Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I am going to inquire today about getting one of these.  I love factory (no engraving) SBR's.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am going to inquire today about getting one of these.  I love factory (no engraving) SBR's.
View Quote
Unfortunately Pete posted on the Bullpup forum this project is DOA.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Something else an AUG nerd might find interesting is that a batch of US made castings were recently rejected from the source, leading to Steyr Mannlicher sending over a small amount of Austrian "SWD" castings to hold over steyr USA. These are A1/A2 type castings not seen in the USA for ~25 years. They're just now available for sale as complete guns.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Not being super knowledgeable in the ways of AUG I pulled out my M1 to compare it to this picture. Wow they look completely different! The US receiver looks like it's billet vs the cast Austrian?

That got me thinking. Aside from collectability, is there an advantage to the cast part vs the billiet? Why doesn't Steyr USA just use the Austrian ones all the time? Why go to the trouble of creating a whole new type of receiver? I don't know how much more expensive the Austrian raw casts are but it had to cost money to develop and tool up to create the billet receivers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Billet just means CNC time. They don't have to ship raw castings from Austria if they CNC from billet.

Does the cast receiver weigh less? That'd be an advantage.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Hats off to Pete for trying.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up my AUG A3 M1 today (my first bullpup too!) and it also has a SWD casting. Serial# 13USAXXX

Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there a weight difference between the two receivers?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is there a weight difference between the two receivers?
View Quote
If I have time today I will weigh the 2 and post it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top