Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
SRS-A2 is pretty cool...too bad they dont offer it in LH.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like microtech OTF knives, they're a much better knife than my mini infidel, but I'll never buy a microtech because I've seen too much BS from them. I have the same convictions with desert tech. They might have some great performing bolt guns but I will never own anything DT due to everything to date. You can't unsee it once your eyes have been opened.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The really good news is that it will be impossible to screw up a gas system on the SRS A2
View Quote
How many Indian MIM parts are in that one?

Don't worry, you'll undoubtedly receive the same fine customer service they've shown MDR owners... which is why I walked away from the Delphi Tech bolt gun I had in my hands.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where have you seen this information stating that the barrel extension needs to be opened up?   The last I remember seeing from the Bullpup forums is ES Tactical gets the barrel extensions and gas blocks from DT.

The only people I have seen that has the bigger extractor is from InRange and a guy from YouTube with a recent 6.5creedmoore barrel from ES Tactical and he said nothing about modding his rifle.  Only other person I can think of with a bigger extractor is Garandthumb, he did not say anything about a different extractor. Just that he received a new bolt from DT.

Where is this information your getting saying that they will need to be modified?
View Quote
Mr. Smith from ES Tactical stated on the Facebook MDR owners group that he is looking into what needs to be done in order to make the new extractors compatible with his conversion kit.  If people aren't already followers of the group you should if you are interested in the MDR as it seems to have the most info and hands on impressions out of all the sites I have seen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How many Indian MIM parts are in that one?  

Don't worry, you'll undoubtedly receive the same fine customer service they've shown MDR owners... which is why I walked away from the Delphi Tech bolt gun I had in my hands.
View Quote
The bolt and barrel extension, for two.

No, really.

More seriously, the MIM isn't the problem... it's not fracturing, it's not physically the wrong size, the quality of the MIM they're using is fine. The problem I have with it is that due to the massive minimum order (relative to a niche firearms manufacturer) is large enough that it's been able to preclude rapid prototyping and changes. When you have to order a thousand of a given part, changing it up becomes more cost than it's worth. I figure that's why they've had to do so much damage control, sadly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The bolt and barrel extension, for two.

No, really.

More seriously, the MIM isn't the problem... it's not fracturing, it's not physically the wrong size, the quality of the MIM they're using is fine. The problem I have with it is that due to the massive minimum order (relative to a niche firearms manufacturer) is large enough that it's been able to preclude rapid prototyping and changes. When you have to order a thousand of a given part, changing it up becomes more cost than it's worth. I figure that's why they've had to do so much damage control, sadly.
View Quote
Oh I agree completely, though I'd word it slightly differently: it's not the fact that the parts are made by the MIM process that's the problem...

On S&W 3rd gens I look for the MIM fire control parts because they were better finished than the shoddy machining S&W was doing trying to get costs down.

I think many of us are on the same page that DT is locked into "Version 1" parts by virtue of having to place such massive orders to get the cost savings of MIM.  Either they take a huge loss on the parts or they try and do retrofit machining - seems clear they're going with the latter
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh I agree completely, though I'd word it slightly differently: it's not the fact that the parts are made by the MIM process that's the problem...

On S&W 3rd gens I look for the MIM fire control parts because they were better finished than the shoddy machining S&W was doing trying to get costs down.

I think many of us are on the same page that DT is locked into "Version 1" parts by virtue of having to place such massive orders to get the cost savings of MIM.  Either they take a huge loss on the parts or they try and do retrofit machining - seems clear they're going with the latter
View Quote
Thinking about it, this time after a cup of coffee, it's not just the quantity they have to order when offshoring MIM like that... it's the substantial delay with each revision. They have to wait for the redesign, wait for the prototype, give it the go-ahead, wait for production, wait for shipment, wait for it to clear customs, and finally they can start using the parts maybe 6-18 months later. Each and every revision that requires a newly designed part to be molded overseas introduces that awful wait all over again.

But hey, MIM saves money, right?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
So you’re saying they should have gotten the design finalized and actually working, prior to mass production? You don’t say.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So you’re saying they should have gotten the design finalized and actually working, prior to mass production? You don’t say.
View Quote
I know, wild concept!

It really is frustrating that they rushed, rather than continuing development and prototyping before starting to place orders for bulk MIM parts from overseas. What's done is done, though... best thing they could possibly do now is to fix the design 100%, confirm the fix, and then restart production with the MDR 2.0 or whatever. Offer replacement to MDR owners at a reduced cost to gain a tiny bit of goodwill back... but most of all, DT needs to stop pissing on people and tell them it's raining.

More than anything, the hilariously blatant lies are hurting their rep. In this day and age of instant communications and widespread searches, they're doing real, lasting damage to themselves.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#10]
MDR's only saving grace I think at this point is a flawless 5.56 release...with near perfect reviews...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to more explanation videos by the most awkward man on the internet.

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to more explanation videos by the most awkward man on the internet.

https://i.imgur.com/saAiiRz.gif
View Quote
Reminds me of the goombas from the super Mario brothers movie.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/saAiiRz.gif
View Quote
cmon now, that's not fair!

Could you do better with the MDR for a product?!?!?!???
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

cmon now, that's not fair!

Could you do better with the MDR for a product?!?!?!???
View Quote
hehe, good point.  I guess if he doesn't believe anything he's saying, his affect becomes much more understandable.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Reminds me of the goombas from the super Mario brothers movie.
View Quote
HOLY SHIT!

Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Normally I try not to comment on this stuff, but....

Yup, releasing a 9+ pound 5.56 bullpup at a price point over $2,000....they are going to crush it in the marketplace.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Well..didn't say it was going to be a selling success...but to save the brand and the MDR...DT needs a win...they've lost with the .308 (and will continue to do so until the gas system and other QC issues are addressed)...but the 5.56 has the best chance on actually working...
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#18]
So, is the only way for people to get their MDR to work by spending an extra $750 for the 5.56 conversion?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
None of the DT conversion kits are available yet...so if you want a 5.56...it has to be a full rifle right now...
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So, is the only way for people to get their MDR to work by spending an extra $750 for the 5.56 conversion?
View Quote
Is there any reason to believe that price won't also be increasing before they go on sale?  BTW, a complete 5.56 RDB goes for less than that, now.

I just don't understand the heavy use of MIM for the MDR; it only makes sense economically when you start talking multiple dozens of thousands of parts.  It's insane to commit to their use before making multiple thousands of examples for T&E as well as tolerance studies; if you can't hold the required geometry for function in 5000 rifles, you damn sure won't for 50,000.  Not only do you need to be able to check the MIM parts coming in for conformity, you need to know what's acceptable in the first place, and that means lots of machined parts for initial test or pre-production.  Was it ever realistic for Desert Tech to sell $2500 premium rifles in the kind of volume that justifies those production methods?  Were they really expecting to make hundreds of millions of dollars on a single rifle?  And if the only way to keep the price below $3000 (even though we all know they'd sell a good number of them at $3000 if they worked) was to use MIM, why was the project not abandoned?  Seems like madness doubling down on itself.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#21]
The way I see it, if your buying a MDR a.5.56 conversion is a given....
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is there any reason to believe that price won't also be increasing before they go on sale?  BTW, a complete 5.56 RDB goes for less than that, now.

I just don't understand the heavy use of MIM for the MDR; it only makes sense economically when you start talking multiple dozens of thousands of parts.  It's insane to commit to their use before making multiple thousands of examples for T&E as well as tolerance studies; if you can't hold the required geometry for function in 5000 rifles, you damn sure won't for 50,000.  Not only do you need to be able to check the MIM parts coming in for conformity, you need to know what's acceptable in the first place, and that means lots of machined parts for initial test or pre-production.  Was it ever realistic for Desert Tech to sell $2500 premium rifles in the kind of volume that justifies those production methods?  Were they really expecting to make hundreds of millions of dollars on a single rifle?  And if the only way to keep the price below $3000 (even though we all know they'd sell a good number of them at $3000 if they worked) was to use MIM, why was the project not abandoned?  Seems like madness doubling down on itself.
View Quote
Knowing how the MIM industry works...DT is a very small fish in the pond...they are most likely are sitting on a minimum 10,000 quantity order contract (to even make it a sensible investment)...MIM can be great and better than most cast parts...the ticket is having a good supplier, with good tech and materials and the ability to hold tolerances. While I do not like how the rifle's metal parts are 90% MIM made in the Indian and Asian markets...it is safe to say that so far...the MIM parts are not the problem...but rather...a problem with the actual operating system as a whole...don't fool yourself guys with the recent "updated" gas plug...the 2019 gas plug is a band aid fix...all they did is introduce more gas into the system in all the previous settings (in just two weeks mind I ask, you really think it was properly tested against wear and tear....NOPE).

Just look at InRange's video how bad the MDR's recoil impulses are on setting 5 and 6...remember...the new plug setting 3 is the old setting 6...you think the SCAR17 was eating optics...the MDR will be right there, if not worst...

.308 MDR is dead to me until they revise the system properly...the 5.56 MDR has a chance...but as someone else pointed out...who really wants a heavy 8+ lb 5.56 bully when all the others are 7lbs and much cheaper and be proven reliable...unlike the MDR?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t think they would sell well at 3k. It’s not a scar where people have “sf uses it!” hype. It’s just an untested neat looking rifle with big problems that’s absurdly heavy for what it is in 5.56. At the end of the day it’s just a combat styled rifle it doesn’t have a match trigger or crazy accuracy. Besides novelty what does it do in 5.56 that an AR or AUG or tavor or galil ace or an arsenal 5.56 at a far lower price point do? Or in .308 a ptr 91, a fal, ar10, SCAR, or all the other battle rifles. It’s very niche, and it doesn’t work well on top of that plus problems showing clear or racking out a live round as in range showed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#24]
For someone only looking to run it in 5.56 I don't see the value in the mdr at all. It's overweight, crap plastics, questionable reliability, and on and on.

If someone just wants a 5.56 that works I'd look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
At the end of the day it’s just a combat styled rifle it doesn’t have a match trigger or crazy accuracy.
View Quote
Truer words have never been spoken.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Knowing how the MIM industry works...DT is a very small fish in the pond...they are most likely are sitting on a minimum 10,000 quantity order contract (to even make it a sensible investment)...MIM can be great and better than most cast parts...the ticket is having a good supplier, with good tech and materials and the ability to hold tolerances. While I do not like how the rifle's metal parts are 90% MIM made in the Indian and Asian markets...it is safe to say that so far...the MIM parts are not the problem...but rather...a problem with the actual operating system as a whole...don't fool yourself guys with the recent "updated" gas plug...the 2019 gas plug is a band aid fix...all they did is introduce more gas into the system in all the previous settings (in just two weeks mind I ask, you really think it was properly tested against wear and tear....NOPE).

Just look at InRange's video how bad the MDR's recoil impulses are on setting 5 and 6...remember...the new plug setting 3 is the old setting 6...you think the SCAR17 was eating optics...the MDR will be right there, if not worst...

.308 MDR is dead to me until they revise the system properly...the 5.56 MDR has a chance...but as someone else pointed out...who really wants a heavy 8+ lb 5.56 bully when all the others are 7lbs and much cheaper and be proven reliable...unlike the MDR?
View Quote
I don't think one will run long enough to test the durability of the MIM parts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think one will run long enough to test the durability of the MIM parts.
View Quote
Savagery but true...besides worrying about the MDR running...one has to also wonder how well the craptastic polymer will stand up over time...its probably the worst polymer I have felt/held on a firearm...worst than Keltec zytel...
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah when they don't run very well from the get go because of inherent flaws it makes it hard to troubleshoot further issues.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don’t think they would sell well at 3k. It’s not a scar where people have “sf uses it!” hype. It’s just an untested neat looking rifle with big problems that’s absurdly heavy for what it is in 5.56. At the end of the day it’s just a combat styled rifle it doesn’t have a match trigger or crazy accuracy. Besides novelty what does it do in 5.56 that an AR or AUG or tavor or galil ace or an arsenal 5.56 at a far lower price point do? Or in .308 a ptr 91, a fal, ar10, SCAR, or all the other battle rifles. It’s very niche, and it doesn’t work well on top of that plus problems showing clear or racking out a live round as in range showed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought DT *was* "special forces supplier" type outfit, but more like B&T in that they are more exclusive.

It was originally supposed to have many of those things you list, btw (though maybe heavily implied vs in writing)
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just saying, for the volumes they were doing, billet machining seems more practical.  Maybe foreign MIM is even more affordable than I imagine, though.  Still a crazy move to go to that method out of the gate on a complicated mechanism, regardless the volume.

Shitty MIM (tolerances, QC, as well as design) helped doom the R51 btw; everything but the frame, slide, and barrel is sheetmetal stamping or MIM.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm just saying, for the volumes they were doing, billet machining seems more practical.  Maybe foreign MIM is even more affordable than I imagine, though.  Still a crazy move to go to that method out of the gate on a complicated mechanism, regardless the volume.

Shitty MIM (tolerances, QC, as well as design) helped doom the R51 btw; everything but the frame, slide, and barrel is sheetmetal stamping or MIM.
View Quote
You have to remember where some of the engineering team came from...Sig...Sig has been using foreign MIM manufacturers for years.

I don't have a problem with MIM...if they are of quality. The 200rd break-in requirement tells me that the tolerances are inconsistent and they need to be worn in...
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You have to remember where some of the engineering team came from...Sig...Sig has been using foreign MIM manufacturers for years.

I don't have a problem with MIM...if they are of quality. The 200rd break-in requirement tells me that the tolerances are inconsistent and they need to be worn in...
View Quote
That's not exactly correct.  They could be and likely are incredibly consistent.  But the complexity of the mechanism likely requires a greater level of precision than the process stability is able to produce to an acceptable level without requiring hand fitting, something the process is used to eliminate to begin with.  So nominal dimensions are sized to MMC that will assemble, but with tolerance stacking possibly not function reliably until "broken in."

It's a rube goldberg contraption that likely would require break in even if each and every component were machined from billet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's not exactly correct.  They could be and likely are incredibly consistent.  But the complexity of the mechanism likely requires a greater level of precision than the process stability is able to produce to an acceptable level without requiring hand fitting, something the process is used to eliminate to begin with.  So nominal dimensions are sized to MMC that will assemble, but with tolerance stacking possibly not function reliably until "broken in."

It's a rube goldberg contraption that likely would require break in even if each and every component were machined from billet.
View Quote
I can see that...
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can see that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see that...
Don't get me wrong, it's not optimal, and I think using so many MIM components led to a lot of the problems this rifle has, but in the way that was described earlier, where tooling expense, lead time, the design element of taking a machined prototype and turning it into a sintering mold (and getting something in exactly the same form out) and minimum buys caused DT to accept the manufacture of something unproven simply to have a gun to release.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT - if I did sigline quotes, this would be one!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

QFT - if I did sigline quotes, this would be one!
View Quote
Yeah and looking at the forgotten weapons video I could be wrong but I looked the the line up of the case and arm that kicked the case was aligned put the whole thing at a mechanical disadvantage and extra force on the itty bitty extractor. Couldn’t say for sure not seeing it in person.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More a sign of poorly made parts or bad design; MIM is about the most consistent way to produce parts there is.  But poorly finished edges, surface textures, and a design that doesn't tolerate what dimensional-stackup there is without binding...

Going from simple 1 or 2 piece machines (bolt actions) to a true complex working mechanism is a real trip.  There's an entire field of engineering devoted to it; it is very difficult, and you often don't know what you don't know until it's too late, and things don't work because five layers of dimensions are *just* wrong enough in a certain permutation that your prototype managed to sneak through without issue.  None of dealing with that is sexy, and it's easy for designers to want avoid it and managers to want to skip over it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real issue appears to be a peaky gas system that doesn't run ammo with a different pressure curve than what DT tested with (I don't believe they knowingly put such a badly flawed system out; I do think they cheaped out on tearing by using in-house ammo).  MIM is not even a factor, there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
(I don't believe they knowingly put such a badly flawed system out; I do think they cheaped out on tearing by using in-house ammo)
View Quote
So best case, their testers were ignorant enough to not test with a variety of ammo, which 99.99% of their customers would actually use.
Worst case, they got too far along before someone caught it and said "too late now" and hoped nobody would notice before they started getting a return on their investment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So best case, their testers were ignorant enough to not test with a variety of ammo, which 99.99% of their customers would actually use.
Worst case, they got too far along before someone caught it and said "too late now" and hoped nobody would notice before they started getting a return on their investment.
View Quote
I would agree with your second scenario...
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see either one being accurate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Actually yes...both...since they only tested the MDR with 3 ammo types...as officially stated in their InRange response video...
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The real issue appears to be a peaky gas system that doesn't run ammo with a different pressure curve than what DT tested with (I don't believe they knowingly put such a badly flawed system out; I do think they cheaped out on tearing by using in-house ammo).  MIM is not even a factor, there.
View Quote
Agreed.

On the plus side, I think that's easier to unfuck after the fact than to re-engineer the complex mechanism of the rifle's action itself.  Not that anyone should have to unfuck a $2k+ rifle out of the box - only that I'm optimistic about my chances in making mine run right.  And if I can do it, others can as well.

Again, only a "plus side" for those of us already in for $2k or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Agreed.

On the plus side, I think that's easier to unfuck after the fact than to re-engineer the complex mechanism of the rifle's action itself.  Not that anyone should have to unfuck a $2k+ rifle out of the box - only that I'm optimistic about my chances in making mine run right.  And if I can do it, others can as well.

Again, only a "plus side" for those of us already in for $2k or whatever.
View Quote
I hate to disagree, but... I disagree. The bolt mass itself and overall reciprocating mass velocity seems to be quite a problem. To "unfuck" the rifle as-is will require (at the least) moving the gas system and adding mass to the carrier, or you'll end up getting it running by pushing the reciprocating parts even faster, causing battering to a severe degree.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I hate to disagree, but... I disagree. The bolt mass itself and overall reciprocating mass velocity seems to be quite a problem. To "unfuck" the rifle as-is will require (at the least) moving the gas system and adding mass to the carrier, or you'll end up getting it running by pushing the reciprocating parts even faster, causing battering to a severe degree.
View Quote
It's far easier for me to move the gas system than to re-engineer everything going on behind the barrel extension.  Removing the gas block, plugging the existing gas port, drilling a new gas port, turning a longer gas plunger - that's it.  I don't care about the silly little section of pic rail and can come up with a way to eliminate any gap in the top rail after the fact, even if it means milling a new gas block with a cantilevered rail section.

We probably disagree more on what exactly the problem and solution is than anything.  I'm convinced my particular rifle's problem isn't reciprocating velocity, but acceleration and timing of that acceleration.  Lower the rate of acceleration and delay the unlocking of the bolt until a lower chamber pressure is present than currently, and I believe mine would run quite well.

ETA - note I've never, not once, had a malfunction related to low carrier velocity or inertia.  Not failure to feed, not failure to LRBHO, not failure to eject, not failure to go into battery.  Maybe if I can get it slowed down I will, but to date my failures are all related to ripping rims and leaving cases in the chamber.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's far easier for me to move the gas system than to re-engineer everything going on behind the barrel extension.  Removing the gas block, plugging the existing gas port, drilling a new gas port, turning a longer gas plunger - that's it.  I don't care about the silly little section of pic rail and can come up with a way to eliminate any gap in the top rail after the fact, even if it means milling a new gas block with a cantilevered rail section.

We probably disagree more on what exactly the problem and solution is than anything.  I'm convinced my particular rifle's problem isn't reciprocating velocity, but acceleration and timing of that acceleration.  Lower the rate of acceleration and delay the unlocking of the bolt until a lower chamber pressure is present than currently, and I believe mine would run quite well.

ETA - note I've never, not once, had a malfunction related to low carrier velocity or inertia.  Not failure to feed, not failure to LRBHO, not failure to eject, not failure to go into battery.  Maybe if I can get it slowed down I will, but to date my failures are all related to ripping rims and leaving cases in the chamber.
View Quote
Glad you have the capabilities to do so and more power to you...seriously mean that...but WHY spend all that time and money on something so junky? I'd rather just sell the stupid thing and get a proper AR10 if I was in many of your guy's/gal's shoes...at $2500 bucks...no one should re-engineer the freaking gun...
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd rather just sell the stupid thing
View Quote
I applaud those too ethical to be willing to recoup their costs by selling a known lemon*.  I would feel the same - no way to get my money back out of the thing because I couldn't sell it at "market" rate knowing that instance didn't run right, and at the prices I'd feel right about, I might as well keep the POS.

*At this point I think all the MDRs are lemons, but I mean one known by the owner to not run right vs one presumed not to run right by virtue of being an MDR...
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Glad you have the capabilities to do so and more power to you...seriously mean that...but WHY spend all that time and money on something so junky? I'd rather just sell the stupid thing and get a proper AR10 if I was in many of your guy's/gal's shoes...at $2500 bucks...no one should re-engineer the freaking gun...
View Quote
Because as I've said, conceptually it's everything I want in a 7.62 bullpup.  Everything.  No other design does or offers everything I want.  So I'm vested in making it work.

And I can't sell it to someone without disclosing it's problems, which means I'll likely lose money on the deal if I can even find a buyer.  I bought mine used, at a reasonable discount from new, and still think I'd lose my ass on it.

There's only one gun I've ever owned and not been able to fix, and that was a Saiga 12 that would just randomly drop spent cartridges during extraction before the ejector could eject them.  I sold it to someone with full disclosure on everything I'd done to the gun, both to try and resolve that issue as well as the other issues it had, for about half what I had into it, simply because I quit shooting open class 3 gun and didn't really care to spend any more time on a gun I wasn't very enthusiastic about for anything but 3 gun anyway.

This is different.  The only thing DT did right with this gun, is the concept and features, imo, and I want it to work.

As far as ME having the capabilities, yes.  But my other point is, if *I* can do it, then some shop or smith will be able to as well, so the people who are like me in appreciation of this rifles concept, without the capability to fix it, should have an option of sending it to someone for professional unfucking down the road.

I think this bothers me less than a lot of people because I remember buying 1911s and immediately sending them to Novak or whomever to make them run right.  To me the MDR is the tight fitting expensive 1911 of bullpups.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I look forward to seeing what happens with just the gas system being moved. Honestly, it's where I'd start, too... the reciprocating mass velocity may not be the worst problem, short-term, and smoothing out the peak of the gas system should help quite a bit either way.

ETA: I should clarify, I'm not saying the bolt velocity is low, I'm saying it's far above the "ideal" 4m/s.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Because as I've said, conceptually it's everything I want in a 7.62 bullpup.  Everything.  No other design does or offers everything I want.  So I'm vested in making it work.

And I can't sell it to someone without disclosing it's problems, which means I'll likely lose money on the deal if I can even find a buyer.  I bought mine used, at a reasonable discount from new, and still think I'd lose my ass on it.

There's only one gun I've ever owned and not been able to fix, and that was a Saiga 12 that would just randomly drop spent cartridges during extraction before the ejector could eject them.  I sold it to someone with full disclosure on everything I'd done to the gun, both to try and resolve that issue as well as the other issues it had, for about half what I had into it, simply because I quit shooting open class 3 gun and didn't really care to spend any more time on a gun I wasn't very enthusiastic about for anything but 3 gun anyway.

This is different.  The only thing DT did right with this gun, is the concept and features, imo, and I want it to work.

As far as ME having the capabilities, yes.  But my other point is, if *I* can do it, then some shop or smith will be able to as well, so the people who are like me in appreciation of this rifles concept, without the capability to fix it, should have an option of sending it to someone for professional unfucking down the road.

I think this bothers me less than a lot of people because I remember buying 1911s and immediately sending them to Novak or whomever to make them run right.  To me the MDR is the tight fitting expensive 1911 of bullpups.
View Quote
Oh I can't wait to see what you cook up on the MDR...but its just a dang shame you have to...that is all I am saying...this gun wasn't sold or marketed as a DIY fix rifle, or a custom, hand-fit model or anything like that...this craptastic rifle was sold to the masses as a battle rifle...that is why I have such bitterness to DT on this...they failed to deliver on everything but the actual "concept".
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top