Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm still holding out for the MDR, I'm not in a hurry.  There is simply nothing else like it out there...
View Quote
Including the MDR itself....

Too soon?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

On another note, I know it's still cold in a lot of the country, but has the guy that posted earlier, or any other regular Joe been able to shoot any groups with match ammo through their DTs?

At this point it's going to have to shoot cloverleafs, but if it does, it's still in the game.
View Quote
Was frozen in place with weather, then made it back out for round 2.
20 rounds in of sighting in with new optic and shooting mostly ball, the M-lok rail I had my bipod on pulled through the handguard.... Pretty much packed up at that point.

On the way back to DT for CH, handguard, still stiff AF mag release and asked if their manual claimed 'crisp 4.6#' trigger is really a 6.x trigger, and if so, they should stop being misleading about it.

One odd jam, wound up with a live round in the ejection side 'clip,' removed, dropped mag and ran CH, back in business. Overall with perhaps 140 rounds through it, reliable otherwise, but too soon to say, as I want at least 1k down the pipe, and of course, being able to reliably use a bipod.

Will see what comes back.  It went ground, so maybe will hear from them towards end of the week, the hopefully another round of accuracy testing,  Before packing it in, I shot done FGMM, Outback 168gr SMK175, and Amax 155. Amax again came out on top.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Including the MDR itself....

Too soon?
View Quote
I guess, my # actually came up with Oakland Tactical, but I passed cause of the Other forum GB.  As I said, not in a hurry.  Plenty of things to keep me busy in the mean time...
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. From the pictures in the article, it looks like the hand guard has a picatinney rail at the 5 O'clock and 12 O'clock positions. I hope it also has them at the 6 O'clock position.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Was frozen in place with weather, then made it back out for round 2.
20 rounds in of sighting in with new optic and shooting mostly ball, the M-lok rail I had my bipod on pulled through the handguard.... Pretty much packed up at that point.

On the way back to DT for CH, handguard, still stiff AF mag release and asked if their manual claimed 'crisp 4.6#' trigger is really a 6.x trigger, and if so, they should stop being misleading about it.

One odd jam, wound up with a live round in the ejection side 'clip,' removed, dropped mag and ran CH, back in business. Overall with perhaps 140 rounds through it, reliable otherwise, but too soon to say, as I want at least 1k down the pipe, and of course, being able to reliably use a bipod.

Will see what comes back.  It went ground, so maybe will hear from them towards end of the week, the hopefully another round of accuracy testing,  Before packing it in, I shot done FGMM, Outback 168gr SMK175, and Amax 155. Amax again came out on top.
View Quote
@rtpguy

What were your groups like with the good stuff?

Also, I don't think 1 failure this early on in the life of the gun is anything to worry about unless it starts popping up. I've not had any failures in my Tavor, but on my ARP 6.8 Recon I had two with a good mag in the first few rounds. Never had one again with about 3500rds through it. I've had several weapons that had failures in the first mag or two, but then never had another with thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interesting. From the pictures in the article, it looks like the hand guard has a picatinney rail at the 5 O'clock and 12 O'clock positions. I hope it also has them at the 6 O'clock position.
View Quote
It's the enlarged suppressor foreend with ErgoGrip panels.  It has MLok at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions and 1913 at 12 o'clock.  Anything else you see might be a trick of the light on the vent holes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@rtpguy

What were your groups like with the good stuff?

Also, I don't think 1 failure this early on in the life of the gun is anything to worry about unless it starts popping up. I've not had any failures in my Tavor, but on my ARP 6.8 Recon I had two with a good mag in the first few rounds. Never had one again with about 3500rds through it. I've had several weapons that had failures in the first mag or two, but then never had another with thousands of rounds.
View Quote
About MOA with the Amax.  Due to the hand guard issue, didn't really shoot any more for groups that day and just ran some all through hitting steel, as my factory match ammo is limited.  I did shoot a few Hornady 178gr BTHP but haven't reviewed the targets since shooting - from memory, the Amax was still the winner there.  Will see more once it comes back.

I'm not overly concerned on the single failure of extraction at this point, more on the hand guard and 'how things are once the rifle comes back from DT.'  
I think I saw 'coldboremiracle' post somewhere describing exactly what seemed to happen on the one failure, and the rifle is still being broken in - it has ~80 rounds through on first outing and maybe another 40 on the second.

Assuming it comes back w/handguard fixed and charging handle locking up reliably on the left hand side, will run through the rest of the match ammo on hand.  Still have some concerns on the mag release, and want to know what they say about the trigger.  The trigger isn't bad, but is more 6.4 than 4.6# going by feel (pull gauge still to be located - sigh, moving sucks sometimes!).

It seems like they're producing more rifles at this point.  I'm hopeful the mag release is one of the items improved, as I still have a 5.56 order pending.  I think it's less of an issue with semi-precision shooting, but for 3 gun with the 5.56, I definitely care if the mag release is stiff to the point of missing a mag drop/change.

So pretty much - not much more to say or see at this point until the rifle's back from DT, then giving it another shot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I am just ready for this saga to be over, no matter what the end result is.  It is ridiculous that we have spent so much time talking about and desiring this object.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Meanwhile.......Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember years ago when the MDR was in the earlier stages of their pre-release debacle, the MDR cheerleaders knocked the RFB for its weight, limited availability, and reliability issues. Now that the MDR “released” there’s more than a little irony to that.

I’ve always wanted one, I’ve heard they’re nice. The Tavor 7 will probably keep me from ever getting either now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:09:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

About MOA with the Amax.  Due to the hand guard issue, didn't really shoot any more for groups that day and just ran some all through hitting steel, as my factory match ammo is limited.  I did shoot a few Hornady 178gr BTHP but haven't reviewed the targets since shooting - from memory, the Amax was still the winner there.  Will see more once it comes back.

I'm not overly concerned on the single failure of extraction at this point, more on the hand guard and 'how things are once the rifle comes back from DT.'  
I think I saw 'coldboremiracle' post somewhere describing exactly what seemed to happen on the one failure, and the rifle is still being broken in - it has ~80 rounds through on first outing and maybe another 40 on the second.

Assuming it comes back w/handguard fixed and charging handle locking up reliably on the left hand side, will run through the rest of the match ammo on hand.  Still have some concerns on the mag release, and want to know what they say about the trigger.  The trigger isn't bad, but is more 6.4 than 4.6# going by feel (pull gauge still to be located - sigh, moving sucks sometimes!).

It seems like they're producing more rifles at this point.  I'm hopeful the mag release is one of the items improved, as I still have a 5.56 order pending.  I think it's less of an issue with semi-precision shooting, but for 3 gun with the 5.56, I definitely care if the mag release is stiff to the point of missing a mag drop/change.

So pretty much - not much more to say or see at this point until the rifle's back from DT, then giving it another shot.
View Quote
1MOA is very good, especially being new to the gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember years ago when the MDR was in the earlier stages of their pre-release debacle, the MDR cheerleaders knocked the RFB for its weight, limited availability, and reliability issues. Now that the MDR “released” there’s more than a little irony to that.

I’ve always wanted one, I’ve heard they’re nice. The Tavor 7 will probably keep me from ever getting either now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just got the RFB after I acquired a Tavor awhile back. These bull pups start to grow on you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just got the RFB after I acquired a Tavor awhile back. These bull pups start to grow on you.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347041/7D46981C-7E2E-4E01-BDAC-FDAD31356227-436926.JPG
View Quote
Still like my RFB, had it since they first came out, sub-500 serial number.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I really wanted to like my rfb. The trigger was good, it was reliable, ergonomic,.... It just it patterned rather than grouped. It was loud as hell suppressed due to the gas system design and I didn't like having to buy a whole other type of 308 mag.

The mdr seems to fix those issues so far but takes a step back on the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I really wanted to like my rfb. The trigger was good, it was reliable, ergonomic,.... It just it patterned rather than grouped. It was loud as hell suppressed due to the gas system design and I didn't like having to buy a whole other type of 308 mag.

The seems to fix those issues so far but takes a step back on the trigger.
View Quote
Mine is a little ammo picky when it comes to groups, I didn't expect match accuracy.

German DAG groups as good or better than 168gr Hornady match, for example
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's the enlarged suppressor foreend with ErgoGrip panels.  It has MLok at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions and 1913 at 12 o'clock.  Anything else you see might be a trick of the light on the vent holes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MLOK? Ah heck, that sucks. I hate that crap. Will have to buy some picatinney rails to fill in the Mlok BS.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a POS KelTec RFB back when they were first shipping. Took over a year to finally get one after they finally started shipping them. And it turned out to be garbage. Sold it at a loss to get rid of it. The one good thing that I have to say about KelTec is that they have outstanding customer service. Kind of like Taurus, because their products will need it. Mine had a shell ejection chute that was too small and caused casing to jam up inside the frame. They sent a brand new, unfinished one without charge. Then I noticed that it would only work with my surplus FN FAL magazines. The DSA magazines were worthless paper weights with the RFB.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a POS KelTec RFB back when they were first shipping. Took over a year to finally get one after they finally started shipping them. And it turned out to be garbage. Sold it at a loss to get rid of it. The one good thing that I have to say about KelTec is that they have outstanding customer service. Kind of like Taurus, because their products will need it. Mine had a shell ejection chute that was too small and caused casing to jam up inside the frame. They sent a brand new, unfinished one without charge. Then I noticed that it would only work with my surplus FN FAL magazines. The DSA magazines were worthless paper weights with the RFB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That’s funny as my ds arms magazines work fine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember when the RFB was first released and this was a real issue.  Whether it was the gun or the mag, I don't recall, but they wouldn't work with the DSA mags available at that time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I remember when the RFB was first released and this was a real issue.  Whether it was the gun or the mag, I don't recall, but they wouldn't work with the DSA mags available at that time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DSA mags are garbage. They don't function in my several year old DSA FAL at all. 100% with surplus or Moses Mags. I've spent a ton of time trying to get them to work right. Mine are the second gen I think.

Anywho, is there a February update out of DT?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#22]
We need a Febtober topic title update. This thread has been entertaining me in my subscriptions list for months.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If these function well and shoot decently, there may be a lot of people asking for a 6.5-something conversion.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If these function well and shoot decently, there may be a lot of people asking for a 6.5-something conversion.
View Quote
How does a first quarter 2048 release sound?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:22:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Username checks out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
ES-Tactical is already making a 6.5 Creedmoor conversion for the MDR and Shooting Sight is working on a new trigger for it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We need a Febtober topic title update. This thread has been entertaining me in my subscriptions list for months.
View Quote
@CowboyWubWub seems like we could incorporate Chinese New Year somehow - since it's going to be the "Year of the Dog!"
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Username checks out.
View Quote
I swear I’m not from the future
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep Caliber changes for a non existent gun worlds easiest DIY in your garage too
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Another way to be out a bunch of money for an indeterminate time - note the disclaimer:
NOTE: Item may be allocated, pre-purchase, special order, item ships when released to dealer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#32]
did you read the add ?

typical DT stuff

NOTE: Item may be allocated, pre-purchase, special order, item ships when released to dealer.

Doh beaten to the punch

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#33]
lol.

That is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Time for a title update OP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Time for a title update OP.
View Quote
How about it’s tomorrow and still no gun lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
First Desert Tech MDR Owner | Desert Tech

This video came through my feed for some reason.

I didn't even know they had their own youtube channel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbyFgv7fPq8

View Quote
That's a nice commercial by DT. It's BS , but it's a nice commercial. lol
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol at the flinches at 15:10 when the trigger wasn't as light as he was expecting...
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
lol at the flinches at 15:10 when the trigger wasn't as light as he was expecting...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just another WTF moment in the MDR.  A company known for precision rifles puts together a semi-auto wunderwaffe priced close to $3000 and you need to go drop another $200 or whatever for a good trigger?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just another WTF moment in the MDR.  A company known for precision rifles puts together a semi-auto wunderwaffe priced close to $3000 and you need to go drop another $200 or whatever for a good trigger?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DT never said it would be a light target trigger; quite the contrary, they said it would be a trigger designed for a battle rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

DT never said it would be a light target trigger; quite the contrary, they said it would be a trigger designed for a battle rifle.
View Quote
Really...because I am pretty sure they've talked about a 4.5-5lb trigger all along including in their official updates: https://deserttech.com/blog/mdr-update-march-2017/
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be 2 stage. Also pretty sure Nick was still saying it was a 2 stage when the first ones started shipping and people started making their complaints known.

ETA: looked for it on bpf but maybe it was on a facebook post.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The thing with the MDR is that:

1. They seem to have made it with 'crowd-funding' (where they used peoples' pre-order money as interest free loans to finance its development). That would be fine, if they were open about it.
2. After getting the money, they pushed back its delivery by years, with a different excuse every month, while changing its specifications.
3. The CEO of the company started writing literal troll posts on forums (complete with mistakes in basic spelling and grammar).
4. When they finally produced and released about 10 of the rifles - it turned out they were using their customers as beta-testers and quality control inspectors, as they all needed to be sent back for modifications at one point or  another.
5. Maybe a year from now, when they finally get all the beta-testing out the way (using their customers as guinea pigs to check for faults along the way), it will become a decent option.
View Quote
This ^
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Really...because I am pretty sure they've talked about a 4.5-5lb trigger all along including in their official updates: https://deserttech.com/blog/mdr-update-march-2017/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm simply telling you what I was told by the DT rep when I handled the MDR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This ^
View Quote
Double this.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Between work and crappy weather when I do have time I haven't been shooting much of anything lately.

I was bored today and I've been looking for some kind of brass catcher option for the mdr. It's fine when practicing with the chute one. Brass only goes 4-5ft forward. When shooting on the move off a 4 wheeler or out of a helicopter if I take it up is another story. I haven't contacted tbr about making one but I can verify that the Caldwell picatinny mount catcher doesn't work, in stock form.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Now to see if it works.

I used some 1/8" Tig filler to make new mounting rails to drop the opening lower and then put a bent piece in in the back to clear the ejection chute and get it closer to the receiver. Went ahead and beefed up the tacks that Caldwell had holding it together with some .035 mig wire as filler. Not new to welding but I am to Tig. Just bought a machine this week. Easy project that would have taken me 30-40 min if it weren't for me dipping the tungsten so many times.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the link above:
The trigger pull weight on production MDR’s is measuring at 4.8 lbs on average.
From the owners manual:
crisp 4.6# trigger
My MDR should be back today and got annoyed looking for my pull gauge so bought another - will see.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Between work and crappy weather when I do have time I haven't been shooting much of anything lately.

I was bored today and I've been looking for some kind of brass catcher option for the mdr. It's fine when practicing with the chute one. Brass only goes 4-5ft forward. When shooting on the move off a 4 wheeler or out of a helicopter if I take it up is another story. I haven't contacted tbr about making one but I can verify that the Caldwell picatinny mount catcher doesn't work, in stock form.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/IMG_5471-449179.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/IMG_5470-449178.JPG

Now to see if it works.

I used some 1/8" Tig filler to make new mounting rails to drop the opening lower and then put a bent piece in in the back to clear the ejection chute and get it closer to the receiver. Went ahead and beefed up the tacks that Caldwell had holding it together with some .035 mig wire as filler. Not new to welding but I am to Tig. Just bought a machine this week. Easy project that would have taken me 30-40 min if it weren't for me dipping the tungsten so many times.
View Quote
Would it work better if you slid it forward a bit for more clearance in front of the ejection port?
Obviously you're out of rail to slide it back and just remove the ejection chute.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Would it work better if you slid it forward a bit for more clearance in front of the ejection port?
Obviously you're out of rail to slide it back and just remove the ejection chute.
View Quote
Then the bag is going to get in the way of the grip. I thought about extending the rails forward so I could get it all the way back with the cover off but I think that is asking for malfunctions given how hard the mdr throws them. Plus I don't like that gaping hole to get crap into the internals.

Ejection chute hole is a much smaller opening for a case to bounce back in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#50]
@newguy - cool project, looking forward to seeing how it turns out (from someone who bought a $$$ Steyr AUG brass collector and had to modify it to fit my A3 ;) ).

So, my MDR arrived back this am.  Charging handle lock back is now solid.  
I was tired of not being able to find my cheap trigger pull gauge, so bought a Wheeler 'Pro' Digital gauge.
Putting the gauge sensor in the center of the trigger bend yields higher #s, but looking at where my finger makes contact 'naturally' is a bit lower, almost in front of the rear 'angled edge' of the trigger, so I used there for the gauge sensor position (the Wheeler has a remote sensor that sits on the trigger itself), and did 10 'runs.'

Avg of ~4.25#. low of 3 # 14oz, high of 4lbs, 7oz, so some variance.  Maybe it will break in further to be more consistent - dunno.
I'll note I called out the trigger (and mag release) when I'd sent it back and it does feel lighter than when I'd sent it in, but by feel, it doesn't feel as light as it's reading, to me - likely down to the distance and overall feel.  Will compare to my full hammer packed AUG later, but technically, it is a 4.x# trigger, or at least mine is.... now.  YMMV as always.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top