Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2017 1:21:11 AM EDT
I have submitted my FFL application to the atf.
They processed my 200 dollars
3/6/17 I have not heard anything from them yet should I be worried? Does it normally take this long to set up the interview and inspection?
Can you call and check your status?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have submitted my FFL application to the atf.
They processed my 200 dollars
3/6/17 I have not heard anything from them yet should I be worried? Does it normally take this long to set up the interview and inspection?
Can you call and check your status?
View Quote

It will take longer.  I sent my renewal to the ATF on 2/22 and got it 3/31, and those don't take as long to process.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Your assigned IOI will call you to setup a time and date.

but if you submitted on 3/6 it hasnt been nearly that long.

Give it another week or so and then call the local office and get the IOI's info thats assigned to you

but me personally id just wait. It has to go to Virginia first, Then i believe they run your backround etc before its presented/assigned to an IOI

atleast i think thats what i was told when i asked.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, My check was cashed 2/24. I called the local office and they say they still don't have my form yet. I'll try to let you know when the call to set up my appointment. It may be different if we are in different states (TX here), but in case it matters, it may be an indication of where you are at.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well the ioi was out here yesterday. she is recommending me for approval but... The county planning and zoning board has ruled no i can not do home based retail gun sales.
She said that she can still get me approved but the county can shut me down and i will loose my ffl ???
The county does allow online sales gun shows, trade shows and gun and gun smithing ?
but the ATF frowns on gun shows and online sales...
Will i still be able to get my ffl if im only allowed to do trade shows, gun shows, online sales and gunsmith work ?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well the ioi was out here yesterday. she is recommending me for approval but... The county planning and zoning board has ruled no i can not do home based retail gun sales.
She said that she can still get me approved but the county can shut me down and i will loose my ffl ???
The county does allow online sales gun shows, trade shows and gun and gun smithing ?
but the ATF frowns on gun shows and online sales...
Will i still be able to get my ffl if im only allowed to do trade shows, gun shows, online sales and gunsmith work ?
View Quote
Historically the ATF doesn't issue the FFL if zoning prohibits transfers on the premises or your HOA CCR's prohibit home-based businesses.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Historically the ATF doesn't issue the FFL if zoning prohibits transfers on the premises or your HOA CCR's prohibit home-based businesses.
View Quote
I think this is purely depending which IOI you get and where. Mine could have cared less about the local law.
My original IOI just said I had to have it done within 30days of approval and she was even with a supervisor when they came for my appt.

When I moved I got a different IOI for the change of address and she didn't even care. Now this could be because our town doesn't have any restrictions on firearms businesses on commercial zoned Properties but who knows.

Also OP  I'm not sure where you heard the Atf frowns on online sales/trade shows / gun shows etc?

My city  has no restrictions on firearm businesses when you are in commercial. There's a bunch of home based FFL/ and manufacturers in my town. Our city doesn't even issue business licenses. Only time they do is for like, strip club, liquor store and a few other businesses that need police approval because of crime stats.

Not that I recommend it but you could get your FFL approved and not do retail sales at your home. I've seen a few licensees who get their FFL with this "restriction" and carry on business in their own way however they do I don't know. I know HOA is tough. Most do allow home based businesses but if your IOI requires a clearance from them and you need to have it specific for firearm sales I don't see any HOA doing that. HOAs suck.

There was an article in the news a while back about a neighboring town and a home based FFL had applied but it had to go thru city planning but they approved it. Even after a bunch of Pansy housewives complained saying it was dangerous n some other ridiculous crap.

The applicant was actually a vet too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I had to sadly withdraw my ffl application. Henry county Georgia planning and zoning said firearms sales does not count as a home based business. They also went on to say that anyone with a home based ffl will not be allowed to renew their business license.
I'm thinking about seeking legal help because I believe this is total garbage. Yes in live in a neighborhood it is zoned R/A (residential agricultural ) no we do not have an HOA or covenants.
To say I'm pissed off is an understatement. I contacted the county business license office before I started this process and they told me you could do online sales and gun smithing. After I had that answer I filed for the ffl.
Why did my ioi go to the planning and zoning department anyway why did it even matter to her ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:00:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well I had to sadly withdraw my ffl application. Henry county Georgia planning and zoning said firearms sales does not count as a home based business. They also went on to say that anyone with a home based ffl will not be allowed to renew their business license.
I'm thinking about seeking legal help because I believe this is total garbage. Yes in live in a neighborhood it is zoned R/A (residential agricultural ) no we do not have an HOA or covenants.
To say I'm pissed off is an understatement. I contacted the county business license office before I started this process and they told me you could do online sales and gun smithing. After I had that answer I filed for the ffl.
Why did my ioi go to the planning and zoning department anyway why did it even matter to her ?
View Quote
Your IOI went to the city planning dept? Wtf?

The license packet says that YOU the applicant have to get local approval within 30days after your FFL licensed is approved.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is common practice for an IOI to verify if local zoning allows home based business. This is usually done prior to the premises inspection. In some cases you won't even be scheduled for a premises inspection if the IOI knows what your zoning allows.

The license packet says that YOU the applicant have to get local approval within 30days after your FFL licensed is approved.
No, it doesn't.

27. Applicant Certification (Please read and initial each box)
___The business to be conducted under the Federal Firearms License is not prohibited by State or local law at the premises shown in item 5. This includes compliance with zoning ordinances.
This means the proposed licensed premises is either zoned for home business or has a variance at the time the application is submitted. There is no 30 day grace period.

___Within 30 days after the application is approved, the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of business.
This means the licensee will obtain any required business license or sales tax permit BEFORE engaging in the business activity.

___Business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met.

___A completed copy of this form has been sent (mailed or delivered) to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the locality in which the premises is located. (See instruction #5.)

___As required by 18 U.S.C. 923 (d)(1)(G), I certify that secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under this Federal Firearms License to persons who are not licensees.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:Why did my ioi go to the planning and zoning department anyway why did it even matter to her ?
View Quote
Because it's part of their overall process and has been for many years.

At this point you can either retain a land use attorney to request a variance for your property, or you can move.  Moving would probably be cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
When I said license packet I guess I should have said the checklist the IOI has you initial at the interview regarding having 30days after license approval to be in compliance before conducting business.

I just found it weird the IOI went to planning. Isn't the proof of local clearance on the licensee to provide or comply with ? Especially when it says to have it prior to conducting business after being approved
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top