User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#1]
How does it do suppressed will be important
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a bullpup fan.  I'm in...now to save the money.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope they eventually bring in the integrated optic carry handle. Also the 19" barrel version would be cool to see.
View Quote

Same here. The full size with integrated RD is my favorite.
That said, I've been waiting for this gun for a few years and I just can't wait anymore

More than likely will buy one when they hit the shelves.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I watched the recoiltv review(w/sound, watching the tfb version, now with sound; at least the host has long pants on!).
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gun Jesus had done a video of the VHS2 couple of months ago. Basically, this model was designed for the FAMAS replacement but gotten beaten by the 416.
View Quote

The first Gun Jesus video is up on the civvie version, good watch.

What a shit name though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The first Gun Jesus video is up on the civvie version, good watch.

What a shit name though.
View Quote

Agree on the stupid name.  But then again, this is SA a company not known for their native intelligence.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like they are already a few on gunbroker. For retarded scalper prices of $3000-$4000 though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
looks amazing, I am happy we finally are going to get these in the states. Hopefully I will be able to get on sometime this year... looking good Springfield keep it coming....
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll wait a year to see how this shakes out but I am game to get it...
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
As a lefty, this is something I'd be interested in.  I love true ambi-guns, but they're so few.  When I heard about the Beretta ARX 100 being one, I was all over it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
i dislike it.

looks like a lego and erector set.

too many lines, angles.

AUG for me!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll wait a year to see how this shakes out but I am game to get it...
View Quote
Same here.  There is a lot of thought in this gun but let's see if it's a bit too busy for its own good.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Same here.  There is a lot of thought in this gun but let's see if it's a bit too busy for its own good.
View Quote

There is one thing that I want to see feedback from unpaid (that is they didn't get a freebie demo gun from SA) reviewers; how does the bolt release feel/function when wearing heavy gloves or if the rifle is wet/snowy?  Added to that, how easy is it to operate the charging handle under the same conditions with heavy gloves?  Granted, I'm not living in the Great North Woods, but I have gone shooting when the dog refused to go out for a walk because it was so cold, and none of the guns I usually shoot (several bolt guns, MDRx, AR, and AK) have any issues.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like this is on my saving money list now. Someone needs to make a new safety selector ASAP though. Looks like just adjusting the thumb shelf part would fix some of the issues videos complain about. Looking at you manticore arms makers of neat bullpup accessories [img]/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Any idea what street price will be with the $1999 MSRP?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd guess on par with the AUG & Tavor at around $1699-$1799.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Waiting for this plus mil/le discount somewhere...
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Springfield guns street price is usually around 80% of MSRP, which will put it around $1600 one the initial rush wears off. Which makes sense putting it right in line with the AUG and Tavor. I think I might be a buyer at that price. I like that it has a suppressed gas setting which is one feature the Tavor and AUG do not have.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#20]
$1,999 not bad.  I'll be in for one at that price.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is one thing that I want to see feedback from unpaid (that is they didn't get a freebie demo gun from SA) reviewers; how does the bolt release feel/function when wearing heavy gloves or if the rifle is wet/snowy?  Added to that, how easy is it to operate the charging handle under the same conditions with heavy gloves?  Granted, I'm not living in the Great North Woods, but I have gone shooting when the dog refused to go out for a walk because it was so cold, and none of the guns I usually shoot (several bolt guns, MDRx, AR, and AK) have any issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good observations.  The safety lever doesn't impress me BUT that is addressable by the aftermarket community.  The bolt release might be a bit more of a challenge.

I am definitely not a fan of the G36 charging handle BUT that is generally immaterial once your weapon is loaded and running.  A lot of folks didn't initially like the M16 style of charging handle either but that has become a non issue, too.

ETA: NO manual bolt hold open.  This might be a problem for some.  I am on the fence with MHO and bullpups.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Ian is not known for mincing his words, even if a manufacturer is seeking his review. I trust his opinions.

https://youtu.be/933flAYW4Z4

He said he will also do a shooting competition with it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems like it does pretty good -- apparently better than the awful AUG (awful suppressed).

Springfield Armory Hellion - (VHS-2 Rifle)
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I was hoping for an MSRP of about $1500. Now they are street price of $1600 (maybe) and probably another $200-$300 to get a decent trigger (if even possible).

My enthusiasm is waning
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was hoping for an MSRP of about $1500. Now they are street price of $1600 (maybe) and probably another $200-$300 to get a decent trigger (if even possible).

My enthusiasm is waning
View Quote

That MSRP wasn't ever going to happen...MSRP is bang on where it needs to be...its between the Tavor and Desert Tech...

It will be a while before a trigger is released...from the looks of it...it really only needs lighter springs...

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I'm kind of into it.  So far at least, its still early.
I do wish they didn't give it such a dipshit name though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seems like it does pretty good -- apparently better than the awful AUG (awful suppressed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcv6kNT8Sww
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using it with an OSS suppressor doesn't really tell you much. The super low back pressure makes them work on anything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My enthusiasm is waning
View Quote

There are some on GB for $1k+ over MSRP right now
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well, I'm kind of into it.  So far at least, its still early.
I do wish they didn't give it such a dipshit name though.
View Quote

GRIP ZONE!!!!

But yeah that video with it suppressed is an OSS can. It does have a suppressor setting instead of a grenade launcher setting so it looks like they thought about it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#31]
It seems like in terms of being a combat reliable ambidextrous bullpup, the VHS is what the DT MDR was advertised to be, but poorly executed. I mean, it’s definitely military fielded, combat proven and rugged. And from what we have seen so far with the TFB review, I don’t doubt that. I expect this to be a high-quality rifle worth the cost. I think he got 1.5 inches at 100 yards using regular ammo.

The bolt release should be easy to mod.

That being said, I’m not really interested in it because I am completely satisfied with my AUG. I think the only other rifle that would interest me would be the EF88, if that ever became available. But it is cool to see the market expanding. It seems like they deliberately read all the criticisms about bullpups and went down the list addressing them for this rifle. Hopefully this quiets many of the naysayers and increases the bullpup consumer market. I also do wonder what the US military was doing with them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my AUG but I’ll be honest I’m pretty interested in this thing. If there’s room in the budget after I build out an mkmachining bullpup bolt action, I’m getting one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Would rather have a different bullpup...

Pepperidge farm remembers
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#34]
The US military uses them for cross training since Iraqi forces uses them…
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gotta be the first kid on the block to have one.

I will just wait.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The US military uses them for cross training since Iraqi forces uses them…
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#37]
The more I read, the more I like. I might consider flipping my CQC AUG for one of these, assuming initial user reports don't have any glaring deficiencies.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, no.  My LGS has a couple on order, and one will be mine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#39]
That safety looks horrible from a shape and design stand point.

The mag release and bolt release look to be in awkward positions so I really want to handle one before I make any call on if I want one. The bolt release might be moot if the charge handle is easy to use.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ll buy one once the gotta have it NOW crowd gets theirs and prices cool. This looks very promising but if it doesn’t suit me then it’ll end up like my tavors, sent off to a more appreciative buyer. I’m optimistic about it though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i dislike it.

looks like a lego and erector set.

too many lines, angles.

AUG for me!
View Quote

It certainly doesn’t look well thought out aesthetically.

The LOP looks long too or maybe it’s just my eyes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The length of pull looks very long on it
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.

I want to like it though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

I want to like it though.
View Quote

The gun looks enormous...
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Did they have the drunk guy figure out the pistol grip attachment angle?

Attachment Attached File

I like everything but the long length of pull (it at least looks over 16") the rail with the relatively high sights looks to high, even with the cheek riser....not to mention how the scope sits.

Love the rail, the charging handle, the forearm, the ejection........
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I watched several reviews so far and not one person has measured the length of pull?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#46]
There are some things I dont particularly like, but Im hoping aftermarket will help solve some of that in time.

$2000 MSRP is about what I expected, so no surprise there.

Honestly, as much as I wanted the SA-35, I was hesitant because of some reviews about QC issues, and I just didnt want to buy from Springfield new. Im gonna wait for a time, for either more reviews and kinks to be discovered, or for the second hand market to show up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Here is the other thing that seems odd to me.

Look how far back the sight rail starts in relation the the pistol grip.

If you shoot nose to charging handle on an AR, you are a bit f#@&×d.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Fixed it for you.  You are welcome

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Alabama Arsenal just uploaded a short clip of him shooting one with a CGS Helios. Seems to run great with it and the Helios looks really good on this rifle too.

Springfield Armory Hellion #Shorts
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow! that LOP is extremely long for a Bullpup.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top