Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 4:25:57 PM EDT
Random customer finds my ad for transfers.
Wants to transfer in 2 firearms.

Coming  in from 2 different dealers.

Dealer 1 sends the damn thing plain Jane no signature
No 18+
NOTHING

The post office just left it outside my door (business)
Ok luckily wasn't stolen ($2400 item)

Dealer 2
Uses "FFL registry" and NOT the ez FFL check to verify my FFL.
Even after giving him a copy of my FFL he still uses the registry.
The registry had my old address.
Even tho he had my FFL copy with the correct address he sent to the old address based on this registry which I never signed up for.

Luckily this one was signature required etc.

Now Becuz of this dealers goof I had to go to 2 different post offices(post office a block from that address isn't that right one. The hell)

So I told the customer because of this nonsense (dealer 2)
I'm gonna charge you $100 extra for time,travel , frustration.

Am I in the wrong for this? I don't think so. For $15 it wasn't worth the hassle. But for $100 ok

What you guys think.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Why should the customer pay for a dealer screw up?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No 18+
NOTHING

Dealer 2
Even tho he had my FFL copy with the correct address he sent to the old address based on this registry which I never signed up for.

Now Becuz of this dealers goof I had to go to 2 different post offices(post office a block from that address isn't that right one. The hell)

Am I in the wrong for this? I don't think so. For $15 it wasn't worth the hassle. But for $100 ok

What you guys think.
View Quote

Sending dealer #1 is par for the course.
Sending dealer of package #2 could have gone to the USPS web site and re-routed the shipment to your correct address since he had the tracking number and printed the label.  Did you ask him to fix his screw-up by doing this?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You should have just let the second gun go.  Its the dealers fault, and its not worth your effort.  You chose to go track it down, so I don't think you get to charge extra.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No 18+
NOTHING

Dealer 2

What you guys think.
View Quote

Don't be a dick!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If you advised the customer the fee when you agreed to handle this... you should keep your word!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The first dealer was a pawn shop. So not sure why they would send without restrictions.
Second dealer seemed like an older guy. Gun broker transaction so I'm kinda surprised of his antics.

Also both the dealer and customer asked me to resolve this if I could.

The dealer seemed like he was happy with getting his $2500 and wanted to drop it on me.

I told the customer to recoup the extra from the sending dealer since he asked me to help him on it etc.

The reason I didn't wanna just let the second one go was because I still have the first gun.  Customer was planning to pickup both same day since it was supposed to come same time until this fiasco.

I did let the customer know that to get the second one I wasn't going to do it for just $15 etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you advised the customer the fee when you agreed to handle this... you should keep your word!
View Quote
The regular transfer fee is always the same. But I did let the customer know prior to chasing it didn't it wasn't gonna be the regular $15 I charge.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Free advice from someone who's in the business.  You're going to hurt yourself in the long run by word of mouth doing that.  Sometimes we have to lose a little to win big in the long run. People that bend over backward for people are the successful ones.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
U guys think I should just take it as lesson learned and skip the extra ? Even after letting the cust know prior to chasing it?

I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone would do.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Free advice from someone who's in the business.  You're going to hurt yourself in the long run by word of mouth doing that.  Sometimes we have to lose a little to win big in the long run. People that bend over backward for people are the successful ones.
View Quote
In my main business I do that.  Thank you for the advice. I do agree with you. I have done numerous free transfers for members here. I do prefer the customer service thing myself.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I would personally leave it be. The customer didn't cause this and he should not be punished for it. He also may not come back to you or suggest you to his friends if you charge him that much in excess.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I can see your frustration, specially cause of dealer #2. I get time is money.   At the same time, you agreed to the transfers and it isnt the customers fault ffl #2 sent it to the wrong FF address (maybe update this info even though its old info???) you also chose to do the running around.  If anything, I would save either both or atleast dealer #2s info and just tell the customer he made it a real pain in the ass and you wont do any more transfers from ffl #2.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you CALL either dealer prior to the shipment?  For your transfer fee, I would expect you to at least do some up front work.  If you want it shipped a certain way, be clear.  

People can forge a different address on a paper signed copy FFL and then send it off.  That is why they probably shipped to the registry address, right or wrong.  

I am glad you posted that.  It is good to know how many different ways things can get fucked up. 

I too, have had a plainly marked, photo of gun on box, package delivered to my door, no signature required, nobody at home.  I was very lucky back then to live at the end of a long driveway.  

You ask the question whether you should charge the customer for the fuckup.  The answer lies in whether you want them as a return customer, or whether you want him to tell ten of his friends about how fucked up the situation was made by you. He may even put it up on Yelp and your Facebook just to really dig in the spurs.  I am that guy that put up a nice Yelp post for the local dealer that has had flawless transactions for me.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This ^. When you said it wouldn't be the normal $15, did you say it was $100?  If you didn't let him know it was that much, you shouldn't charge that much. Ask for the gas money at most. I know your time isn't free, but $100 to run to the post office?  Word will get around and you will loose a lot of business. If you eat the cost and politely explain to the customer how much hassle it was, the customer will recommend you to everyone. It's your choice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When you said it wouldn't be the normal $15, did you say it was $100?  If you didn't let him know it was that much, you shouldn't charge that much. Ask for the gas money at most.
View Quote
This.

As stated, you could have asked the second dealer to reroute the package if it bothered you that much to track it down. Personally, I would just eat the loss. You'll get more transfer business by doing so.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately, I have done transfers that I had to put extra effort into, but going from $15 to a $100 bucks is a lot, it is probably time to just eat the time you put into the 2nd one and go on with life, it will pay you in the future.  I will say, I won't and don't do transfers anymore.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No 18+
NOTHING

Dealer 2

What you guys think.
View Quote

I think this is a typical dick move that give FFLs a bad name.

Charging the customer $100 because the dealer screwed up? WTF man. Even worse is I am sure this fee was not agreed to in advance with customer, if the customer balks, what is your next move? If it is too much work, then let the dealer and the customer figure out how to get it to the correct address, and stay home.

Go ahead, charge him $100 (hey why not $500), then come back and complain when customer has posted his experience on every gun board in Arizona.... or, tell the customer how much effort you went through to help him out, and then he posts his positive experience with you.

As a business owner, it should have been obvious to you how to handle this.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Off topic.but what part of town are you in always prefer to send business to fellow members.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think this is a typical dick move that give FFLs a bad name.

Charging the customer $100 because the dealer screwed up? WTF man. Even worse is I am sure this fee was not agreed to in advance with customer, if the customer balks, what is your next move? If it is too much work, then let the dealer and the customer figure out how to get it to the correct address, and stay home.

Go ahead, charge him $100 (hey why not $500), then come back and complain when customer has posted his experience on every gun board in Arizona.... or, tell the customer how much effort you went through to help him out, and then he posts his positive experience with you.

As a business owner, it should have been obvious to you how to handle this.
View Quote
+1 May suck wasting your time, but surely your reputation and future business is worth something.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Off topic.but what part of town are you in always prefer to send business to fellow members.
View Quote
+1, if its on the north / west side, i need a new FFL.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Now you know why FFL's with a clue don't do transfers for $15.

If you want to keep that price point then your customers need to know that any problems that arise before the gun arrives at your premises need to be resolved between the buyer and the seller.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Wrong address return on the second one.

And the customer would need to go back to his seller to have them resend it to the correct address and come in a second time for the second gun.

This wasn't on you and the work you created wasn't asked for.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like you should open up a restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
U guys think I should just take it as lesson learned and skip the extra ? Even after letting the cust know prior to chasing it?

I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone would do.

Thanks.
View Quote
Let it go, you tried and may have done more than the average person in same situation.

That right there says allot.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#25]
#1: Who Cares? Talk to the USPS Guy on your route, letting him know to bring packages inside. Usually they do for business, not sure why he would leave it outside in the first place.
#2: Oh no, you had to run to the post office twice, it's the end of the world.

None of this is the customers fault. Trying to shift the blame to him in the form of charging him more, it is bad practice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did you CALL either dealer prior to the shipment?  For your transfer fee, I would expect you to at least do some up front work.  If you want it shipped a certain way, be clear.  

EMAILED BOTH COPY OF MY FFL. I CANT DICTATE HOW TO TELL AN FFL TO SHIP AN ITEM. I CAN REQUEST. DOESNT MEAN THEY WILL DO

People can forge a different address on a paper signed copy FFL and then send it off.  That is why they probably shipped to the registry address, right or wrong.  

UNDERSTOOD. BUT WRONG REGISTRY. HE DIDNT USE THE FFL EZCHECK. HE USED SOME 3RD PARTY REGISTRY THAT I DIDNT EVEN KNOW I WAS ON

I am glad you posted that.  It is good to know how many different ways things can get fucked up. 

I too, have had a plainly marked, photo of gun on box, package delivered to my door, no signature required, nobody at home.  I was very lucky back then to live at the end of a long driveway.

MY PLACE IS ACTUALLY MY MAIN BUSINESS (CAR DEALER) AND WE ARE NOT IN THE BEST PART OF TOWN. AND HONESTLY I DONT KNOW HOW IN THE HELL THIS BOX REMAINED. ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS I GOT THERE RIGHT AFTER IT WAS DROPPED. WE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH GAS BEING STOLEN, TOOLS BEING STOLEN, RIMS AND TIRES TAKEN OFF. MY FLAG SWOOPER SIGNS STOLEN. SO I WAS VERY SURPRISED THAT THAT RIFLE WAS STILL THERE. 

You ask the question whether you should charge the customer for the fuckup.  The answer lies in whether you want them as a return customer, or whether you want him to tell ten of his friends about how fucked up the situation was made by you. He may even put it up on Yelp and your Facebook just to really dig in the spurs.  I am that guy that put up a nice Yelp post for the local dealer that has had flawless transactions for me.  

UNDERSTOOD. BUT MY FFL BUSINESS IS LISTED NO WHERE OTHER THAN A FEW ADS ON BP. NO GOOGLE INFO, NO PHONE NUMBER, NOTHING. ITS MAINLY WORD OF MOUTH AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY, THEIR COWORKERS ETC. I DIDNT END UP CHARGING THE CUSTOMER. BUT THE CUSTOMER WAS STILL OK WITH IT.
View Quote
so after this whole fiasco. i didnt charge the customer the Extra $$. i took it as lesson learned. and Hopefully for return business

BUT.

the ATF was ALL OVER this person. Apparantly this person is trafficking guns. ATF Agent contacted me and advised me of this person and their intent. Now i dont understand why this person would go thru an ffl and buy these particular types of AR-15s or any guns and not just go on BP and go crazy and buy without any paperwork if you are trafficking.

anyways. The person got Arrested. Left my shop and ATF along with local police swarmed the car after traffic stop.

you know it didnt make sense that this person was buying $5000 worth of rifles (for 2 and thats what they paid) and both were the SAME rifle.
i dont know the exact details but the amount person paid for the rifles was worth more than the car that the person arrived in.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
so after this whole fiasco. i didnt charge the customer the Extra $. i took it as lesson learned. and Hopefully for return business

BUT.

the ATF was ALL OVER this person. Apparantly this person is trafficking guns. ATF Agent contacted me and advised me of this person and their intent. Now i dont understand why this person would go thru an ffl and buy these particular types of AR-15s or any guns and not just go on BP and go crazy and buy without any paperwork if you are trafficking.

anyways. The person got Arrested. Left my shop and ATF along with local police swarmed the car after traffic stop.

you know it didnt make sense that this person was buying $5000 worth of rifles (for 2 and thats what they paid) and both were the SAME rifle.
i dont know the exact details but the amount person paid for the rifles was worth more than the car that the person arrived in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EMAILED BOTH COPY OF MY FFL. I CANT DICTATE HOW TO TELL AN FFL TO SHIP AN ITEM. I CAN REQUEST. DOESNT MEAN THEY WILL DO

UNDERSTOOD. BUT WRONG REGISTRY. HE DIDNT USE THE FFL EZCHECK. HE USED SOME 3RD PARTY REGISTRY THAT I DIDNT EVEN KNOW I WAS ON

MY PLACE IS ACTUALLY MY MAIN BUSINESS (CAR DEALER) AND WE ARE NOT IN THE BEST PART OF TOWN. AND HONESTLY I DONT KNOW HOW IN THE HELL THIS BOX REMAINED. ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS I GOT THERE RIGHT AFTER IT WAS DROPPED. WE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH GAS BEING STOLEN, TOOLS BEING STOLEN, RIMS AND TIRES TAKEN OFF. MY FLAG SWOOPER SIGNS STOLEN. SO I WAS VERY SURPRISED THAT THAT RIFLE WAS STILL THERE. 

UNDERSTOOD. BUT MY FFL BUSINESS IS LISTED NO WHERE OTHER THAN A FEW ADS ON BP. NO GOOGLE INFO, NO PHONE NUMBER, NOTHING. ITS MAINLY WORD OF MOUTH AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY, THEIR COWORKERS ETC. I DIDNT END UP CHARGING THE CUSTOMER. BUT THE CUSTOMER WAS STILL OK WITH IT.
so after this whole fiasco. i didnt charge the customer the Extra $. i took it as lesson learned. and Hopefully for return business

BUT.

Well that's a different kettle of fish.

If ATF gave you a heads up prior to the transfer that the transferee was a dirtbag.................you should have charged him extra. He'll be in prison and unlikely able to access Yelp to give you a bad review.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 for what Tom said.  Not going to be a return customer for sure.

That guy was an idiot. I'm sure they sent him a cease and desist letter at least once.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#29]
it wasnt a guy....
notice how i kept saying "customer" and "this person" etc

btw im in south phoenix.. 5mins from downtown
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I would tell you to pound sand, notify shipper, ATF & state AG you're engaged in a "bait and switch" scheme with my property and watch the fireworks fly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#31]
So FFLs fuck up and you want to charge customer $100?   Hope you enjoy unemployment..........some people have no business owning a shop.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't dream of spending one red cent in a shop ever again if they tried pulling this $100 game, especially after agreeing to a $15 transfer.  I would let every other gun person I knew know about it too so they could avoid playing those games as well.  I bought the gun, I put the shipper in contact with receiving FFL, now take my $15 and give me my guns.  I would expect the same from just about any customer.

Our shop is $25 for the first gun and less (or $0) for additional transfers in the same transaction, regardless of runarounds. They changed locations a while back and probably had to deal with some of the same stuff.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would tell you to pound sand, notify shipper, ATF & state AG you're engaged in a "bait and switch" scheme with my property and watch the fireworks fly.
View Quote
Didn't read the whole thread did ya?
I don't think the "ATF & state AG" would give a shit how much the OP charged.

Now..........if the OP had not added to his story I would heartily agree with you. It's not the buyers fault that the shipper has his head up his butt. But the OP isn't responsible for chasing down packages at the post office or other wrong address. It's the shippers responsibility under Federal law/ATF regulations to ship to the correct address.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I didn't do a "bait and switch"

The transfer fees were always $15 for first and $10 for any after.

Now after the rifle was "delivered" the customer emailed me and said it was delivered which I promptly told her no it has not been.
After her doing her part the dealer called and asked if I "could fiix" this problem.
After that I spoke to the customer and explained how dealer sent to wrong address and that he used some unapproved registry check.

That's when I told her about that I don't go chasing down these types of issues and for $15 it wasn't worth it.  So I told her I'll try and find it but keep in mind it's not gonna be the normal $15+$10 which she understood.

But after posting about this and getting a rash of shit I didn't charge the extra. Just took it as lesson learned and to never  chase down shit again.

The dealer that screwed up is 07 dealer. So even though it's not right for him not to know the correct way to verify I guess maybe he didn't know since he's an 07 type dealer. Who knows.

I got yelled at
Collected my $25
Stared at this very hot peice of ass gun trafficker
Customer got arrested
Went about my day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Stared at this very hot peice of ass gun trafficker....
View Quote
You do know the rules here don't you?

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#36]
All I can say as a FFL 07 holder...

WOW!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All I can say as a FFL 07 holder...

WOW!
View Quote

Plenty of 07's do transfers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Plenty of 07's do transfers.
View Quote
Where did I say they don't?  I no longer do them, but I have in the past.  My comment was in reference to saying a type 07 didn't know, well we all have to know laws no matter what type you are.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#39]
<-- Current 07/C2
Quoted:
Where did I say they don't?  I no longer do them, but I have in the past.  My comment was in reference to saying a type 07 didn't know, well we all have to know laws no matter what type you are.
View Quote

Got it, that wasn't clear from your post.  We do inbound and outbound transfers.

ETA: Too bad the ATF didn't make the collar in the store, OP could maybe have gotten a free rifle out of the whole mess.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#40]
In all businesses sometimes you make money and sometimes you don't. I would rather lose money on a customer now and then and keep a good reputation for my business.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#41]
How would the atf know that the chick had guns inbound to you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top