User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2017 1:08:28 PM EDT
This NEW Keltec looks very odd.RDB-S
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This NEW Keltec looks very odd.RDB-S
View Quote

I think this announced some time ago. Basically it's designed to fit in a backpack be lightweight etc... I mean I think they basically came up with another way to make the CA compliant ones be more reasonable in other markets? I don't know I'm still waiting on the damn M43!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think this announced some time ago. Basically it's designed to fit in a backpack be lightweight etc... I mean I think they basically came up with another way to make the CA compliant ones be more reasonable in other markets? I don't know I'm still waiting on the damn M43!
View Quote
And I'm still waiting on the standard 20in RDB...

About time for KelTec to announce about 20 new guns that aren't available, you know...

Forrest
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
They've teased this one for awhile, unless I'm missing something this isn't new right? I've been very interested in it for its size and weight, and will definitely buy one whenever they end up finally releasing it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree. There is a review of one like that but without that goofy front sight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They should have integrated that front sight onto the rail.  

Other than that I really dig the kind unique and funky look of it (and for the record I have handled it and it handles better than you would imagine)

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
The front site folds down flat, so it's even with the rail. It can also be removed so you can add a suppressor or other muzzle device.
Watch this video at the 4:13 mark:

RDB-S video

I love the concept. I will get one.

eta - it was supposed to be released in the 3rd qtr. of this year, but we're already in the 4th qtr., so...
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I played with one at the NRAAM, they're amazingly compact, OAL with the stock collapsed is like 24.5".
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I played with one at the NRAAM, they're amazingly compact, OAL with the stock collapsed is like 24.5".
View Quote
Are you sure it's 24.5"? That would make it an SBR. I have an RDB and it's about 26.1 "
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think you are confused about which Kel Tec gun we are talking about- this is the california legal bullpup (that doesn't have a collapsing stock...)

It states right in the specs it is 26.1" long.

With their naming conventions, I get confused too- Ketltec is a big fan of the "three letter alphabet soup" names.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Forrest
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the RDB-S does have a rear stock that slides backwards.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't mind installing the S handguard on my standard RDB if it came in black.  It's shorter, maybe slimmer, and has no rail on the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you sure it's 24.5"? That would make it an SBR. I have an RDB and it's about 26.1 "
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's measured for length with the collapsable stock in the open position.

Quoted:

I think you are confused about which Kel Tec gun we are talking about- this is the california legal bullpup (that doesn't have a collapsing stock...)

It states right in the specs it is 26.1" long.

With their naming conventions, I get confused too- Ketltec is a big fan of the "three letter alphabet soup" names.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
The model linked in the OP looks like the regular survival not a California model. I asked the Kel-Tec rep about the length as it looked to be shorter than 26" and he told me that it was and the ATF took the OAL with the stock extended. It would make sense there would be a CA specific model but there also seems to be a regular survival with the shorter OAL.

ETA: Looking over at the Kel-Tec forum it looks like the Cali model will be the RDB-C, the S is 24.5".
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's measured for length with the collapsable stock in the open position.

The model linked in the OP looks like the regular survival not a California model. I asked the Kel-Tec rep about the length as it looked to be shorter than 26" and he told me that it was and the ATF took the OAL with the stock extended. It would make sense there would be a CA specific model but there also seems to be a regular survival with the shorter OAL.

ETA: Looking over at the Kel-Tec forum it looks like the Cali model will be the RDB-C, the S is 24.5".
View Quote
So with this logic keltec should  put the same stock on an RDB model and make it shorter. Bullpups already have longer trigger length of pulls so a shortened collapsible stock would make it even more compact. I am surprised no other bullpup designs have tried to do this.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
This is going to be my next rifle. It hits almost every spec on my wishlist

Lightweight
Traditional grip
AR mags
Simple
Good trigger
Adjustable gas
Brass catcher
12 o'clock rail
Tiny OAL
16" barrel
Suppressor friendly

Reliability/durability will have to be proven, a's well as accuracy. But based on the RDBs out there seems like it should hit the mark barring QC issues

I'll add an aluminum fore end (would be rad if someone could figure out a free floated one) and a qd cup on the stock and it really will be my grail gun

At that point the only thing I'd want to change would be a 12 o'clock thumb safety right at the base of the rail

Granted I haven't even seen one if thsee in person yet, let alone touched or shot one
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:I don't know I'm still waiting on the damn M43!
View Quote
You and I both.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is going to be my next rifle. It hits almost every spec on my wishlist

Lightweight
Traditional grip
AR mags
Simple
Good trigger
Adjustable gas
Brass catcher
12 o'clock rail
Tiny OAL
16" barrel
Suppressor friendly

Reliability/durability will have to be proven, a's well as accuracy. But based on the RDBs out there seems like it should hit the mark barring QC issues

I'll add an aluminum fore end (would be rad if someone could figure out a free floated one) and a qd cup on the stock and it really will be my grail gun

At that point the only thing I'd want to change would be a 12 o'clock thumb safety right at the base of the rail

Granted I haven't even seen one if thsee in person yet, let alone touched or shot one
View Quote
I'm with you on this. I haven't been this excited for a gun release since - ever. I can't wait til I can finally hold my own in my hands.

Yeah, I have a dull life.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I mentioned earlier about wanting the RDB/S handguard to swap out my standard RDB.  (If I can get a black one)

I asked KelTec if they would interchange and got this reply:

"As of now, the RDB-S and standard RDB hand guards are not compatible. The RDB barrel assembly is almost 2 inches shorter which puts the attachment point that much further back."

If you count the rail slots from the rear mounting studs to the front handguard pin, there are 21 slots between those points on either model.   Also the RDB has a longer barrel than the S ~ (17.3" vs 16.1").

I messaged back these details and asked if they could please double check that.  The message was read Tuesday, but I haven't received a reply.  I'll update if I hear anything.

I may be completely wrong, but it looks to me like they should interchange.  It just makes sense really, plus it measures out.   If anyone is ever able to get hands on and confirm this for sure, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I mentioned earlier about wanting the RDB/S handguard to swap out my standard RDB.  (If I can get a black one)

I asked KelTec if they would interchange and got this reply:

"As of now, the RDB-S and standard RDB hand guards are not compatible. The RDB barrel assembly is almost 2 inches shorter which puts the attachment point that much further back."

If you count the rail slots from the rear mounting studs to the front handguard pin, there are 21 slots between those points on either model.   Also the RDB has a longer barrel than the S ~ (17.3" vs 16.1").

I messaged back these details and asked if they could please double check that.  The message was read Tuesday, but I haven't received a reply.  I'll update if I hear anything.

I may be completely wrong, but it looks to me like they should interchange.  It just makes sense really, plus it measures out.   If anyone is ever able to get hands on and confirm this for sure, I'd appreciate it.
View Quote
The piston assembly looks identical...I highly doubt KT changed the location of the gas port and subsequently the position of the gas block, cut the gas piston rod and just to shave off 1.2 inches off the barrel. The part that looks incompatible is the area just over the trigger guard
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't believe some of you are actually interested in this....have you never learned your Kel-Tec lesson?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  I can't believe some of you are actually interested in this....have you never learned your Kel-Tec lesson?
View Quote
That they've been putting out innovative guns since the dark days of the AWB that are funky, have lots of plastic, are shorter & lighter than anything else on the market, and piss off Fudds?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't believe some of you are actually interested in this....have you never learned your Kel-Tec lesson?
View Quote
Three guns so far. No hard lessons to learn as of yet. KSG required some minor tweaking on my end to make me happy, but the other two are great.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I just want them to free float the handguard on the RDB, and maybe offer it in other calibers like 6.5G and/or .308 like they've been saying they will do for a while.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Sub2k , KSG and RDB are great weapons. 3 fo 3 with Keltec ime
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Wait for Gen2"?  Yep, and it's my DT MDR lesson, and my SIG P320 lesson, and....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top