BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does SA(or any other manufacturer)throw out a fleet of guns or do they use one or two? Tha could be why the trigger is getting better!

But, I think I gave Art(Shooting Sight)almost $300 and my Tavor has an excellent trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well...it went from having a 7 to 8 lb trigger to right around 5..If it is the same gun..Several tubers used the same type of  trigger gauge yo test the triggerpull..

Does SA(or any other manufacturer)throw out a fleet of guns or do they use one or two? Tha could be why the trigger is getting better!

But, I think I gave Art(Shooting Sight)almost $300 and my Tavor has an excellent trigger.

The trigger could be wearing in, but it still isn't a good look to have a new rifle go from an 8lb trigger to a 5lb in a matter of a couple thousand rounds...yes, the trigger may feel better, but I would be concerned at a 30%+ reduction in trigger weight and wonder what other performance metrics are going to change over time.  

Also, the accuracy reports from TFB and Sootch both had a tendency to have a nice 4 round group with one flyer...almost every single group shown.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Is anyone reputable taking pre-orders for this?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The trigger could be wearing in, but it still isn't a good look to have a new rifle go from an 8lb trigger to a 5lb in a matter of a couple thousand rounds...yes, the trigger may feel better, but I would be concerned at a 30%+ reduction in trigger weight and wonder what other performance metrics are going to change over time.  

Also, the accuracy reports from TFB and Sootch both had a tendency to have a nice 4 round group with one flyer...almost every single group shown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well...it went from having a 7 to 8 lb trigger to right around 5..If it is the same gun..Several tubers used the same type of  trigger gauge yo test the triggerpull..

Yea I caught that too.   My MDRx does the same thing.  The thing is, it reliably does it.  Same issue, the barrel isn't really that secure, so sometimes it holds good, and sometimes it throws one wild.  Trust me, don't discount that flyer as an oddity, because it isn't going away.   That said, even with the reliable flyer/group, it wasn't that bad accuracy - certainly very serviceable for what the rifle is.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No AUG is king, also I will be buying one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat but I have zero interest in buying one.

AR is King

No AUG is king, also I will be buying one.

Agree that AUG is Bullpup king
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The ones for the French FAMAS replacement trials didn’t have captured pins. Also had a convex rubber butt pad added.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Metal too soft? Could cause a lighter trigger I guess. Will the groups get bigger?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
According to the YTer below (FYI, Texas Plinking's 2nd channel), the rifles are all different.
They were given the rifles to keep after the review.
I did see a reviewer's Hellion rifle listed on GB with starting at $3k and "buy now" at $4k. That rifle was sold, and the channel is "715 Tactical".
NightForce participated in the same program, which is why everyone is getting the same scope.

Springfield Armory Hellion Review - VHS-2 For Us Normies
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:05:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
According to the YTer below (FYI, Texas Plinking's 2nd channel), the rifles are all different.
I did see a reviewer's Hellion rifle listed on GB with starting at $3k and "buy now" at $4k. That rifle was sold, and the channel is "715 Tactical".
NightForce participated in the same program, which is why everyone is getting the same scope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHAGDGO2uQ
View Quote

If that's true, I think it's a tall order to believe all of these "reviewers" are being objective. Hopefully it's a good gun, but until someone actually buys one and can give a more unbiased report, I think caution is appropriate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 3:00:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Idk, Ian is pretty damn objective. He has no problem making manufacturers uncomfortable with his critiques, even when they ask him for them.

That being said, I find it interesting that GarandThumb hasn’t posted his vid yet. I have zero doubt that he was also given a review rifle, as he is one of the big names in the youtube tactical rifle crowd.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was the 4K with the night force scope and mount?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Was the 4K with the night force scope and mount?
View Quote

IIRC the scope and mount wasn't included.
A friend linked me the auction at midnight of the release and when I checked yesterday, the auction wasn't listed anymore.
I'm assuming the gun got sold with a buy now of $4k.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If that's true, I think it's a tall order to believe all of these "reviewers" are being objective. Hopefully it's a good gun, but until someone actually buys one and can give a more unbiased report, I think caution is appropriate.
View Quote

Yeah, I am well aware of how things are on YouTube. It is pretty much a new advertisement platform for celebs and companies.
I think at least the gun is already being used by a few military and other groups/agencies so there are some track records of how the gun will do.
It isn't a new gun per se, though yes, it is a new gun on the US market with slight changes.

I'll be getting one for sure. Hopefully the crazy over the MSRP prices will come down soon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
715 Tactical...I JUST HOPE he has a FFL because if he is profiteering off firearms sales...well...knock knock knock...

It is one thing to move firearms around as a non-licensee to further your personal collection but it is a whole other bag of worms once a non-licensee starts to profit off firearms sales...
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Will likely buy one. Going to need to find a grip that is closer to original factory one. I really hope someone imports the original factory optic carry handle. Love the looks of it. Springfield would be smart to offer it but I suspect they won’t. Maybe some importer’s will.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Idk, Ian is pretty damn objective. He has no problem making manufacturers uncomfortable with his critiques, even when they ask him for them.
View Quote

Agreed.  The only YT'er whose opinion I really, really take confidently is Ians and he really enjoyed the rifle.  Everyone else is going to simp for the gun in some form I feel like.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw a video about that auction.  The seller, who 'reviewed' the gun stated there were only like 100 rounds through the gun or something too haha.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

These guys are getting free rifles to keep?? What does it take to become a YouTube reviewer lol? I feel like that would be pretty sweet deal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Agreed.  The only YT'er whose opinion I really, really take confidently is Ians and he really enjoyed the rifle.  Everyone else is going to simp for the gun in some form I feel like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked Ian's take on it best. However, this thing is right up his ally with it basically being a modernized FAMAS/G36.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, I thought I spent a lot for my AUG at $1,800.  Multiple sellers on GunBroker listing these around $3,000 right now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Buying into the frenzy is so idiotic...those same people in 3 months will try and sell it for $3500 when retailers are going back to normal prices at MSRP or slightly below...
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Got any photos of that version with the carry handle optic?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's the K model:
And the longer D model:  
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Buying into the frenzy is so idiotic...those same people in 3 months will try and sell it for $3500 when retailers are going back to normal prices at MSRP or slightly below...
View Quote

I agree.  One would have to want one pretty bad to pay that much over MSRP.  Marlin/Ruger 1895 SBL's are like that now too and I recently watched plain-Jane Henry 45/70 rifles go for over $1800?  Looks like it is still going on with the Springfield Hi-Power clone on GB.  Bids just below $1k with time to spare.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, so true

I will say this. They certainly did the release right. Unlike some other manufacturers that have done “soft releases” with barely any publicity.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]
The "K" looks like an AUG due to scope in handle but the pewpewpew slot on the safety makes me think "no way, no how" but dang it looks so nice!
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The "K" looks like an AUG due to scope in handle but the pewpewpew slot on the safety makes me think "no way, no how" but dang it looks so nice!
View Quote

Yeah, they don't have pictures of the integrated optic for the Hellion yet, but it is just a top rail replacement. If you get a railed model, you can swap it for the integrated optic once you break the rifle down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder how well it holds zero since you have to separate the optic rail from the rest of the gun to fully break it down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I agree.  One would have to want one pretty bad to pay that much over MSRP.  Marlin/Ruger 1895 SBL's are like that now too and I recently watched plain-Jane Henry 45/70 rifles go for over $1800?  Looks like it is still going on with the Springfield Hi-Power clone on GB.  Bids just below $1k with time to spare.
View Quote

The SA-35 sellers better cash in quickly...EAA is importing a Hi-Power clone that appears to be a carbon copy of SA's, but it uses regular Hi-Power sights.  Also, there's rumors circulating that FN might refit the tooling and bring back real Hi-Powers...if they could do that at a fair price, who would want a clone wannabe?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The SA-35 sellers better cash in quickly...EAA is importing a Hi-Power clone that appears to be a carbon copy of SA's, but it uses regular Hi-Power sights.  Also, there's rumors circulating that FN might refit the tooling and bring back real Hi-Powers...if they could do that at a fair price, who would want a clone wannabe?
View Quote

Wasnt FN selling high powers for like $800? I am not a hi power guy, but if a real high power cost more, has a terrible magazine safety and a terrible trigger, thats a lot of reason to go somewhere else
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's the K model: https://i.imgur.com/FI5Cpft.png
And the longer D model:  https://i.imgur.com/YtuAJIr.png
View Quote
I don't get why the US doesn't get the grooved barrel like the original. And I don't think it has anything to do with rifle grenades
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't get why the US doesn't get the grooved barrel like the original. And I don't think it has anything to do with rifle grenades
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost cutting measure probably, less machining time for the barrels.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Will most likely buy one at msrp , I like it except for it's lack of a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

For me, I'm glad they got rid of the grooved barrel. Don't much care for how it looks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wasnt FN selling high powers for like $800? I am not a hi power guy, but if a real high power cost more, has a terrible magazine safety and a terrible trigger, thats a lot of reason to go somewhere else
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before they gave up, new FNs were $900.  I love the HP design, but it’s not a $900 gun.  If they’re going to come back in at that price point, they shouldn’t even bother.  Maybe purists would buy them but it’s a small market up there.

Competition and choice are good.  I have two FNs, the Springfield, and I want the teased EAA version with the rail.  If having to worry about the other guys keeps innovation alive and pricing aggressive, it benefits us.

I do hope that the VHS production is sufficient to fill demand before long.  Having lived through two years of console and GPU shortages with associated scalpers makes me somewhat nervous.  But the prices on the VHS are higher so there’s a huge upfront cost on top of the ATF taking a dim view of non-FFLs flipping for profit.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Cost cutting measure probably, less machining time for the barrels.
View Quote

Are the grooves there to facilitate rifle grenades? If so I wonder if they had to get rid of them for some sporting purposes compliance thing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Are the grooves there to facilitate rifle grenades? If so I wonder if they had to get rid of them for some sporting purposes compliance thing.
View Quote

Ribbed for your pleasure?

My wild guess, they’re similar to the finned barrels on the 1927/1928 Thompsons, to aid in cooling the barrel by increasing surface area to radiate heat.  Nice idea, but an easy cost-cutting measure when they went to the simplified M1 Thompson.  Since it’s a semi-auto carbine, the “need” for the increased cooling isn’t as strong and deleting them saves on machining time (and time is money!).

There is a chance that the grooves may trigger the ATF as “non-sporting” but they aren’t explicitly defined in the rules that came out of the 89 import ban.  I’d lean towards cost as the primary factor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Before they gave up, new FNs were $900.  I love the HP design, but it’s not a $900 gun.  If they’re going to come back in at that price point, they shouldn’t even bother.  Maybe purists would buy them but it’s a small market up there.

Competition and choice are good.  I have two FNs, the Springfield, and I want the teased EAA version with the rail.  If having to worry about the other guys keeps innovation alive and pricing aggressive, it benefits us.

I do hope that the VHS production is sufficient to fill demand before long.  Having lived through two years of console and GPU shortages with associated scalpers makes me somewhat nervous.  But the prices on the VHS are higher so there’s a huge upfront cost on top of the ATF taking a dim view of non-FFLs flipping for profit.  We shall see.
View Quote

They were $900 because FN/Browning could get that for them.  Now that there's competition, I would expect them to be priced at a premium, but just enough to say, "I'm worth more because I'm the original"...so if the MSRP of the others was $700 I would think that they'd be in the $750-$800 range.  The honest reviews of the SA-35 were much less rosy and rah-rah than the paid reviewers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Rifle grenades have a 22mm bore, which matches the OD of an A1/A2 flash hider (or any other NATO standard flash hider).  Since the barrel is smaller diameter than the flash hider, it would not interface with the grenade and not effect rifle grenade performance.

It's for surface area/cooling or to look cool, but not for rifle grenades.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#39]
My guess is the barrel is US made along with the pistol grip, handguard and magazine for 6 US parts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My guess is the barrel is US made along with the pistol grip, handguard and magazine for 6 US parts.
View Quote

Barrel is likely not U.S. made. Flashider however, probably is U.S. made.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#41]
This is no way any different than IWI bringing in the Tavors...the barreled action is Croatian along with the receiver...

Small parts that need compliance with 922r such as disconnector, flash hider, pistol grip etc are US made...
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Northwest Armory sent an email Friday night they had them, was a touch over 1700. By the time I got through the checkout it was out of stock already
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Northwest Armory sent an email Friday night they had them, was a touch over 1700. By the time I got through the checkout it was out of stock already
View Quote

That's a great price considering what they're going for on GB. Didn't think anyone would be selling under MSRP already.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I kind of want one of these. I need to watch more videos. I have a Tavor Sar, X95, AUG and a Kel-Tec KSG (hoping to add a KS7 to my collection sometime) and I used to own a RDB. I kind of miss the RDB. I just didn’t like adjusting the gas settings. I want a rifle that I don’t have to do that to.

Hopefully the market calms down soon and we can get these under or way under MSRP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#45]
You know...Ive had an RDB since it came out..Ive only adjusted the gas 1x..Never needed to adjust it going from 50gr-75gr..
The only alternate setting I have is for steel case and thats cuz steel case is kinda poopy..

If you had said RFB that would make more sense as there alot more variance in pressures for the available 308/762x51 rounds.
Some Weak surplus..Hot Surplus..Steel cased and Match..but I digress..

I wonder how the Hellion handles poopy steel cased..
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#46]
The ribbed barrel is the same as on the FAMAS and the VHS-2 in the French FAMAS replacement trials. It’s for launching the French rifle grenades. That’s why you also see that collar on the barrel. I think it moves a bit. Maybe it allows you to somehow change the range of the grenade depending where you put I on the barrel. Also would probably trigger ATF “non sporting purpose”.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't the fixed optic a 1.5x? A few people are calling it an RDS, but I don't know if that's correct or not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Isn't the fixed optic a 1.5x? A few people are calling it an RDS, but I don't know if that's correct or not.
View Quote

The site says a 1.5x red dot so maybe it's an illuminated prism optic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I kind of want one of these. I need to watch more videos. I have a Tavor Sar, X95, AUG and a Kel-Tec KSG (hoping to add a KS7 to my collection sometime) and I used to own a RDB. I kind of miss the RDB. I just didn’t like adjusting the gas settings. I want a rifle that I don’t have to do that to.

Hopefully the market calms down soon and we can get these under or way under MSRP.
View Quote

The post above yours said they were listing uner MSRP already.

I think that's because 'pups are sitting, maybe sinking is a better term.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's a great price considering what they're going for on GB. Didn't think anyone would be selling under MSRP already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry OlympicArmsFan, it was a couple above your post.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top