User Panel

Site Notices
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 11 of 69)
Page / 69
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VT_K9:

We are looking at the 9" 300 Blk SBR.  I have not been able to get information through the LE channels of Sig.  I enjoy my MCX and have a Rattler SBR on order.
View Quote
Oh ok. I so want a 9” 5.56 barrel for my MCX SBR. I had heard that they were available to LE only but can’t confirm anything from Sig or Sig LE dealers. I have a 11.5” now and I do like it, but would prefer a 9” to go with the short PDW handguard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought my MCX as a 5.56 pistol.  Then I bought the 9" and 6.75" 300 BLK barrels and the suppressor forend.  I don't have any other forends and would likely by the Mid-west industries or the Virtus forends.

A 9" factory MCX 5.56 barrel would be nice to line everything up with the same forend.  I bought the Rattler as a SBR so I won't bother converting the MCX to a SBR.  In VT we can have a loaded handgun in a vehicle (still) but not a loaded long gun.

I have carried a 300 BLK for my patrol rifle since 2012.  It is a Colt lower with an AAC 9" upper.  I run a AAC SDN6 on it.  It has been a great rifle and I really like the cartridge.  I bought the MCX to convert to SBR for a new patrol rifle, but with all the changes and lack of information I have delayed that.  I have spoken with my Chief and he is on board with the Department purchasing Sig Virtus SBR 300 BLK with a 9" barrel for our patrol rifles.  I have had a hard time finding the beast in the LE channels.  It seems they like the keep the serial numbers or part numbers separate.  If I hear anything about the 9" 5.56 barrel I will let you know.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds great. My department only allows 5.56. We do use a really good round though. Winchester 5.56 64 grain tactical bonded. Part #RA556B.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a great round for the caliber.  I had switch to their 64 gr Ranger round about 2 years before I switch to the 300 blk.  I have learned to enjoy the sound/concussion/gas/impulse or whatever term works.  There is a big difference and to me the 300 BLK is a joy to shoot.  Fortunately my current PD and last PD allow reasonable alternatives.  I can understand some concerns about the expense difference for training in volume, but there is minimal difference for duty ammunition.  That is one reason to take a look at the MCX.  We are considering an extra barrel in 5.56 for higher volume training and in the event we can run sims in the guns.

I need to find or make some time to use the MCX more to experience the difference in the gas system...maybe the 5.56 is not so bad suppressed.  I have not shot the 5.56 barrel yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone seen the rattler sbr in the wild?  If not, does anyone know if and when they might be released to the public? My LGS has the pistol version, but swears the sbr version is coming soon and I would like to wait for the sbr if it is not vaporware. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By drudge:
Has anyone seen the rattler sbr in the wild?  If not, does anyone know if and when they might be released to the public? My LGS has the pistol version, but swears the sbr version is coming soon and I would like to wait for the sbr if it is not vaporware. Thanks.
View Quote
About three weeks ago I ordered one at the Sig Pro Shop at the Sig Academy.  I was told I was fourth or fifth on the list from there.  I initially ordered a Rattler pistol and changed my mind because I have a MCX pistol and knew I'd be converting one to SBR anyway.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By VT_K9:

About three weeks ago I ordered one at the Sig Pro Shop at the Sig Academy.  I was told I was fourth or fifth on the list from there.  I initially ordered a Rattler pistol and changed my mind because I have a MCX pistol and knew I'd be converting one to SBR anyway.

Mike
View Quote
Thanks. Let us know when you actually get it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks. Let us know when you actually get it.
View Quote
I received the call from sig on Saturday.  They have it and are ready to ship it once they receive my final payment.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you ask them about a 9” 5.56 barrel down the road?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone had any experience with the following combo?

- 6.75" 300BO barrel
- Sandman "S" can
- Both supersonic and subsonic ammo

The suppressor does not have a min length requirement, but I'm not sure how the 1/5 twist will handle a variety of bullet weights and a suppressor.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:43:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalam] [#11]
I have experience with that. Works great. Smaller and significantly quieter than my mp5. Zero at 1” high at 25yds and you’ll get a useful maximum point blank zero. Don’t really have to start holdovers until 200yds. Make sure to set for to more gas setting when shooting subs. Supers will run in either setting but you can avoid gas to the face if you switch back and forth with appropriate ammo.

Edit: @smartliketractor
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#12]
@coregon

Anybody have any updates on the SURG upper being available? I see rattler upper kits are shipping now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AKDoc:
@coregon

Anybody have any updates on the SURG upper being available? I see rattler upper kits are shipping now.
View Quote
Is there an actual Rattler kit? Or just all the parts separately?
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#14]
@coregon

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@coregon

SURG uppers are close.  Waiting for a live update now.

Originally Posted By JAG2955:
There is a complete Rattler URG - it comes with the complete upper, M4 lower adapter, DUO Trigger and Rattler stock.

SKU:  UAMCX-5B-300-BLK-TAP
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kalam:
I have experience with that. Works great. Smaller and significantly quieter than my mp5. Zero at 1” high at 25yds and you’ll get a useful maximum point blank zero. Don’t really have to start holdovers until 200yds. Make sure to set for to more gas setting when shooting subs. Supers will run in either setting but you can avoid gas to the face if you switch back and forth with appropriate ammo.
View All Quotes
Good to know. Once the can is released from jail, I'll be on the hunt for a 6.75" barrel and probably sell the 9" currently on there.

Originally Posted By coregon:

There is a complete Rattler URG - it comes with the complete upper, M4 lower adapter, DUO Trigger and Rattler stock.

This may be a dumb question - can the upper alone work on a standard AR lower, or does the M4 adapter need to be on there to match the height of the Virtus upper?
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By smartliketractor:
Good to know. Once the can is released from jail, I'll be on the hunt for a 6.75" barrel and probably sell the 9" currently on there.

This may be a dumb question - can the upper alone work on a standard AR lower, or does the M4 adapter need to be on there to match the height of the Virtus upper?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smartliketractor:

You need the adapter, due to the height of the upper/recoil springs.

Technically, it will pin to an M4 lower just fine, but the recoil springs are only partially covered by the lower and you run the risk of getting a recoil spring t the face.  The adapter also give a you the ability to use MCX stocks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#17]
Coregon,

Heard from an MCX owner that he had his barrel locking collar break after 3 barrel swaps and says this is definitely a weak point for the MCX.

Could you give some insight on this?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 9:20:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#18]
Originally Posted By Cops66:
Coregon,

Heard from an MCX owner that he had his barrel locking collar break after 3 barrel swaps and says this is definitely a weak point for the MCX.

Thank you.
View Quote
@Cops66

Not knowing the exact circumstance, i'd bet $100 that he didn't have his barrel fully seated before trying to torque/tighten.  We've seen it happen before - I definitely wouldn't call it a "weak point".

I've swapped barrels hundred's/thousand's of times across the ~10 MCX rifles I own.  Never had an issue with the barrel collar showing wear, breaking, weakening, etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Coregon,

Good to know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Coregon,

Thank you.
View Quote
I had mine break when trying to free a stuck case by grabbing the charging handle and banging the butt on a bench.

My barrel was correctly installed and had no issues before.

Sig wanted to inspect the whole upper after this happened.
Not saying it's a weak point but is something to watch out for.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
I had mine break when trying to free a stuck case by grabbing the charging handle and banging the butt on a bench.

My barrel was correctly installed and had no issues before.

Sig wanted to inspect the whole upper after this happened.
Not saying it's a weak point but is something to watch out for.
View Quote
Yes that’s not good. That is a pretty common failure drill for something like that and if the barrel collar is breaking from that not good at all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Yes that's not good. That is a pretty common failure drill for something like that and if the barrel collar is breaking from that not good at all.
View Quote
Haven't had any problems with it after. And I swap back and forth between my 16" and 11.5" barrels all the time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Coregon,

I have a question on the aluminum used on the MCX/Virtus. Is it 6061 or 7075?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:38:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#24]
Can anyone answer what strength aluminum is used in the MCX/Virtus lower and upper receiver? I’ve heard 6061 and also 7075. Really like to know which one it is and not guess.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Can anyone answer what strength aluminum is used in the MCX/Virtus lower and upper receiver? I've heard 6061 and also 7075. Really like to know which one it is and not guess.
View Quote
I remember reading on Sigs site that it's 7075. All the wear points have replaceable steel inserts.
The thing is built like a tank, I have no problems recommending one. It's my go to rifle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#26]
According to this thread, the MCX and MCX Virtus uses 6061 and the Rattler upper uses 7075.

Why would Sig use a weaker aluminum when they claim this is the toughest rifle around and can go 20k rounds without a part breakage?

Maybe Coregon can give us some input on this?

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-rifles/279457-now-very-interested-why-mcx-virtus-6061-alloy.html#/topics/279457
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#27]
6061 has better long term corrosion resistance, and every wear part is a replaceable steel insert anyway.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Still not as good as 7075 T6 which is the industry standard.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
@coregon

Any idea if Sig will release a rifle version of the SURG (SURG upper on a MCX lower)? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Is there any way to use a AR pistol lower with the MCX collapsible brace and an MCX upper?

If I'm reading the description of the stock adapter right, it might now work with collapsible braces
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Problem is that the area of the AR lower that the buffer tube screws into is slightly wider than the slot the collapsible brace rails ride in.

Originally Posted By Maharlika74:
Is there any way to use a AR pistol lower with the MCX collapsible brace and an MCX upper?

If I'm reading the description of the stock adapter right, it might now work with collapsible braces
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#32]
11.5" Virtus is available in Canada!

who is making the CHF barrels? SIG?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SBR_Slut:

View Quote
I wish there were 3rd party barrels available.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SBR_Slut:

View Quote
MCX barrels are made in house by Sig.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#35]
For the briefest moment a folder stock cutaway to accomdate a visor was listed on sigs website as for sale but out of stock. For no other reason other than I want one I want one of these stocks. Does anyone know if these might actually be released to the public?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#36]
For the briefest moment a folder stock cutaway to accomdate a visor was listed on sigs website as for sale but out of stock. For no other reason other than I want one I want one of these stocks. Does anyone know if these might actually be released to the public?
View Quote
This?  I have one, but no plans to release on the commercial market.

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]

This?  I have one, but no plans to release on the commercial market.

https://goo.gl/images/aN6UjL
View Quote
I am not seeing the picture but I am sure that is it. When it appeared on the website for the briefest moment i was very excited. Want to sell me yours?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#38]
According to this thread, the MCX and MCX Virtus uses 6061 and the Rattler upper uses 7075.

Why would Sig use a weaker aluminum when they claim this is the toughest rifle around and can go 20k rounds without a part breakage?

Maybe Coregon can give us some input on this?

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-rifles/279457-now-very-interested-why-mcx-virtus-6061-alloy.html#/topics/279457
View Quote
@coregon

Is there a reason why these two weapons use different metals?
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 3:46:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VT_K9] [#39]
I received my MCX Rattler SBR yesterday.  It came with the magpul grip and fixed stock.  The stock is smaller than the regular MCX stock.  The Rattler balances very well.  The stock works well with my external armor.  I mounted a Griffin Armament Alpha on it.  I need to file the Form 4 and hit the range.

Here is a pic of the Rattler.

As far as the 9" 5.56 barrels go I asked and was told they are not available.  I believe they found a stock number, but nothing on hand.  Still trying to get three LE guns (MCX Virtus FDE 9" SBR).  I think we are going to look at the IOP list to pick them up.  I cannot believe they still have not been certified.  It has been over a year I have asked for them from the area distributor (I was initially looking for the grey Virtus)

Here she is

Link Posted: 7/28/2018 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#40]
It makes no scense that Sig plans to release a 5.5” 5.56 barrel for the Rattler but they won’t re introduce the 9” 5.56 barrel to go with the PDW handguard.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#41]
It makes no scense that Sig plans to release a 5.5” 5.56 barrel for the Rattler but they won’t re introduce the 9” 5.56 barrel to go with the PDW handguard.
View Quote
When has Sig ever done anything that makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By bwhited:

When has Sig ever done anything that makes sense.
View Quote
Very true
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#44]
It’s already posted in the Sig rifle forum
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mdavis:
Any idea if Sig will release a rifle version of the SURG (SURG upper on a MCX lower)? Thanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mdavis:
@coregon

@coregon also wondering this about SURG upper conversion kits. SBR/Pistol/one-stamp, whatever.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:00:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have a part number for a Rattler deflector?
It's not on the website or in the MCX manual.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#47]
The standard part is KIT-MCX-DEFLECTOR-BLK or - FDE.   Might try plugging RATTLER in there and see what happens.  I'll see if I can get answer if it doesn't get answered here sooner.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SilasB:
The standard part is KIT-MCX-DEFLECTOR-BLK or - FDE.   Might try plugging RATTLER in there and see what happens.  I'll see if I can get answer if it doesn't get answered here sooner.
View Quote
Thanks.

No luck so far.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:46:58 AM EDT
[#49]
What part of the country are you in your the first law enforcement agency that I know of to use the 300 black. I think 300 black is an excellent round for law enforcement distances and the suppression
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#50]
How are you guys liking the Virtus? Thinking of grabbing a 11.5 in 5.56.
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 11 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top