Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 2:28:49 PM EDT
I'm sure it's been asked a million times but I've never had to do it so here I am....

Can an individual (me) ship a handgun to an out of state FFL?  I already know I can't use USPS because I'm not an FFL so it would need to go FedEx
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you're not a FFL holder you can ship a handgun via UPS or FedEx NDA.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you're not a FFL holder you can ship a handgun via UPS or FedEx NDA.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you send a copy of your DL for the ffl's records. Of course omit a SS# if present, but he needs your address.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Other that what's been mentioned, one issue you may run into is that some FFLs won't accept incoming transfers from individuals.

Typically, they've had bad experiences with individuals who didn't; 1) include their own name and address which are needed for logging purposes, or 2) contact details for the end buyer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Call the FFL you are wanting to ship to and give him the details of why you are shipping to him so he is aware, he will need the shipper's details, ID, Address, etc.  He will need the buyers information and such.  The only time I have refused a shipment, was cause I didn't know it was coming, when I used to do transfers, I kept a log of who was sending to me and checked it when the gun showed up to make sure that I had been contacted.  A lot of times, it can be easier to have one of your LGS ship for you, then they can ship USPS and often times they can do it for less than you can.  When I did them, I usually charged right around $25 and UPS and Fedex wanted more from an individual to ship.  I just had them provide the packaging and I sealed it and printed the label for it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Other that what's been mentioned, one issue you may run into is that some FFLs won't accept incoming transfers from individuals.

Typically, they've had bad experiences with individuals who didn't; 1) include their own name and address which are needed for logging purposes, or 2) contact details for the end buyer.
View Quote
As an individual occasionally shipping to out of state FFLs to facilitate a private party transfer, I’ve generally had no issues as long as I’ve provided a copy of my DL, my phone number, and full contact information for buyer.  

In two instances, I’ve had dealers get upset and start talking about liability from receiving items from a non-FFL.  My general response to the situation has been to give them whatever they ask for ( bill of sale, etc), and then simply not use that dealer again.  

If all of the normal required information has been provided, has anyone here heard of or experience post-transfer liability?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Any FFL that says anything about liability on incoming shipments is a fucktard. Zero common sense. Use one that has their shit together.
They have zero control over what shows up. Unless they are just completely and refuse anything they don't recognize. They have zero control over idiots not providing the needed info and they most likely will not know it until the package is accepted and opened.
They have extremely limited liability except to log it in with the information provided and if needed information is missing, make an effort to obtain it before transfer.
It is realy not a big deal. They are just lazy bastards that are not realy in the firearms business. They are playing gun dealer for feels.
99.9% of the time it takes care of it self. Sooner or later someone comes looking for their firearm. Then it gets straightened out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is realy not a big deal. They are just lazy bastards that are not realy in the firearms business. They are playing gun dealer for feels.
View Quote
What exactly IS "playing gun dealer for feels" consist of.
When you have your states State Police threatening to arrest dealers who accept guns that don't come from another FFL that later turn out to be stolen, (as if the FFL chain of custody would prevent that), its  alegitimate issue for some dealers.
You guys down south have a much more casual approach to guns and may not appreciate what some dealers in other states have to worry about
As for things working out 99.99% of the time, its that other .01% you should worry about
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any FFL that says anything about liability on incoming shipments is a fucktard. Zero common sense. Use one that has their shit together.
They have zero control over what shows up. Unless they are just completely and refuse anything they don't recognize. They have zero control over idiots not providing the needed info and they most likely will not know it until the package is accepted and opened.
They have extremely limited liability except to log it in with the information provided and if needed information is missing, make an effort to obtain it before transfer.
99.9% of the time it takes care of it self. Sooner or later someone comes looking for their firearm. Then it gets straightened out.
View Quote
Do you have an FFL?

I'm curious, a dealer can't sit on an rifle in inventory and not in the books while waiting for sooner or later.  I have seen people wait weeks to pickup a firearm.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have an FFL?

I'm curious, a dealer can't sit on an rifle in inventory and not in the books while waiting for sooner or later.  I have seen people wait weeks to pickup a firearm.
View Quote
I have previously held an FFL and run a fairly large shop.

What are you talking about ? The firearm gets logged in with whatever information was provided. If the person that shipped it did not send the complete information you need there is nothing you can do except make contact and do your best to get it from them. You already accepted the pkg. it is in your hand and needs to get logged in.
The package came from somewhere ? With no other info you use what you have.
Example: Handgun shows up. No info in the box for whatever reason and the label got wet and the persons name is not clear or only a partial address. Other..?
You log it in with whatever info there is. Keep the screwed up label with your notes. If you are missing info you place a note on the box stating the firearm is not be transferred until the missing information is provided. You place another note on it detailing: call made. Email sent, etc. There is nothing else you can be expected to do.
You have shown good faith to obtain the information and reminded other employees not to transfer the firearm until information is updated. If the person that shipped it does not get back to you with the info. The only thing left is to wait until someone comes to pick it up. You then explain to them you are not transferring the firearm until you get what you need. It is that simple. 99.9% of the time the problem fixes it self when someone comes to pick it up.
If by some bizarre circumstances you ended up with a firearm and zero viable information then obviously a quick call to ATF and ask what they would like you to do.
I would just log it in as unknown or missing info and make sure you do not transfer it until it gets resolved.
As long as you are showing good faith to comply with the rules and resolve the problem as best you can the ATF is not looking to come after you. They also like to be informed when weird shit happens. We always called the local field office. It helps in 2 ways. They know you are working on a resolution and if compliance happens to show up while you are having an issue they can let them know you already informed ATF about it.
ATF compliance and field agents in many cases never interact with each other.  Compliance is nearly a separate entity that runs around on their own.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I see what you're saying, I agree not much you can do if you get a box with no defining characteristics and you're basically forced to open it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top