User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. I bought the domain through google and have  simple under construction message with my contact information for now. but at least the QR code on my business card goes to a real site now.
View Quote

I would move the domain to another registrar.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Who do you guys use for domain registration/web site hosting?
View Quote

I use domain.com
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. Ended up using host gator. new website is up and running. 3d printer is up making some stuff for my kids, need to experiment a little more. should be pretty good.

For a Form 2 MG (AR15 receiver): Caliber and length (barrel and overall) remain N/A, just like for a regular AR15 receiver, correct?

And block 7 (Type of destructive device, Firearm or Explosives), remains blank?

Prepping for my first one. Just requested eforms access to my FFL.

ETA: I'm also looking to get a run of custom lowers made. My ffl reads " XXX Arms Company, LLC" but I want the lowers to be marked without the "LLC". Marking variance? or Amended FFL? I know I need the marking variance anyways to get another MFR to mark lowers with my info, but will a variance to leave out LLC get approved? or need to file for amended FFL to add a trade/business name?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
How do homebased FFLs deal with signature required items/unable to hold at location shipping?

I've missed a few delivery's and had to go to the ATL airport FedEx to pick them up.

Is my only option a "mailing address" on my FFL for people to ship to? and find a business willing to hold my packages for a day.

I imagine distributors wont drop the "signature" required option to leave in a drop box or something.

I also had UPS just leave packages and make up a "received" by name as proof of delivery. usually the customers name on the package is who "received" the package.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How do homebased FFLs deal with signature required items/unable to hold at location shipping?
View Quote

I've used my local UPS Store to receive my shipments for almost twelve years. Love it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've used my local UPS Store to receive my shipments for almost twelve years. Love it.

View Quote

do you have them listed on your FFL as a mailing address?

My problem is the distributor only ships to address listed on the license and their contracts prevent them from allowing me to use the "hold at location" function on fedex.com.

It seems I may have to get the FFL changed to add a mailing address, I need to add a "business name" at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yup.
But listing on the FFL isnot required: ATF FFL Newsletter September 2013 Volume 2, page 6

My problem is the distributor only ships to address listed on the license and their contracts prevent them from allowing me to use the "hold at location" function on fedex.com.

Find a better distributor. Zanders, Bill Hicks, Sports South, Lipseys and others have never been a problem.
The only distributor that refuses is RSR.....so fuck RSR. (who by the way started in a garage)

It seems I may have to get the FFL changed to add a mailing address, I need to add a "business name" at the same time.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup.
But listing on the FFL isnot required: ATF FFL Newsletter September 2013 Volume 2, page 6

Find a better distributor. Zanders, Bill Hicks, Sports South, Lipseys and others have never been a problem.
The only distributor that refuses is RSR.....so fuck RSR. (who by the way started in a garage)

View Quote

I know that. They know that, but its their policy (Lipseys, btw). Many of the others listed wouldn't allow a homebased FFL.

And then I deal with unexpected deliveries (had a surprise one last night) from UPS that they just left on my porch.

I'm working on a few businesses that may be able to accept packages that aren't a CVS/Walgreens/Dollar General.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Really interesting discussion.  Thank you for posting details about it from idea/conception through all the milestones along the way.

I have some questions:

1 - If a Type 7 FFL is all that a Type 1 is and more (and is even cheaper), why would anyone even bother to get a Type 1 FFL?

2 - Is there a way to have a home-based FFL (selling guns/accessories online) and completely avoid any face-to-face customer interaction?  The concern would be that I would not want to have customers come to my home for anything.  I suppose that would also mean that in such a case, you'd have to exclude firearm sales for your home state, I guess...

3 - How easy/difficult is it to obscure access to your FFL premise address from individuals?  I mean, you'd only provide your FFL to other FFL's - not to individuals.  Would an individual be able to find your FFL in some other manner?

4 - If a Type 7 FFL is interested in getting an SOT to do multimedia and test potential MG designs, is that a valid enough reason for the ATF to approve a Class 2 SOT?

5 - If that Type 7 FFL wants to buy/sell NFA stuff, do they need a Class 3 SOT in addition to a Class 2 SOT?  Or does the Class 2 SOT encompass buying/selling NFA items as well?  If it does, why aren't all SOT's just Class 2 instead of Class 3?

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Really interesting discussion.  Thank you for posting details about it from idea/conception through all the milestones along the way.

I have some questions:

1 - If a Type 7 FFL is all that a Type 1 is and more (and is even cheaper), why would anyone even bother to get a Type 1 FFL?

2 - Is there a way to have a home-based FFL (selling guns/accessories online) and completely avoid any face-to-face customer interaction?  The concern would be that I would not want to have customers come to my home for anything.  I suppose that would also mean that in such a case, you'd have to exclude firearm sales for your home state, I guess...

3 - How easy/difficult is it to obscure access to your FFL premise address from individuals?  I mean, you'd only provide your FFL to other FFL's - not to individuals.  Would an individual be able to find your FFL in some other manner?

4 - If a Type 7 FFL is interested in getting an SOT to do multimedia and test potential MG designs, is that a valid enough reason for the ATF to approve a Class 2 SOT?

5 - If that Type 7 FFL wants to buy/sell NFA stuff, do they need a Class 3 SOT in addition to a Class 2 SOT?  Or does the Class 2 SOT encompass buying/selling NFA items as well?  If it does, why aren't all SOT's just Class 2 instead of Class 3?

View Quote

+1 so can you just apply for a type 7 and ypu can still do all the things of a type 1 or do you have to apply for both?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Insurance is typically easier to get (more providers) and cheaper for an 01 versus an 07.

Only sell stuff you manufacture to other FFL's not the public.

No, the list of FFL's is public info available on the ATF's web site, updated monthly.  There are several services/apps that harvest them and put them out for easy public dissemination (e.g. Google maps).  I get random folks walking/driving up asking to browse inventory every few weeks even though I'm home-based and strictly appointment only.

Solely T&E is not a valid reason to build a post-sample MG.

A type 07 FFL gets a Class 2 SOT.  A type 01 FFL gets a Class 3 SOT.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Adding to what bubbles said-

Quoted:

May not meet zoning requirements.

You xfer to another FFL, or do xfers at a gun show, etc. Or just go all in as a distributor.

SOT does not need "approval". You just send the money in as it is a tax payment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Solely T&E is not a valid reason to build a post-sample MG.

View Quote

I'm confused by this.

As an 07/02, you can build a post sample for any reason. There is no reason on the form 2, and its a notification, not permission.

Please cite some law, or even ATF "rules", that list valid/non-valid reasons/uses that a 07/02 can build a post sample machine gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Please cite some law, or even ATF "rules", that list valid/non-valid reasons/uses that a 07/02 can build a post sample machine gun.
View Quote

When bubbles speaks, take it to the bank.

The law (922o) bans possession of all machine guns. It makes 2 exceptions those already legally possessed and those by MIL/LE. There is NO exception for MFG. Even ATF realized that was unworkable and made and exception for mfg for MIL/LE.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When bubbles speaks, take it to the bank.

The law (922o) bans possession of all machine guns. It makes 2 exceptions those already legally possessed and those by MIL/LE. There is NO exception for MFG. Even ATF realized that was unworkable and made and exception for mfg for MIL/LE.
View Quote

(o)
(1)Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.
(2)This subsection does not apply with respect to—
(A)a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(B)any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

My point, I guess, is that all the 07/02s with post sample machine guns are "dealer sales samples" even though I know many aren't planning to sell to any type of government agencies.

Or maybe this is a better question: Under what guise/legality are 07/02 making machine guns? ATF is approving form 2s without any reasoning on the forms.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

(o)
(1)Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.
(2)This subsection does not apply with respect to—
(A)a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(B)any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

My point, I guess, is that all the 07/02s with post sample machine guns are "dealer sales samples" even though I know many aren't planning to sell to any type of government agencies.

Or maybe this is a better question: Under what guise/legality are 07/02 making machine guns? ATF is approving form 2s without any reasoning on the forms.

View Quote

Just because the F2 does not require a reason does not mean you can make machine guns to enhance your personal collection. The law covers the reason, it is your job as an FFL/SOT To know the law
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#18]
So the YouTubers like Brandon Herrera (the AK guy) who has an 07/02 and is clearly not in the business of manufacturing to sell to LE or agencies, but makes MG's to use on his YT channel - are you saying that's not permitted?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just because the F2 does not require a reason does not mean you can make machine guns to enhance your personal collection. The law covers the reason, it is your job as an FFL/SOT To know the law
View Quote

So every SOT out there making post 86 MGs on glocks, maxim 9s, desert eagles, sten tubes, mp5s, AR15s, AKs, etc are all sales demos for LE/.gov agencies or for other FFL/SOT as sales samples?

Chapter 9 of the ATF handbook:
Regulations implementing the statute allow domestic
manufacturers to lawfully manufacture and stockpile machineguns for future sale to Federal and State
agencies, for distribution to FFLs/SOTs as sales samples for demonstration to such agencies, or for
exportation.

If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction. I've read 922o but doesn't mention anything about licensed manufacturers. For government use or export are the only valid reasons.

Looks like everything is a sales sample then.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So the YouTubers like Brandon Herrera (the AK guy) who has an 07/02 and is clearly not in the business of manufacturing to sell to LE or agencies, but makes MG's to use on his YT channel - are you saying that's not permitted?
View Quote

As I said, there are two exceptions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So every SOT out there making post 86 MGs on glocks, maxim 9s, desert eagles, sten tubes, mp5s, AR15s, AKs, etc are all sales demos for LE/.gov agencies or for other FFL/SOT as sales samples?

manufacturers to lawfully manufacture and stockpile machineguns for future sale to Federal and State
agencies, for distribution to FFLs/SOTs as sales samples for demonstration to such agencies, or for
exportation.

If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction. I've read 922o but doesn't mention anything about licensed manufacturers. For government use or export are the only valid reasons.

View Quote

Can’t speak for any other SOT, but all all the ones I have made were made for sale to MIL/LE, they just have not sold yet.

Eta

throw away the NFA. Handbook. It is to a decade out of date and riddled with errors. That specific section is correct, regulations allow MFG, just like I said. You will see it does not say "T&E". Only "for sale" to mil/le
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I feel like we're tip-toeing around and being careful with wording here.  So I will just ask it:  Are we saying that an 07/02 can build whatever MG they want to as long as it's made available to sell to a LE agency if they inquire, even if the FFL has never actually communicated with any LE agency, it's never advertised for sale anywhere, and never formally offered for sale anywhere?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I feel like we're tip-toeing around and being careful with wording here.  So I will just ask it:  Are we saying that an 07/02 can build whatever MG they want to as long as it's made available to sell to a LE agency if they inquire, even if the FFL has never actually communicated with any LE agency, it's never advertised for sale anywhere, and never formally offered for sale anywhere?
View Quote

ATF/IOI: Why did you make those Machine Guns?
07/02: For sale to MIL/LE.

/done - CORRECT

07/02: For T&E  - For YouTube - For Rental - etc

/done - FAIL
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

07/02: For sale to MIL/LE.

/done - CORRECT

07/02: For T&E  - For YouTube - For Rental - etc

/done - FAIL
View Quote

I appreciate it. I wasn't trying to be difficult, just trying to get to the actual correct answer.

Still find it mind boggling the legality of certain things is based on "intent" and not the actual use.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok another question about .gov purchasing. I'm registered on SAM and I've gotten few solicitations for quotes for various .gov agencies. Assuming I'm awarded one, how does the transfer of non-NFA items work? NFA is pretty straightforward it seems on a form 5.

the 4473 has instructions for entities:

When the transferee/buyer of a firearm is a corporation, company, association,
partnership, or other such business entity, an officer authorized to act on behalf of the business must complete Section B of the form with his/her personal information, sign Section B, and attach a written statement, executed under penalties of perjury, stating: (A) the firearm is being acquired for the use of and will be the property of that business entity; and (B) the name and address of that business entity.

This makes sense for someone buying something local, like a Police Department. But what about another .gov agency either in state far away? or out of state?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

exportation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exportation.

If a local LEO head who could legally purchase my machineguns showed up right now, I would sell every single one to him. at a fair market price.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top