Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2017 4:29:31 PM EDT
I have an NFA registered SBR.  Of course, the interesting thing about a short barreled rifle, is the lower is the registered (taxed) NFA item.  When I registered, I listed an 11.5" barrel length.  I am assuming that I can swap-out an upper and now have a 14.5" upper as my SBR, and still be in compliance.  Am I thinking right?

I also understand the constructive ownership doctrine, so don't go there.  I have two SBR lowers, and also a pistol lower, so any short upper can fit on my legal pistol lower or my two legal SBR lowers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You're fine. ATF asks, but cannot legally require you, to inform them if you make any permanent changes to the registered configuration, but you're good to go with any barrel length you want. No change is ever really "permanent" on an AR SBR, anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You're fine, all that they ask is you configure it as stated on the form when you first "build it". From there you can change it how you see fit.

Multiple uppers, change barrel length, etc.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks, guys.  Very helpful.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're fine. ATF asks, but cannot legally require you, to inform them if you make any permanent changes to the registered configuration. . .
View Quote
Best case, you should retain the original upper.  As long as you can put it back into the registered configuration, then the change wasn't permanent.  If you do want to make the change permanent (barrel length or caliber), then just notify the ATF.  It would suck to have an issue in the future where an NFA firearm didn't match the description in the NFR&TR and couldn't be put back into that configuration.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have an NFA registered SBR.  Of course, the interesting thing about a short barreled rifle, is the lower is the registered (taxed) NFA item.
View Quote
No, the entire firearm makes it an SBR. A lower by itself is NOT an SBR.

Quoted:
 When I registered, I listed an 11.5" barrel length.  I am assuming that I can swap-out an upper and now have a 14.5" upper as my SBR, and still be in compliance.  Am I thinking right?
View Quote
Correct. And you can also put a 18 BBL on it, and it is no longer a SBR, becuase the lower is NOT what makes it an SBR.

Quoted:
I also understand the constructive ownership doctrine, so don't go there.
View Quote
No such thing, as "constructive ownership doctrine", so there is no place to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top