Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2017 1:58:08 PM EDT
I wanted to apply for a home based FFL but my home is part of an HOA.  I have read a little info about the possibility of getting an FFL on a storage unit. I found little info on the subject. I also read a little about the possibly of a virtual FFL. The info is few & far between. I thought I would ask opinions on the subject. Are there are any other options for someone who can't do a home based FFL due to HOA. Moving is of of the question right now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Try asking here.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/FFL-Discussions/44/
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats where I'm at.

Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure your HOA won't allow it? Often, a creatively drafted letter explaining that you won't have a retail business and/or commercial foot traffic will work. Also, I've helped many people get their FFLs by explaining that it is needed for another business purpose (blogger, industry rep, etc.) and that it is only a formality and there'll be no commercial activity occurring at your location.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont give up without giving your HOA an opportunity to "offiicially" turn you down.  I move recently to a neighborhood that has a very strong HOA with many, many rules.  The deed covenants say "no part of any property can be used for a business" even though my city's ordinances allow home based businesses.  As advised above, I wrote them a letter telling them what i wanted to do (basically told them what an FFL does and why I need a place of business) and my community's manager took it to the HOA board.  I was sort of hoping they'd approve but didn't know if they would.  I was ready call it quits and just transfer all my inventory into my collection (I'm an SOT) and be done.

Lo and behold, they approved it.  No weird conditions or anything.  Just have to follow city ordinances (one patron at at time, no signs, no parking issues) and follow all the rules.  Give them a chance.  You'll never know unless you try.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top