Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't realize we were at the bottom of 49

If anyone cares:

MDR 5.56 Update and Warranty Break-in Info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5dm8L9ElpQ&feature=share
View Quote
TL;DW crowd:
"5.56 forward ejection doesn't work right. Surveying 5.56 pre-orders to see if they want guns w/o ejection chutes in November or guns w/ejection chutes in February."
"No more quality problems, really!"
"No more break-in needed, really!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been happy overall with mine.  I do have the issue where I can't easily release the bolt using the right-side charging handle.  The left-side charging handle releases easily (HK slap) but I have to pull the right-side one back as if I'm charging the rifle then release it (no HK slap).  I could send it in but I usually use the left-side handle.  I'll add this issue to the list if I have to send the rifle back to DT.

I have the 6-position gas valve and use position 1 when suppressed and position 3 without the suppressor.  This has been working great for me with my usual ammo (PMC 150gr or Federal 168gr).  I probably won't get the 5.56 conversion since I already have an Aug & X95.

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting Nic only mentioned months of release not which year, leaving some wiggle room for the likely delays.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting Nic only mentioned months of release not which year, leaving some wiggle room for the likely delays.
View Quote
Depressingly accurate observation!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
So there is a comment on one of the newer YouTube videos that suggests they're working on a new 308 extractor that is 40% larger and will be a running change on new guns and will be a free upgrade on older guns.

Great news if true. I see the small extractor as the single biggest and nearly fatal flaw with the gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So there is a comment on one of the newer YouTube videos that suggests they're working on a new 308 extractor that is 40% larger and will be a running change on new guns and will be a free upgrade on older guns.

Great news if true. I see the small extractor as the single biggest and nearly fatal flaw with the gun.
View Quote
Would be great...I think that along with the 6-position gas plug will solve many of the reliability issues reported...now...a larger extractor will require a new bolt as well....
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Would be great...I think that along with the 6-position gas plug will solve many of the reliability issues reported...now...a larger extractor will require a new bolt as well....
View Quote
On an ar style bolt yes but not on the mdr.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been thinking about this as well and they may be able to get by with the existing bolt by extending the extractor around the edge of the bolt face so that it resides between the bolt's rim and the inside of the groove around the cartidge's base.  While it works in my mind's eye, I don't know how robust it would be, but if it is 40% larger, that means that it would gain about 20% of the original's width on either side, so it may be strong enough.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
That is correct...my bad...I keep forgetting that the MDR has a unique bolt design. Should be interesting.

I would reckon by Spring/Early Summer 2019...the bugs will be ironed out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The issue I saw that I just now remembered is that there is only so much room in the barrel extension. I'd be surprised if a 40% larger extractor would fit in there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Funny enough...

We'll see if that holds up, but he's committed now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Another unsatisfied beta tester, another broken Member Developed Rifle and another example of Desert Tech's exemplary customer service:

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=13385.0
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]
In their defense the 2 times I've sent it back they sent me a shipping label without any coaxing. I'm not sure why others aren't getting the same treatment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In their defense the 2 times I've sent it back they sent me a shipping label without any coaxing. I'm not sure why others aren't getting the same treatment.
View Quote
Who knows...maybe their service repairs are dipping into their reserve cash now...however...that guy's problem is 100% a design flaw (not enough material) as well as improper final QC process on making sure pins fit smoothly and effortlessly...DT should pay that guy's return fees.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Who knows...maybe their service repairs are dipping into their reserve cash now...however...that guy's problem is 100% a design flaw (not enough material) as well as improper final QC process on making sure pins fit smoothly and effortlessly...DT should pay that guy's return fees.
View Quote
Oh I know. Mine has the same issue currently.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Whomever initiates the recall on consumer goods (like vehicles) should start looking into the MDR.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh I know. Mine has the same issue currently.
View Quote
What...yours has the same problem?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What...yours has the same problem?
View Quote
Yep. Cracked rear takedown pin hole. It was broken when I got it back from the last trip.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep. Cracked rear takedown pin hole. It was broken when I got it back from the last trip.
View Quote
DT...come on...don't do this to yourself with silly quality stuff like this... it does not make us believers. What is the solution on this I wonder....
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

DT...come on...don't do this to yourself with silly quality stuff like this... it does not make us believers. What is the solution on this I wonder....
View Quote
Tavor 7?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ho Lee Schitt!!!!  That'll be fixed by another "running change" I guess - this is all a conspiracy to make it sound like I was wrong to tell folks to wait for "Gen 2" because Delphi Tech (now on what, "Gen 1-C"?) will have "Gen 1-Y" instead
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Tavor 7?
View Quote
Once it is released...100%
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#26]
From late June till now there seems to be just shy of 250 rma's. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
From late June till now there seems to be just shy of 250 rma's. Not sure if that's good or bad.
View Quote
Where is this rather proprietary and internal information coming from?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Where is this rather proprietary and internal information coming from?
View Quote
The difference between the 2nd and finally 3rd rma's I received.

ETA: I may be able to dig through my emails and find the original.

Eta2 just short of 600 since the original in 9/17
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting, though I don't know whether I would put a lot of stock in it given that the RMA sequence covers all their products and may include the gas plugs that people (who didn't purchase them) called in to receive.  That said, this is all speculation without knowing how their internal processes work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm sure it does cover all their product lines which would be the mdr, SRS, hti and probably suppressors that are the most likely to need rma's issued.

Maybe one day I'll have a gun that meets expectations or is at least reliable.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting facts for our consideration, thanks!

Very sorry to hear your MDR continues to be a headache
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Inrangetv just released their review. Seems like it went as expected.

https://youtu.be/DabLcqavXJ0

(Link since I don't think I can embed as a non-team member)
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah...I was hoping by now they would have figured this out...but it appears...even with the 6 position gas...the 308 MDR will remain a niche gun for all the tacticool range ninjas with high disposable incomes...

The fact that you can't adjust gas on the fly really hurts this ammo pickiness problem...gas adjustments should be made without removing the handguard...I think that is one major Achilles heel in this platform...with a FAL...you at least get to go up or down relatively easily.

I think at this point a KelTec RFB is a better option (outside potentially of the Tavor 7 once released).
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah...I was hoping by now they would have figured this out...but it appears...even with the 6 position gas...the 308 MDR will remain a niche gun for all the tacticool range ninjas with high disposable incomes...

The fact that you can't adjust gas on the fly really hurts this ammo pickiness problem...gas adjustments should be made without removing the handguard...I think that is one major Achilles heel in this platform...with a FAL...you at least get to go up or down relatively easily.

I think at this point a KelTec RFB is a better option (outside potentially of the Tavor 7 once released).
View Quote
If that’s its Achilles heel, the MDR must have as many legs as a centipede by now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like a fair, thorough and thoughtful review which lines up with my experiences pre and post 6pos gas plug.

It has a narrow operating window between short stroking/ejection chute jams and stuck cases.

Polishing and chamfering the entrance to the ejection chute widens that range on the low end and pretty much fixed all those issues for me.

I think lack of extractor surface area is the fatal flaw to the design. A wider extractor should widen the window on the top end. Supposedly they're working on that though.

ETA the gas plug should be adjustable without tools but more gas settings is a bandaid. The better way to go is make the rifle more reliable across the range. ie where one setting is ideal but it will work one above and one below instead of now where it damn near has to be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
We shall see...
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Four, almost five years in, and this is the result. They tried to do too much. A larger extractor, or dual extractors, and a standard or downward ejection system would make it reliable.

At this point DT should develop an ejection port cover that works and ejects normally ( meaning no chute to push cases through, just allow the cases to fly out the side ), with a deflector at the rear, and offer that as a replacement for free to current owners, and as an option , included in the package on new sales.

As it is, it's a cluster freak of epic proportions, and they really need to to un FUBAR this thing before the Tavor 7 gets released, because the Tavor 7 will work as advertised on day one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've lost track of how many years ago I stated that I'd continue to enjoy shooting my RFB while folks waited for MDRs...
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Agreed, that was sad to see.  I also agree slicking up the internals and a larger extractor (as well as maybe a few more gas settings) would really help.  Maybe we'll see them in 2025!

Also, I feel like the K&M M17s in .308 often gets overlooked.  I've never heard of any issues with them, whereas the RFB while nice has a host of potential problems and generally poor QC (or at least that has been my experience, I know others have been fine).
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Agreed, that was sad to see.  I also agree slicking up the internals and a larger extractor (as well as maybe a few more gas settings) would really help.  Maybe we'll see them in 2025!

Also, I feel like the K&M M17s in .308 often gets overlooked.  I've never heard of any issues with them, whereas the RFB while nice has a host of potential problems and generally poor QC (or at least that has been my experience, I know others have been fine).
View Quote
K&M is a solid choice...just not for a lefty user :(
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've lost track of how many years ago I stated that I'd continue to enjoy shooting my RFB while folks waited for MDRs...
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Looks like a fair, thorough and thoughtful review which lines up with my experiences pre and post 6pos gas plug.

It has a narrow operating window between short stroking/ejection chute jams and stuck cases.

Polishing and chamfering the entrance to the ejection chute widens that range on the low end and pretty much fixed all those issues for me.

I think lack of extractor surface area is the fatal flaw to the design. A wider extractor should widen the window on the top end. Supposedly they're working on that though.

ETA the gas plug should be adjustable without tools but more gas settings is a bandaid. The better way to go is make the rifle more reliable across the range. ie where one setting is ideal but it will work one above and one below instead of now where it damn near has to be perfect.
View Quote
I don't think a larger extractor is going to help that much, I think they need to add more mass to the bolt to delay unlocking, or re design the cam track, because it still damages brass on the lower gas settings.

This is indicative of the action unlocking and extracting while pressure is still high enough that the brass is still swelling into the chamber walls; this would explain why it still occasionally rips rims off of brass on a gas setting that otherwise allows it to cycle without issues.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I liked my rfb while I had it other than 3 things. It was reliable and the trigger wasn't bad.

Very loud suppressed due to the gas system
FAL mags
Accuracy was meh. Ok for a "battle rifle" but I like accurate rifles.

I'd get rid of the mdr but I'm not ready to take a beating on it and I'd feel guilty selling it at market value.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like my rfb while I had it other than 3 things. It was reliable and the trigger wasn't bad.

Very loud suppressed due to the gas station
FAL mags
Accuracy was meh. Ok for a "battle rifle" but I like accurate rifles.

I'd get rid of the mdr but I'm not ready to take a beating on it and I'd feel guilty selling it at market value.
View Quote
I've got a Gen1 RFB and tinkered for a while with a more restrictive "suppressor" piston to keep you from having to remove the gas plug.
I never got around to prototyping one but I will one day when I get some free time.  I wanted to make a 2-sided piston that you rotate 120deg to go from normal to suppressed.  Could be done in 10 seconds by popping the front handguard pin and rotating the head of the piston.

If you have a Gen2, KelTec will send you a "suppressor" piston for free if you ask.  It's got a smaller flat on the stem to reduce the gas flowing to the piston.

For mags, Steyer mags are best from what I've tried, but they are thick and heavy.
I want to pick up a few Moses mags to modify and try at some point...

As far as accuracy, FGMM gives me 1.5-2 MOA, but German DAG surplus gives me about the same.  Not a precision rifle, but not terrible.
Mine has been wearing an Eotech for a while, but just switched over to a PA Cyclops 1x prism to try it out, so not an issue for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah...you are in a tough spot with your MDR.

At this point...I would just ride it out and get the incremental improvements as they are released.

or

Take a massive loss and move on.

The problem is...if I were to own one...I'd want it to work...because the design factors are so good...so good.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah...you are in a tough spot with your MDR.

At this point...I would just ride it out and get the incremental improvements as they are released.

or

Take a massive loss and move on.

The problem is...if I were to own one...I'd want it to work...because the design factors are so good...so good.
View Quote
It's hard to even care anymore at this point. They can just keep the damn thing until it's actually right. Use it as an example of one that doesn't work, idk.

So far all ammo I've run through it has pretty much been a waste because it has all been function checking and troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank god I canceled my Keltec.....I mean mdr preorder.  When I saw that they were expecting buyers to be beta testers I was out
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's hard to even care anymore at this point. They can just keep the damn thing until it's actually right. Use it as an example of one that doesn't work, idk.

So far all ammo I've run through it has pretty much been a waste because it has all been function checking and troubleshooting.
View Quote
Yeah being beta testers when it comes to 308 is an expensive situation...like I said...this is the ultimate tacticool ninja's range gun...I wouldn't dare make this a defense rifle...ever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#49]
looks like the sega continues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbrH_S2Nppo

I think Ian, like most of us, were intrigued by the MDR on paper, it has many nice things about it, and not to mention 7.62 bullpup being a novelty and all by itself, nvm the whole ejector thing.

and then.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DabLcqavXJ0

hit by a face full of reality when taken to the range, at least that one seems to not break with the whole take down pin or any of that, just functions badly.

At this point, I am going to hope there is a peacegeek like entity (that did it for warsport) that picks up the pieces after DT goes under and I can pick up some ultra cheap MDR (like sub sub 1k lol), or cheap SRSes when it happens.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
That video gave the MDR more chances than it could reasonably ask for...  and the gun had to have been relatively clean since it couldn't get far w/o choking.  This advanced modern dynamic design couldn't manage to accomplish what the HK91s, FALs, and AR10s have for decades as far as reliability.  In a vacuum, this video could be written off as a bad rifle slipping through QC.  Unfortunately, this report is far from breaking the mold.  I wanted this gun to work so damned bad because it was everything I originally wanted...  a 308 AUG made by a company known for precision rifles.  This sucks  If it worked, it would still have a solid market.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top