Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2017 12:09:49 AM EDT
Hey, new gun owner here. Thinking of buying an RDB survival version when it launches but I'm wondering how the rifle does with certain malfunctions. With the RDB's rear ejection how do you deal with malfunctions involving stuck cases or other ejection related problems while in the field? I've watched some videos and it seemed like most obstruction or ejection related problems would need the rifle to be disassembled. Are there any other practical solutions to these problems that don't require disassembly? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Other than running some steel case under gassed I haven't had a single failiure. Having said that the ejection port is large (imo too large without having a dust cover of some kind but that's another topic). Because it's very long and deep whenever I've had a failiure I've just run the charging handle several times and it has cleared itself. There is also a lot of room if you remove the magazine too to get in there and clear things out without having to take the rifle apart. Is it ideal? No but it's not all that bad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know it was large enough to get in there. Haven't handled one in person yet. None of my local dealers have one. This makes me feel a lot better about it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well damn man if you were closer down my way you could come by and shoot mine! Anyway like I said it's not ideal but you can work with it. I wish they had come up with a double door hinged dust cover for the ejection port honestly...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw one at a local dealer (Freedom Armory) here in PA...but I try not to deal with them as they are "MSRP only" when it comes to pricing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a Kel tec supporter but a lot of their stuff is for beta testers to buy.  

I think if you are a first time gun owner there are other better choices in bullpups for similar money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think if you are a first time gun owner there are other better choices in bullpups for similar money.
View Quote
I've stated my issues with Kel tec before but I think you are 100% wrong on the better choices for similar money mark. When on sale the RDB's have dropped to $899 from a few vendors in the past if I recall correctly. You will not find any other bullpup offering for that cheap that isn't some rifle stuffed in a janky aftermarket stock.

I like my tavors I have 2 of them, I also am very wary of Kel tec from past experiences but if they came out with a gen 2 that allowed the user to swap the pistol grip with any aftermarket ar grip, added a dustcover over the ejection port, tweaked it so any AR barrel with certain gas lengths could be used with a proprietary gas block to interface with the piston, and had either a free float handguard or a aftermarket company offering one I would be willing to plop money down and give them a chance to redeem themselves in my eyes. Hell the barrel thing wouldn't even be a necessity just a damn nice feature. Oh you want a pencil barrel you can do that oh you want a long heavy match grade barrel for some reason go ahead. The base design definitely has potential to grow even though most reviews I've come across are generally positive about it as is already.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've stated my issues with Kel tec before but I think you are 100% wrong on the better choices for similar money mark. When on sale the RDB's have dropped to $899 from a few vendors in the past if I recall correctly. You will not find any other bullpup offering for that cheap that isn't some rifle stuffed in a janky aftermarket stock.

I like my tavors I have 2 of them, I also am very wary of Kel tec from past experiences but if they came out with a gen 2 that allowed the user to swap the pistol grip with any aftermarket ar grip, added a dustcover over the ejection port, tweaked it so any AR barrel with certain gas lengths could be used with a proprietary gas block to interface with the piston, and had either a free float handguard or a aftermarket company offering one I would be willing to plop money down and give them a chance to redeem themselves in my eyes. Hell the barrel thing wouldn't even be a necessity just a damn nice feature. Oh you want a pencil barrel you can do that oh you want a long heavy match grade barrel for some reason go ahead. The base design definitely has potential to grow even though most reviews I've come across are generally positive about it as is already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What other bullpups are there for $1000? I haven't found any that are near that price point but maybe I haven't done enough digging. I really like the X95 and the Tavor but both are way out of my price range.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What other bullpups are there for $1000? I haven't found any that are near that price point but maybe I haven't done enough digging. I really like the X95 and the Tavor but both are way out of my price range.
View Quote
There aren't any
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the RDB for a couple of years now and i can tell you that i have NEVER had a failure to eject i didnt induce on purpose in order to clear it....and when i did clear it...I simply ran the action a couple times and everything fell out. The action of the bolt travels a long way over the mag to the ejection port ( which is HUGE) so there is hardly any way to get into a jammed up situation that a simple racking cant fix
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's more than $1000, but CDNN Sports had the Tavor SAR for $1300 a week ago.  Now, it's back up to $1400.  I suspect we'll see more discounting of the Tavor SAR since it's going to be discontinued.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never had any ejection issues with mine. Also, something most don't realize until they handle one, the rear ejection give the action a ridiculously long travel. Aside from foreign debris, I don't know how you could jam the thing up. Picture this, with the bolt all the way back, you could stack a round in the chamber, and two more rounds nose to primer behind it, and still have room to shake it all loose.

Now, if you get a stuck case with torn rim, you're going to have to pop the pins and pull the barrel out. It is a pretty major disadvantage other guns don't share. Good news is I can pop the thing open pull a case out and reassemble in under 10 secs using either a knife or my multi tool. It's not that I've practiced a lot, it's just that it really is easy. As the RDB is my only rifle, I felt I should drill it. I'm sure you could custom bend a pick tool that could be used to pull stuck cases out without disassembly, but you'd probably lose it before you needed it. A ram rod would make more sense at that point.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I also have an RDB and have never had a failure to eject. The RDB is notoriously difficult to jam up due to the way the receiver and ejection chute is shaped. If you do have a stuck casing, simply pulling the charging handle back and shaking it a little is enough to clear it out. The RDB is one of the most, if not the most user friendly 5.56 tactical semi-auto rifle around.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, if you're anywhere near Western Maryland, you are free to handle and shoot my RDB, provided you bring the ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top