black.  "Exclusive" meaning only Bass Pro/Cabela's will sell them (initially, anyways).  Lots of products start out as exclusives for (insert distributor, box account, dealer, etc here).
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Same rifle, just black.  "Exclusive" meaning only Bass Pro/Cabela's will sell them (initially, anyways).  Lots of products start out as exclusives for (insert distributor, box account, dealer, etc here).
View Quote
Does the Virtus come with sights? They didn't when I got mine.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#26]
@coregon

Will the 14" Virtus barrels be available to civilians?
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Does the Virtus come with sights? They didn't when I got mine.
View Quote
Commercial MCX and MPX no longer include sights unless you're into some kind of TALO package.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Is the Cabelas price pretty common? It looks like the price is trending down, finally.

Now damn it, Sig, license the barrels so others can start cranking out new calibers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JAG2955: Now damn it, Sig, license the barrels so others can start cranking out new calibers.
View Quote
^^THIS^^
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Here are a few FDE Virtus' just after having a Geissele triggers and Dead Air Sandman K suppressors installed.  The Rattler is sporting a K as well for the photo.  The top is a MCX pistol with 9" 300blk barrel and Griffin Armament Alpha.

Here is one with a Sig Suppressor handguard:
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Is Sig shipping the new(er) Virtus' with black grip/stock on the FDE models??? I'd love to have the black -- I got stuck with the "FDE" furniture instead...
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Still waiting for a 9” 5.56 barrel. Any word if that will be a reality someday?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#33]
No word on the 9" 5.56 from what I have seen.  I was at Sig for a the MCX Armorer class this past December.  It would be nice so you can have the same overall length if you want to swap calibers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#34]
The black stock and grip came with the three we received a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By VT_K9:
The black stock and grip came with the three we received a few weeks ago.
View Quote
... weird.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Is the Cabelas price pretty common? It looks like the price is trending down, finally.
View Quote
Well I went today and bought their package that they just came out with below. The item number in the add is not correct and it took them a few minutes to figure it out, but for $1650 with the vertx bag, I let them work through it and got it. Had a bunch of gift cards that I have collected over the year and this was the first time in a while I saw something they carried that I wanted. FYI it doesn't say Noctis anywhere on it, says Virtus just like normal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I went today and bought their package that they just came out with below. The item number in the add is not correct and it took them a few minutes to figure it out, but for $1650 with the vertx bag, I let them work through it and got it. Had a bunch of gift cards that I have collected over the year and this was the first time in a while I saw something they carried that I wanted. FYI it doesn't say Noctis anywhere on it, says Virtus just like normal.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86875/Cabelas_JPG-913635.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86875/Cabelas_JPG-913635.JPG
Where did you find that package, I don't see it anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 1-75Ranger:

Where did you find that package, I don't see it anywhere.
View Quote
@1-75Ranger it is at Cabelas (and BassPro) in their current store flyer. The item number in the flyer doesn't pull up on the website but in the store it is the regular rifle listed for $1799 and they have the bag in the back. Once they ring it up it drops to the advertised $1649. Don't waste your time with trying online customer service as they have no clue how to find the correct item number and are not even in the US per the store manager (i kinda figured since they responded to emails at 2 am) . If you need the right item number I can try and get it off my receipt later tonight, just let me know.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Looked through the whole thread but didn't see where anyone solved the weight discrepancy concerning the 9"-16" versions all being exactly 1lb heavier than the earlier generation.  Does anyone have a real, confirmed weight on the different versions, or at least the 11.5" Virtus?

Also, does the Noctis have the same barrel profile as the Virtus or is it thinner like the older MCX's?  Cabela's site lists the weight for the 16" Noctis at 6.9lbs but BassPro's site lists the weight for the 16" Noctis at 7.9lbs.

This whole thing is really absurd, I've never had so much trouble finding out what a firearm actually weighs.

Bonus: Does anyone have any experience running the 11.5" Virtus with a SOCOM RC2?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By gman90:
Looked through the whole thread but didn't see where anyone solved the weight discrepancy concerning the 9"-16" versions all being exactly 1lb heavier than the earlier generation.  Does anyone have a real, confirmed weight on the different versions, or at least the 11.5" Virtus?

Also, does the Noctis have the same barrel profile as the Virtus or is it thinner like the older MCX's?  Cabela's site lists the weight for the 16" Noctis at 6.9lbs but BassPro's site lists the weight for the 16" Noctis at 7.9lbs.

This whole thing is really absurd, I've never had so much trouble finding out what a firearm actually weighs.

Bonus: Does anyone have any experience running the 11.5" Virtus with a SOCOM RC2?
View Quote
Weight increase was because they went to a heavier barrel profile w/ the Virtus.  11.5" SBR, no mag, w/ Sig flip-up sights - 7.2 lbs on my scale.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SilasB:

Weight increase was because they went to a heavier barrel profile w/ the Virtus.  11.5" SBR, no mag, w/ Sig flip-up sights - 7.2 lbs on my scale.
View Quote
Anything else on that?

I can weigh my Legacy in the same 11.5" configuration.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SilasB:

View Quote
The handguard is also supposedly thicker and heavier.

I would love it if somebody could weight a naked Virtus receiver, handguard, and barrel assembly separately.

I could do that with my legacy and compare.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Anything else on that?

I can weigh my Legacy in the same 11.5" configuration.
View Quote
At the time Sig was saying it was for accuracy reasons.  Don't know if we'd see any meaningful variation at 11.5" though.

Throw some numbers up.  I'll try grab some from the Virtus stuff I have, the SBR, a 14" barrel, and a 300 blk 16" upper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:37:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#44]
I can weigh any variation that’s needed.  I have a couple of MCX... just someone let me know exactly what they want weighed.

Weight increases with Virtus are, primarily, in the barrel profile and handguards.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:27:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: right_rudder] [#45]

Now damn it, Sig, license the barrels so others can start cranking out new calibers.
View Quote
Damn do I wish this would happen

ETA @coregon I'd be happy if Sig would offer barrels in other calibers.. 6.8, 224v, etc

not sure if you have any input or not, but Sig is missing a yuge opportunity since the MCX is the perfect platform for something like this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#46]
There is also a slight increase when they added to the rear of the receiver on the left side. While the hand guards are heavier some of it may because more of the top rail covering the piston and gas block is now part of the hand guard and not the receiver.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

ETA @coregon I'd be happy if Sig would offer barrels in other calibers.. 6.8, 224v, etc

not sure if you have any input or not, but Sig is missing a yuge opportunity since the MCX is the perfect platform for something like this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

I do have input, however, final say falls in the lap of the Product Manager.

We, typically, tend to stay with calibers that are popular in LE or MIL circles.  That said, I dont want to necessarily speculate on what may/may not transpire in the future.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By VT_K9:
There is also a slight increase when they added to the rear of the receiver on the left side. While the hand guards are heavier some of it may because more of the top rail covering the piston and gas block is now part of the hand guard and not the receiver.

Mike
View Quote
This is true, along with the handguards being heavier-walled.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Coregon,

What were the reasons for going to a heavier profile barrel and thicker and heavier handguards?  I can take a guess that sig wanted the barrel to hold groupings when hot and the handguards to help prevent any zero loss with lasers but was it really that big of a issue on the original mcx?
I find the weight difference between gen 1 mcx and the virtus to be quite noticeable and the 11.5 pistol virtus seems much heavier than it needs to be.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I can weigh any variation that’s needed.  I have a couple of MCX... just someone let me know exactly what they want weighed.

Weight increases with Virtus are, primarily, in the barrel profile and handguards.
View Quote
The primary configuration that I personally would like to know the weight of to compare between the old and the new would be the 11.5" pistol config.  I'm considering trying to get my hands on an older Gen MCX and an aftermarket Mlok rail to save the weight.  If it only makes sense to go with the Virtus for other reasons then I'm back to considering an 11.5" BCM upper for the same reasons of weight.  I just didn't realize how heavy the Virtus was until recently.  Is there any chance of any future generations of MCX's being made with a lightweight barrel profile option?

I've also heard that the original MCX's had quite a bit of gas blowback when shooting suppressed.  Is that one of the things that was addressed with the Virtus in any ways that are more meaningful than a gasbuster styled charging handle?  I mostly shoot 556-RC2's.
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 14 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top