Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2017 12:51:50 PM EDT
I know you have to have a manufacturers license, but say you assemble rifles from a kit and another manufacturer's lower, do you need to engrave your information on the receiver since you built it into a rifle and paid the federal excise tax?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. If you manufacture a firearm, it must be marked.

However, you can "adopt" certain markings - caliber, model, serial number (as long as it's not something you've used before).  Most cases you only need to add Manufacturer and City/State.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Could the original manufacturer engrave them for you prior to delivery, or must you engrave them after they have been added to your bound book? I don't see how that would be different in the end than sending it out for engraving after the finished receiver was received.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could the original manufacturer engrave them for you prior to delivery, or must you engrave them after they have been added to your bound book? I don't see how that would be different in the end than sending it out for engraving after the finished receiver was received.
View Quote
The original manufacturer can get a marking variance from ATF.

That's how Aero Precision and other manufacturers will do runs for Spikes, Palmetto, etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
<50 per year still exempt from FAET?
Edit: yes https://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faet-faqs.shtml

Could the 07 FFL receive a variance exempting them from the manufacturer and city/state engraving requirement? Has this happened (requested/received)?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never engraved any of the guns I have made, as they were not made to sell, they are simply personal use guns, if I choose to sell one or give one away I have to engrave my information and a serial number on it.  I was told this is legal by a BATE supervisor.

If you are building with the intent to sell or give away, they have to be engraved.

There is that dirty little word again "Intent" and unfortunately, you don't decide what your intent is, they do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don't forget ITAR at $2250 each year.

Could the 07 FFL receive a variance exempting them from the manufacturer and city/state engraving requirement? Has this happened (requested/received)?
No such exemption in the law.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is for DDs at least, if such exception is approved by the director of ATF. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is for DDs at least, if such exception is approved by the director of ATF. 
View Quote
I think that's because DD's include ammunition and grenades.....and engraving each round might have been held to be a bit silly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't forget ITAR at $2250 each year.

View Quote
So you need ITAR to assemble an AR kit for domestic sale?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you need ITAR to assemble an AR kit for domestic sale?
View Quote
DDTC says no......if all you are doing is assembly of parts manufactured by others.
If you are doing ANY machining operation then yes.

Domestic sales are treated exactly the same is exports.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

DDTC says no......if all you are doing is assembly of parts manufactured by others.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope, if you are assembling parts that are covered by ITAR, then you also must be ITAR compliant.

http://www.dunlap-stone.edu/itar-compliance-and-itar-certified/

Here is an line from the page I have linked:

For a company involved in the manufacture, sale or distribution of goods or services covered under the United States Munitions List (USML)
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nope, if you are assembling parts that are covered by ITAR, then you also must be ITAR compliant.
View Quote

DDTC has issued other guidance to FFL's with a manufacturer's license.  In their world "assembly" <> "manufacturing", though in the ATF's world it is because of the collection of FAET; remember the ATF is at its base a tax collection agency and that drives many of their regulatory processes.

Once a manufacturer starts mllling or drilling then ITAR registration is required.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

DDTC has issued other guidance to FFL's with a manufacturer's license.  In their world "assembly" <> "manufacturing", though in the ATF's world it is because of the collection of FAET; remember the ATF is at its base a tax collection agency and that drives many of their regulatory processes.

Once a manufacturer starts mllling or drilling then ITAR registration is required.
View Quote
This.

What ATF considers as a manufacturing activity is completely different than what DDTC considers as manufacturing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a company involved in the manufacture, sale or distribution of goods or services covered under the United States Munitions List (USML)
That link is rife with misinformation. The most glaring is the last quote......it's flat out  wrong.

Instead read the stuff here:Dept of State DDTC

And most importantly what Adam Kraut wrote here:
Prince Law Firm article
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That link is rife with misinformation. The most glaring is the last quote......it's flat out  wrong.

Instead read the stuff here:Dept of State DDTC

And most importantly what Adam Kraut wrote here:
Prince Law Firm article
View Quote
Thank you, I had never read Adam's Kraut's article on this.  Don't read my link, read Adam's for more up to date and pertinent information.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Almost everything written about ITAR wrt firearms over the years has been wrong, except of course for what I wrote  having worked ITAR as a fed I had an inside track). hence the FAQs issues by DDTC to clear things up, repeating of course what I wrote.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting discussion.  An FFL 07 that assembles AR15 lower halves a from parts kits needs to engrave their own info? Assume the receiver is already marked by the manufacturer of the receiver.  Eg Aero Precision.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interesting discussion.  An FFL 07 that assembles AR15 lower halves a from parts kits needs to engrave their own info? Assume the receiver is already marked by the manufacturer of the receiver.  Eg Aero Precision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes.

I was just reading back through the thread and saw this:
Quoted:I have never engraved any of the guns I have made, as they were not made to sell, they are simply personal use guns, if I choose to sell one or give one away I have to engrave my information and a serial number on it.  I was told this is legal by a BATE supervisor.

There is no federal requirement for a non-licensee to engrave make/model/serial # on a Title I firearm; it can be sold sterile.  Some states have their own laws regarding such.  ATF strongly suggests that it be done but it's not a federal law that it's required; 27 CFR § 478.92 only applies to licensed manufacturers and importers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top