Wha, details?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now offering MIL/LE pricing.

Wha, details?

Not to quote my own post, but their FB says 20% off MSRP, but they indicate they haven't finalized it for the MDR. If it's 20% that's very awesome, I was in for MSRP!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not to quote my own post, but their FB says 20% off MSRP, but they indicate they haven't finalized it for the MDR. If it's 20% that's very awesome, I was in for MSRP!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now offering MIL/LE pricing.

Wha, details?

I'd be in for one at this price for sure
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Well i'll be missing shot show but hopefully I can still pick one up early.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Wish I could go to Shot Show as well. Anyone that goes, please give us an update if there is any new information.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I want the .308 version in a bad way.  What is the effective range of that model supposed to be?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want the .308 version in a bad way.  What is the effective range of that model supposed to be?
View Quote

Right now they are only advertising the 16" BBL option for the .308 (on the same page that tells us to look forward to that 2015 release date).  So whatever the effective range of a 16" BBL .308.

Personally, 16" is a little short for what I want a .308 for.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going through the latest Ballistic magazine and Desert Tech has a full page add for the MDR and list the weight at 7.1lb, I called Desert Tech and this is the weight on the 308, they did not give me the weight on the 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was going through the latest Ballistic magazine and Desert Tech has a full page add for the MDR and list the weight at 7.1lb, I called Desert Tech and this is the weight on the 308, they did not give me the weight on the 5.56.
View Quote

7.1lb for the 7.62 is pretty darn good. I'd assume that if this is correct, this logically would make the 5.56 version even lighter?

Ugh I want this to hurry up and happen my money is burning a hole in my pocket. I honestly haven't been this excited over a gun release even counting the ACR pre-debacle. It may end up outdoing my 17, Mk18, and Tavor all in one rifle between their SBR/5.56/7.62 variations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Right now they are only advertising the 16" BBL option for the .308 (on the same page that tells us to look forward to that 2015 release date).  So whatever the effective range of a 16" BBL .308.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With you on that.  I respect anyone's desire for a nice short BP that delivers 30 cal power.  That being said, 30 cal has some great potential with longer barrels, and if you already have a BP why not make it just a little longer for that gain (and it still ends up shorter than a standard rifle)?  If DT releases the long barrel later, it's not going to be a cheap purchase
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With you on that.  I respect anyone's desire for a nice short BP that delivers 30 cal power.  That being said, 30 cal has some great potential with longer barrels, and if you already have a BP why not make it just a little longer for that gain (and it still ends up shorter than a standard rifle)?  If DT releases the long barrel later, it's not going to be a cheap purchase
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've been promoting ban  compliant model barrel lengths of 19" in a lot of relatively recent promotional material.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree but they're also advertising a 19" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:51:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I heard that mentioned, but don't see it on their website anywhere.   Could you share a link?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think I heard that mentioned, but don't see it on their website anywhere.   Could you share a link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.dtacomlink.com/where-is-the-mdr/

http://www.dtacomlink.com/universal-mdr-and-the-19-inch-barrel/

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]
i'd put myself down for an FDE 19" 308...i'm wandering if I want to switch to a 16" now. Guess i'll wait and see once shot show rolls around.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks.  These look like from blog-post around mid-last year, from a website called dtacomlink, which I'm not familiar with.  Their main website (deserttech.com) currently is only indicating the 16" option, though that too has a 2015 ETA.  

Frankly, that many options all at once for a new product, is one massive distribution portfolio.  All for a completely new product, just seems pretty ambitious (and unrealistic).  Especially for a company that is really a specialty company, with uncertain mass production capabilities.  I will be amazed if their initial release really  has that many options of calibers, stock configurations, and BBL lengths.  I sure hope so, because a 19" .308 for ~$2K sounds quite interesting.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks.  These look like from blog-post around mid-last year, from a website called dtacomlink, which I'm not familiar with.  Their main website (deserttech.com) currently is only indicating the 16" option, though that too has a 2015 ETA.  

Frankly, that many options all at once for a new product, is one massive distribution portfolio.  All for a completely new product, just seems pretty ambitious (and unrealistic).  Especially for a company that is really a specialty company, with uncertain mass production capabilities.  I will be amazed if their initial release really  has that many options of calibers, stock configurations, and BBL lengths.  I sure hope so, because a 19" .308 for ~$2K sounds quite interesting.  
View Quote

The graphics show what they plan on eventually making available.  Initially, based on comments that they've made on FB, there will be two color choices (Black and FDE) and two caliber choices (5.56 or 7.62x51), and one barrel length - 16".  Longer barrels and different calibers will be available later, but not at release.

So...you can have anything you want so long as it's one of the two colors, one of the two calibers, and it will be a 16" barrel.  They *might* offer a longer barrel for ban state compliance, but I'd suspect that will be down the road a few months.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I think we have to wait until the SHOT Show before we know exactly what is going to be released. I imagine DTA is paying some attention to the poll results on the Bullpup forum.  Whether on their FB site or in emails, etc. I haven't seen anything that absolutely says they will only release the .308 with a 16" barrel first.

Plus, if they want to sell to CA, or to Australia or Canada as they have displayed in their depiction then they know what they have to do, or cut out 2/3rds of their potential market out.  

If DTA is going to take pre-orders soon then they'll know what they need to do to finish barrel blanks to either lengths, or order completed barrels if they're farming that component out.

My .02
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, after talking with desert tech, my store is out. We had ordered a bunch of mdr's last year, but today they informed us they have canceled all prior orders. Now to get mdr's you have to buy some of their legacy products, then you have the privilege of buying some mdr's. We had a couple srs's in the shop, the first sold after about a year and a half, for exactly what we paid for it. The other one sold about 3 weeks ago for $300 under our cost. There is 0 chance we will be getting more in for the vague promise of "trying to get a couple in the 2nd quarter". Damn shame, rifles look really nice, I guess the x95 looks pretty nice too though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, after talking with desert tech, my store is out. We had ordered a bunch of mdr's last year, but today they informed us they have canceled all prior orders. Now to get mdr's you have to buy some of their legacy products, then you have the privilege of buying some mdr's. We had a couple srs's in the shop, the first sold after about a year and a half, for exactly what we paid for it. The other one sold about 3 weeks ago for $300 under our cost. There is 0 chance we will be getting more in for the vague promise of "trying to get a couple in the 2nd quarter". Damn shame, rifles look really nice, I guess the x95 looks pretty nice too though.
View Quote

I hope others come forward if that happens to them as well because that is BS!  I really hate companies that pull that crap.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Cancelling orders and changing the policy last minute is a no-go. Good luck with your store's situation. I know they're probably trying to create a buffer for orders because they don't have the capacity to meet demand but hope this comes to light so they can change their act.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Yup, that's a bunch of BS.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:39:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Is anyone else tracking that you can order one online now from Desert Tech?  Looks like you can only have it shipped to certain dealers tho.  I know it is just a pre-order.  Anyone get in on this yet or know any details?

FA
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is anyone else tracking that you can order one online now from Desert Tech?  Looks like you can only have it shipped to certain dealers tho.  I know it is just a pre-order.  Anyone get in on this yet or know any details?

FA
View Quote

That is what it looks like and the nearest one to me is over 250 miles away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Are they requiring full payment up front?  I couldnt tell based off their website.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that's not a good sign.  This thing could be awesome, but to be honest, this product release has been managed about as well the MagPul AUG magazine fiasco.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
It's also worrying that they don't have a shoot-able demo rifle at shot (from what we've seen).

It's all BS until the rifle actually comes out and gets properly tested, but the fact that they don't have demo rifles a few months before release could indicate a much later release.  Still I'd rather wait for something good then have something that had potential get rushed out and fall short of the mark (looking at you kel tec).
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well that's not a good sign.  This thing could be awesome, but to be honest, this product release has been managed about as well the MagPul AUG magazine fiasco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that the truth, haha. I overheard one of the other reps talking to one of their master dealers and the schedule he was outlining was 5 mdr per master dealer per month. As a plain Jane stocking dealer, our rep said he might be able to get us 2 per month starting 2nd quarter 2016. This was the schedule we were quoted "until they can get caught up". It is entirely possible they have other deals with other dealers, but this was all the info I could get before my boss and I walked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

Seriously!?  Why does it seem like they are making it more difficult to buy than it should be?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's also worrying that they don't have a shoot-able demo rifle at shot (from what we've seen).

It's all BS until the rifle actually comes out and gets properly tested, but the fact that they don't have demo rifles a few months before release could indicate a much later release.  Still I'd rather wait for something good then have something that had potential get rushed out and fall short of the mark (looking at you kel tec).
View Quote

That's not a good sign. Considering they're giving a 2Q release date (April, May, June). And they have one that can be fired available.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are they requiring full payment up front?  I couldnt tell based off their website.
View Quote

Yes they are.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they are.

I believe you but could you cite how you know that?  I would pre-order in full if I could order the factory SBR, otherwise thats too much of an inconvenience when it could take until Q4 for all we know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Why is there no MDR pics/videos from Shot Show yet.... what else there could possibly matter?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Someone scanned in the Recoil mag article on the MDR - combined with the crappy marketing/communication/BS, I'm going from ready to order sight unseen to - WTF?
Some solid info + shooting rifles had best be coming soon.
All appearances are 16" only for launch, black or FDE - if so, I'm going from dual rifles (.308 19" + 5.56 16") or .308 + 5.56 conversion to 5.56 only and wait for longer barrel .308, or 'wait and see.'

From the mag article, 'highlights':
7.8#
Lack of engineering expertise claimed until mid-2015
< 1MOA but DMR version LATER w/higher accuracy = wtf?
Recoil Mag never got to shoot it = WTF?

You already have people on the 'order now or wait?' question...what's the 'DMR version'?  New receiver, barrel only, wtf?

Q2 vs actual date + still no shooting examples is telling me it's not likely 'already in production.'

Show us it being shot and in reviewer's hands.

I want this rifle to succeed, was willing to order 1 + conversion or 2 rifles if I could swing it sight unseen, but all of this mess added up so far has me scratching my head a bit.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why is there no MDR pics/videos from Shot Show yet.... what else there could possibly matter?
View Quote

I was really excited about and expecting to see some videos from the shot show of it in action what the finalized version looks like it's specs etc... but from what I understand they still do not having a single working finalized version yet, no doubt the biggest disappointment of the show if true.

Perhaps we are witnessing a company collapse under the weight of it's own success.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was really excited about and expecting to see some videos from the shot show of it in action what the finalized version looks like it's specs etc... but from what I understand they still do not having a single working finalized version yet, no doubt the biggest disappointment of the show if true.

Perhaps we are witnessing a company collapse under the weight of it's own success.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After this week I'm done defending DT when I see people call the MDR vaporware. I was fully on this bandwagon but this is getting ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup 2017 shot and still we won't have a working model

Seriously though I'm gonna be purchasing something else with the money I've been holding onto for this ..... it's getting ridiculous

If they would just be forthcoming
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm hesitant to preorder but does anyone have a list of their "approved" vendors I can't seem to find it. Was just going to have it shipped to my nearest ffl but I'm sure I'll have to drive half way across the country for it now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm hesitant to preorder but does anyone have a list of their "approved" vendors I can't seem to find it. Was just going to have it shipped to my nearest ffl but I'm sure I'll have to drive half way across the country for it now.
View Quote

I'm assuming you have to go through one of their authorized dealers from the wording in the email regarding pre-orders.  

Put you zip in here:  http://deserttech.com/html/locate_a_dealer.php

ETA: Link hotness.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

After this week I'm done defending DT when I see people call the MDR vaporware. I was fully on this bandwagon but this is getting ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. I've been the MDR's biggest cheerleader, but so far it seems to indeed be a lot of hype with very little/slow progress towards a final product launch. I hope I'm wrong.

I want this to live up to hype and expectations. It's supposed to be awesome on paper, but it's having ridiculous troubles coming to fruition. And where is the SBR support I was promised? I see a 300BLK kit already, but not the 10" kit/SBR anywhere. The 20" SBR 5.56 bullpup is half of my interest in this. Also, they claim <MOA, I don't doubt it given their reputation but show me your tests where these claims are derived from. Lastly, I keep hearing they've chopped weight but it's now still being stated at almost 8lbs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Why do people love this, but hate the new Kalashnikov plastic wonder?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Same. I've been the MDR's biggest cheerleader, but so far it seems to indeed be a lot of hype with very little/slow progress towards a final product launch. I hope I'm wrong.

I want this to live up to hype and expectations. It's supposed to be awesome on paper, but it's having ridiculous troubles coming to fruition. And where is the SBR support I was promised? I see a 300BLK kit already, but not the 10" kit/SBR anywhere. The 20" SBR 5.56 bullpup is half of my interest in this. Also, they claim <MOA, I don't doubt it given their reputation but show me your tests where these claims are derived from. Lastly, I keep hearing they've chopped weight but it's now still being stated at almost 8lbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you find/hear the accuracy claim?  I've been hoping they would announce something like that but I may have missed it.  Sure does seem to be taking forever to launch "tomorrow's weapon."
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you have to go through one of their authorized dealers from the wording in the email regarding pre-orders.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Closest dealer is only 225 miles away LOL.

I guess the new X95 will be in my future if I decide to buy a bullpup.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks I never got that email but I did get a whole bunch from them on other things. I guess the closest one is way south of me but luckily I have an office near by. Still that is a sucky I was hoping to get my local guy to do it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's going to look awesome next to that VLTOR Bren 10 I was so excited about...    I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel.  One thing for sure is that DT's development of this is apparently not going well.  My confidence in what will be the Gen1 MDR is rapidly falling.

I am starting to give KelTec's .308 RFB a hard second look.  (Speaking of which, did they fix their issues?)
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can live with 5.56 that would seem to be the best bet. Buy an x95 in June, form 1 it right before the 41P cutoff. By the time your form 1 is approved in 2017, someone will have figured out how to gunsmith it into an SBR (cut butt pad, cut barrel, drill out gas hole as needed, cut handguard).  Plus the X95 is proven. The only downside to the x95 is no .308 (yet). But maybe they'll do a .308 later and that won't be SBRed so no worries on dates.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Where did you find/hear the accuracy claim?  I've been hoping they would announce something like that but I may have missed it.  Sure does seem to be taking forever to launch "tomorrow's weapon."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their CEO claimed it in a recent quote on their FB page.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Well it looks like Copper Custom (Tim / Military Arms Channel) will be a stocking dealer and they are my primary FFL as they're less than 10 miles away, so I guess I will be able to finger fuck one whenever they get some in...whenever that may be.

ETA: Looks like Bud's will be a stocking dealer also.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

The weight is down to just about 7lbs.  As for the SBR stuff, they're prioritizing their production on rifles they can sell and ship immediately and that will appeal to the broadest possible market and not a niche market like the SBR does.  They've already said it's coming, but it will be a while.  

Look at it from their perspective:  Up until this point they weren't a high volume manufacturer.  Now, they have a product that is likely to be so popular as to sell every one they can produce as quick as they can produce it.  They're starting with four options: two colors and two calibers, both with 16" barrels.  That gives them 4 SKUs they need to worry about producing and inventorying.  Add SBRs and you now add two additional SKUs for each caliber *PLUS* additional unique paperwork for each serial number sold so they can transfer it to the receiving dealer.  The paperwork alone will probably require a dedicated person.  So, if you're going to add $30k-45k of labor expenses (salary, training, benefits, etc.), what would be better in the short term to get the product established: someone pushing paper on a very limited number of guns that won't ship for weeks or someone working to get guns shipped out the door days after they're produced?

Don't forget the investment they made to bring this to market; likely there's a bank or investor somewhere that has a note collecting interest that DT probably wants to get paid off asap.

Your needs will be met...just not now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:20:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I can let you guys know what the CS Rep told me.  I asked about options and FFL stuff.  What I was told about the FFL's is similar to what is being said on here.  Mostly it is because they are already set up and it makes shipping easier.  Basically I was told they are keeping things as simple as possible until they can get the MDR out on shelves.  The CS Rep said they have already started producing rifles (what that means or how many... he wouldn't say) and to expect them in to start arriving in April.  Extra parts aren't available yet.  Mil / LEO discount has to be done through another guy that you need to call / email.  Online sales at the sight will be charged at the point of sale.  

Now here's hoping I get to play with one before may.  It sucks that the rifle is halfway across the state, but it's not the farthest I have drove for a new toy yet

FA
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top