Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Being that it is an AR-15 magazine stock, it would not surprise me if they offer it for sale at some point (Lithgow had told me last year they did want to offer an AR-15 mag compatible stock)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I don't think the BR stock looks any better/worse than the AUG mag stock, just different.

Sven
Manticore
View Quote
In fairness, the refined one piece stock they're showing now looks way better than the one that was originally shown with bolted together halves.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
^ That's the one I want
F90MBR.  Hope that stockset is a option.
View Quote
This.

I don't care how many people come at me claiming whatever non-AR mag is superior.  I have AR mags, and enjoy not having to dump hundreds more into magazines.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This.

I don't care how many people come at me claiming whatever non-AR mag is superior.  I have AR mags, and enjoy not having to dump hundreds more into magazines.
View Quote
$17 a mag. Hardly need hundreds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
To each his own but I like most of what is seen in the current MBR pics. The one visible issue I disliske immediately is the short height of the butt plate area itself. The 5.56 round isn't goint to beat anyone to death but the actual area of contact with the shooters shoulder is very short.

In the one photo showing the weapon shouldered and aimed, the butt area is so short that only about a third of the stock is in contact with the shooters shoulder. Making the MBR lighter by a very few ounces while minimizing the area of shoulder contact would to me appear to be a bad trade-off.

It may have been designed specifically with the Asian market in mind but for the average Western shooter, the butt height is too short to easily be shouldered securely without deliberate effort. I am not nearly as concerned with looks as I am functionality personally but the decision the lop off a large area of shoulder contact is curious.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I sort of like the redesigned M16 type magazine stock. The first iteration looked like crap, this one actually isn't so bad. I'd buy one, although the AUG mag stock will be my first and preferred choice.

Admittedly I've only had one AUG NATO stock, a green version that I quickly sold as it offered me nothing over an AUG mag stock. This though not only appears to have the same functionality as their AUG mag stock, but has the added benefit of the AR / x95 type magazine release. I can see Lithgow selling more of the M16 type mag stock over the AUG mag stock.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In fairness, the refined one piece stock they're showing now looks way better than the one that was originally shown with bolted together halves.
View Quote
Agreed, I actually like it now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I am tired of collecting various mags of the caliber.   I want to be able to grab a few rifles & a bunch of mags.  Do not want to make sure I have a few for each rifle.  Also better with non-firearm people that you take shooting.  Yeah AUG mags are great & were cheap at one point but AR mags are pretty great now as well.  & I rather have a ton of those that I can keep everywhere, some loaded, some in vest/carriers/belts/pouches & even cases.

Circle 10 556s, Sig 55X, AUG, MSAR, G36/805 it gets real old trying to collect all those in addition to the common 556 mags. Moving across country with them is a bitch also.  Also when your putting your rifle in a rest sometimes you just prefer a 5/10 rounder.

This MBR nato stock to me looks great & I actually visually appeals to me more than the standard quasi AUG-like stock.  Plus it looks smaller & might be lighter. Has way more sling options - the takedown sling pin, QD cups on both sides & a metal loop at the top of the rear stock. Also bolt release is right therenon both sides as well as index finger mag release on both sides.  Also in all the pics of this stock (early & newer version) there is a prominent shell deflector - not something you see on all of the pics of the standard stock.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:35:03 AM EDT
[#10]
A few additional photos. More can be found at the link

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/09/13/dsei-17-thales-launches-f90-modular-bullpup-rifle/

Quoted:
To each his own but I like most of what is seen in the current MBR pics. The one visible issue I disliske immediately is the short height of the butt plate area itself. The 5.56 round isn't goint to beat anyone to death but the actual area of contact with the shooters shoulder is very short.
View Quote
I agree. The upcoming HK433 also has a short height buttplate. Maybe more armies are requesting them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:18:38 AM EDT
[#11]
What is "the USSOCOM over the beach test"?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is "the USSOCOM over the beach test"?
View Quote
@mcantu

OTB @ Lightfighter

OTB @ HKPRO
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A few additional photos. More can be found at the link

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/09/13/dsei-17-thales-launches-f90-modular-bullpup-rifle/

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/img_4027.jpg

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/img_4022.jpg

I agree. The upcoming HK433 also has a short height buttplate. Maybe more armies are requesting them.
View Quote
This might be a sign of buttstocks adapting to the 20 or so years of mass proliferation of body armor in western countries. The shorter butt could make it easier to get the stock into the shoulder pocket without it also coming into contact with the sapi plate and making it less stable from it wanting to seesaw off the edge of the plate. It's been about 6 years since I regularly wore an IBA though so I may be off point.

Very few civilians shoot with body armor on so it's something they could easily overlook and leave them scratching their heads. Another example of a more recent rifle doing this is the x95 versus the original tavor.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, they let people shoot both their 20" and 16" guns.  Both were full auto samples.

It shoots great, or at least as great as the goofy AUG "pull partway to shoot semi, pull all the way and hang on to shoot full auto" trigger can work.  

We plan to get one in house to play with.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I had a rifle like that and I liked it.
I read somewhere(here or BF)that it makes more sense to have a trigger like that; if one shot isn't enough squeeze further.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had a rifle like that and I liked it.
I read somewhere(here or BF)that it makes more sense to have a trigger like that; if one shot isn't enough squeeze further.
View Quote
Respectfully I'm going to disagree with that assertion. For one it has existed for many decades yet has failed to catch on. Beyond that the need for full auto on a service rifle is so rare I don't think the benifits of having it constantly on tap outweigh its potential downsides.

It makes the trigger heavier service rifles aren't exactly great at providing accurate ranged automatic fire to begin with and adding a significantly heavier pull into that equation makes it even more difficult even under the best of circumstances. Under high stress when your sympathetic nervous system kicks in and the adrenal glands are pumping out epinephrine and norepinephrine like crazy raising your heart rate, constricting your blood vessels, giving you the shakes, and fucking up your fine motor skills there is the possibility of inadvertently going into full auto and at best wasting rounds at worst in say room clearing hitting something you didn't want to. Some argue shooting service rifles in full auto offhand isn't that hard they've done it on a range blah blah blah. Yeah a one way range in a static position with all the time in the world to get a proper stance, not moving and using impromptu stances to fire when necessary. I've done room clearing training with a m249 before same round but the weapon weighs over twice as much so it should have significantly less recoil. It scared me at times I was worried about blowing the barrels off the rifles of one of the guys next to me I was 5'11" 155lbs at the time so not the biggest guy around but guys even larger than me had the same issue. I would not want to do the same scenario with a 8 or 9lb full auto 5.56. All that doesn't even take into account that you usually don't get a huge amount of trigger time in the military let alone running a service rifle in full auto to try and reduce the issues. But that's just my take on the 2 stage full auto feature YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no military experience but have shot a lot of m16s and I had a rifle that would cut loose controllably(as opposed to "dumping the mag" because Gomer didn't assemble the rifle correctly!

I got nervous that the wrong folks would be at the club and yank my membership due to a no full auto anytime policy and then dropping a dime to someone else ending with mikey going away!

The rifle has been returned to the manufacturer, repaired and returned to me.

Bottom line: you all are correct; I had some "in theory" time and some fun and a hair raising experience the first time!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Are there any updates on the F90's availability? Weren't they supposed to start shipping this month?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Not to drift too far OT, but while we are on the subject of triggers, you guys should look into what Bill Geissele designed for the Block III program as far as safety/trigger/full auto functions.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#20]
The one that auto-resets back from AUTO back to SEMI? I don't like that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#21]
So what are the advantages or advances of the Atrax? Is it more accurate than the AUG? Is it as reliable? It's a lil' lighter but not much. What the real selling point here?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#23]
It also has a 5/8" shorter LoP
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Saw something from Lithgow the other day announcing the F90MBR, apparently that's the name for the export "ugly" model.  Looked pretty good compared to the early photos.

Youtube video is pretty cheesy though.

Lithgow Arms F90MBR (Modular Bullpup Rifle )
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Saw something from Lithgow the other day announcing the F90MBR, apparently that's the name for the export "ugly" model.  Looked pretty good compared to the early photos.

Youtube video is pretty cheesy though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5jUxjqIlGg
View Quote
Cheesiest gun ad I've seen in life. I'm in shock
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cheesiest gun ad I've seen in life. I'm in shock
View Quote
I think EAA wins that:

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep, that wins, cringe worthy
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank GOD it's the ugly one.

Now I am not tempted to buy one!!!!!

Dodged that bullet!!!!!!!!!! 

Did NOT dodge this one, however....

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#29]
To those who've shot it: how's the trigger? Apologies if this has been covered.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thank GOD it's the ugly one.

Now I am not tempted to buy one!!!!!

Dodged that bullet!!!!!!!!!! 

Did NOT dodge this one, however....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Full__view-322621.jpg
View Quote
Um, they haven't announced one way or the other yet. The "ugly export model" is meant for overseas military sales. Australia is getting the original and all indications have been that we are as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Um, they haven't announced one way or the other yet. The "ugly export model" is meant for overseas military sales. Australia is getting the original and all indications have been that we are as well.
View Quote
I know I am not the first person to ask.  I wonder what is soooooo hard about it that they can't make it clear?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Everything they show on the website or at exhibitions here is the original. I feel like they're sending a very consistent message
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It is a good theoretical design, one less lever/button, but in practice it sucks.

I can say firsthand it makes for a difficult trigger to get controllable bursts.  You either snap off only one round and the mechanism doesn't go full auto if you don't pull fast enough, or if you puill fast enough there is a fraction of a second pause before it starts going full auto and you have to go through the whole process again just to get another burst off.

The Austrians also refer to what is known as the "rookie pull"  which is the first time in a two way firefight virtually every new guy tries to fire a round and adrenaline makes them pull the trigger and let loose a long burst.  I have a friend who was Army liason with some Austrian troops in Iraq some years ago and experienced this first hand (he was issued an AUG as he was embedded with them for weapon/mag commonality), and the veteran Austrian troops just laughed and said "don't worry, happens to everyone in the first fight"

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I didn't do too bad!
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#36]
- If it does not take stanag/magpul mags it will fail in the US market.

- If it is not accurate it will fail in the US market (I’ve never shot an aug that couldn’t be coaxed to at least 1.5” at 100m however so this shouldn’t be too tough).

They appear to have put a big emphasis on its playing well with supressors and shaving system weight considerably, which will only help (take note steyr).
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
- If it does not take stanag/magpul mags it will fail in the US market.

- If it is not accurate it will fail in the US market (I’ve never shot an aug that couldn’t be coaxed to at least 1.5” at 100m however so this shouldn’t be too tough).

They appear to have put a big emphasis on its playing well with supressors and shaving system weight considerably, which will only help (take note steyr).
View Quote
Most AUGs do not take STANAG mags and it has done fine. The vast majority of AUGs in the US use AUG mags which are readily available and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Most AUGs do not take STANAG mags and it has done fine. The vast majority of AUGs in the US use AUG mags which are readily available and inexpensive.
View Quote
I will respectfully disagree.  The Tavor sold more in one year than the AUG had in decades.  I feel that at least some of that had to be STANAG mags.  And the X95 puts a mag release in a more AR-ish location, and it's selling well enough to justify discontinuing Tavor sales by IWI.

When I still ran a LGS, "it takes the same mags as your AR" was a HUGE selling point to the masses.  And when people who were curious about the AUG/bullpups in general learned that many AUGs took a proprietary mag, or lost LRBHO when in STANAG configuration, they quickly soured on the AUG, and looked at the Tavor/ACR/SCAR/anything else that was different but still uses their same mags.  AUG sales basically died when the Tavor hit the market.

When the "export" version of the F90 hits these shores, I might be interested.  Until then, it's just another curio to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Actual marketing is a hell of a force multiplier and IWI had that going for the Tavor in spades, over the AUG.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lighter, better rail setup in front.  That pretty much covers it.  Basically a fixed barrel AUG with a better rail setup.  Deleting the QD barrel setup means they can beef up the barrel around the chamber area considerably.

If that doesn't float your boat then probably no reason to buy it.  I will say I personally like it and it handles nicely.

There hasn't been any accuracy testing head to head so no one can comment on that yet.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Sven, can you compare it to the CQC AUG? I have one but haven't fired it. It was my first AUG and I bought it when they first came out then put it away so I haven't played with it in a number of years.

Did beefing up the barrel add any weight or did advancements in manufacturing make it that much better plus losing the QD barrel?

Count me in for an AUG magged rifle; I got to use all these mags somewhere!
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Nvrmnd, I watched the vids posted. I want.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#43]
In one of the vids, I think it was Mac's, he almost balanced the Atrax between thumb and forefinger. I don't know if I could hold the CQC with one hand.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In one of the vids, I think it was Mac's, he almost balanced the Atrax between thumb and forefinger. I don't know if I could hold the CQC with one hand.
View Quote
My 16" AUG balances perfectly at the thumb and forefinger with a Surefire in a PupLight mount on the gas block and 42rd loaded mag. Must weigh ~10lbs at that point but the balance is superb.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#45]
I was mainly aiming at my cQC but thanks for that info. PupLight inbound, Crimson trace green laser inbound, trying to find the best deal on the Surefire cause I'm a cheap bastard but soon it will be inbound.

Thank you for your information.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You are a strange individual.
View Quote
I like it too.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

$17 a mag. Hardly need hundreds.
View Quote
I already have AR mags.  I don't have any AUG mags.  

AR mag compatible means I have to buy zero mags.  Non-AR mag gun means I have to buy, at least 10.  And then I have to keep them separate, I have to remember to swap mags in gear when I switch long guns, etc.

I like compatibility.  It's more important to me that things are interchangeable than it is to have the most technically superior design.  Important enough that if it doesn't take an AR mag and it's 5.56.....will not buy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Any idea if they are still on for shipping this month? Always wanted a aug cqc but was too slow to get one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I played with the AUG CQC and was disappointed by the weight. That thing is heavy.
This F90 seems like the ticket to rails in the right places, without any weight penalty.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Any idea if they are still on for shipping this month? Always wanted a aug cqc but was too slow to get one.
View Quote
This. Can I f***ing buy one of these things yet? This has been one of the quietest rollouts for a new rifle I can recall.

At least they're not going full Desert Tech.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top